Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice!

Options
  • 27-07-2005 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Hi I have chosen these parts so far for my new dual core rig.

AMD 64 X2 4200 DUAL CORE
    MSI K8N Platinum SLI NF4 motherboard
    SONY SDM-S94/S Silver-Gray 19" 25ms LCD Monitor
    Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS case Black with Window

I need advice here on a water cooling system and on the memory bearing in mind I hope to overclock this system.

I will prob go for the 6680gt graphics card, a 400gb hdd, dual layer dvd writer and a creative 7.1 sound card.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Mobo is crap and so is the 19"...25ms??, i've seen 19" with 8ms. I'd get the Asus SLi Premium if i were you. Memory...OCZ PC4800.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

where you gonna buy the dual core?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Gonna get it on ebay! any advice on water cooling it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

See the other thread by Spike for a recommendation on a good watercooling kit.

Gonna get it on ebay! any advice on water cooling it?

custom setup is really the only decent way to go, depends if you want to get your hands "dirty" so to speak. If you want an easy setup i suppose an aquarius or something like that is fine.

• Advertisement

would prefer to get dirty! any advice here?

would prefer to get dirty! any advice here?

TBH this has been covered loads of times on boards, if you just search back there are loads of threads of people asking for watercooling advice.

Check out the recommendation I gave to Spike. It is a complete kit from Danger Den, who are excellent, and will allow you to "get your hands dirty" whilst still being sure that everything will work together!
    <edit>And I agree with Richard about those two components being crap</edit>

WizZard wrote:
    Check out the recommendation I gave to Spike. It is a complete kit from Danger Den, who are excellent, and will allow you to "get your hands dirty" whilst still being sure that everything will work together!
    <edit>And I agree with Richard about those two components being crap</edit>

How about this cooling kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6788350111&fromMakeTrack=true

LCD SCREEN http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5222364949&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

the mobo Richard recommended and ocz pc4800 ram (1gb or 2gb to decide yet)

Nice kit, quite similar to the one I'm talking about. You do realise that to ship that to Ireland, if the buyer will even do that, will cost approx. €100 (USPS GEM) ;) And then you've got customs etc, cos it will be a biggish box so will go through SDS. and no tubing.

No idea about the TFT, but tbh I wouldn't try to build a new, good PC with stuff from eBay.

What have you got to spend?

• Advertisement

do not get a tft from ebay.. bad news and shipping will kill you

why not build it with stuff off ebay? I'v bought loads of comp stuff off ebab before and never had any problems with it!

I've bought both good stuff, and bad stuff from eBay. At the end of the day you have NO warranty, nor do you have any chance of getting a refund if something doesn't arrive or arrives dead/broken.
    eBay are nice til you try to claim for something - then it's just your word against the seller's.
    What if that TFT comes with 6 dead pixels? Komplett or a brick 'n' mortar store would replace it after pestering, but what can you do if you've bought it off eBay?

The thread is titled: Need Advice.

Well, that's mine: Don't buy your main components off eBay unless you like heartbreak...

how about this lcd on komplett http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306235&view=detailed I reckon its a good screen!

It's not bad, but it only has 24 bit colour
    Up to 16.2 million colors

You want one that says 16.7 million colours.

How about one of these

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

2GB you'll have to change the command rate to 2T which will give you a big performance hit. If you want 2GB get the OCZ 2GB kit with 2-3-2-5-1T timings....but it's only DDR400.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I thought you were saying on other threads that you were a poor student?!
    ;)

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    I thought you were saying on other threads that you were a poor student?!
    ;)

not if I can raise the funds for this project from my current rig! Ah ya see not spending any of my funds only what I get from the sale of my current rig! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

That would be sweet, to get the cost of such a new rig from selling the old, and I hope you manage it, but I seriously doubt it's gonna happen. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

That would be sweet, to get the cost of such a new rig from selling the old, and I hope you manage it, but I seriously doubt it's gonna happen

LOL, :D , well said m8.

• Advertisement

Dont worry I will make it happen yet!

Advertisement