Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phil Lynott statue unveiling!

Options
  • 27-07-2005 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

right i dunno if this is in the right place, but i don`t care.anyway, i know there is gonna be a statue of Phil Lynott unveiled in grafton street,and from what i hear it`s on the 19th of august.anyone know anything of this?any gigs gonna be on around there for it?i know theres one on the next day at the point or sumtin, but i wanna know if theres gonna be any like outdoor gig on the night or anything else like that planned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll make sure I steer clear of Grafton St. that day, for fear of overhearing some Phil Lynott or Thin Lizzy songs blaring down the street... shudder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭shacko

Never find Philo When are we gonna get a Statue for the legend that is Rory Gallagher. Never mind some junkie fecker who wasn't even born in Ireland.

RORY G

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

:( Shame on you guys. Phil Lynott was the greatest rocker that ever came out of this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

shacko wrote:
    Never mind some junkie fecker who wasn't even born in Ireland.

That's a fair description of most people in Dublin. First it was the Spire, a monument to the hypodermic needle and then we get a statue of a dead junkie.

What's next ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

shacko wrote:
    Never find Philo When are we gonna get a Statue for the legend that is Rory Gallagher. Never mind some junkie fecker who wasn't even born in Ireland.

RORY G

Same could be said for the 1990 world cup team
    9 were born in England

Typical

Gallagher began his recording career after moving to London, nobody here calling him a deserter are they

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

K-TRIC wrote:
    That's a fair description of most people in Dublin.
    Most people in Dublin are junkie feckers who weren't born in Ireland?

Are you alright?

cornbb wrote:
    :( Shame on you guys. Phil Lynott was the greatest rocker that ever came out of this country.

Come down off the smack. Everyone knows that was the G Man

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Oh please lets not all be so quick to jump on the Phil Lynott bashing bandwagon. You can't doubt his influence - and a lot of people hold strong affection for him.

Interestingly a statue of Luke Kelly just got the go-ahead as well. Lets hope they're all done tastefully. The last thing Dublin needs is a string of garish statues.

egan007 wrote:
    Idiot
    Same could be said for the 1990 world cup team
    9 were born in England

Typical

What do u mean typical . I dont think anyone on the irish squad should be playing for IrelandMost of em, were born in the Uk and all of them are permanatly based over there. I could understand it. If they were born in the Uk like Philo and moved over to ireland. Then by all means let em play for ireland. But for some of em the only exsposure they had to ireland growing up was the val Dunagan show.

Gallagheer began his recording carrer in the Derry not Lonon and he resided in cork not Leeds, or manchster or london or madrid etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Couldn't they paint one side of the statue white, and one side of the Afro ginger? Bingo, you've got a combination Lynott and Kelly statue. Lash a battered Fender on it and you've got Rory "What's all the fuss about" Gallagher covered too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

magpie

all joking aside - and it needs some work - but that's a cool idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frank Cronin

*** 19.08.05 PHIL LYNOTT statue unveiling - Harry Street corner of Grafton
    Street, 8-9pm

The Thin Lizzy legend is to be immortalised in a bronze statue on Dublin's
    predestrian shopping street. August 19 promises to be a red letter day for
    Philip Lynott aficionados as a lifesize bronze statue of the legendary Thin
    Lizzy man is unveiled in Dublin’s Grafton Street. A joint initiative between
    Dublin City Council and the Roisin Dubh Trust, the early evening ceremony will be followed by a ticket-only celebration, which is expected to attract Philo fans from all over the world. The festivities take place on the eve of what would have been his 56th birthday, and the street where he shot the famous ‘Old Town’ video.

www.roisindubh.info/unveiling.htm

*** 20.08.05 TRIBUTE TO PHILO, Point, 6pm, 59.50 - 79.50euro

The boy is very much back in town on August 20 when a slew of Phil Lynott’s
    friends and admirers gather for the mother of all tribute concerts in The
    Point.

Timed to coincide with the unveiling of a Philo statue in Grafton Street, the
    bill includes – deep breath! – Gary Moore, Eric Bell, Brian Downey, Scott
    Gorham, Brian Robertson, Brush Shiels, Wheatus, Therapy?, Biffy Clyro, Skye, Nutonic, Johnny Fean, Jack L, Danielle Pfiffner, Jason Swindle, Alaska Lyle and others still to be announced.

The bash is being organised by the Roisin Dubh Trust who are also putting
    together a Thin Lizzy covers album featuring Mundy, Declan O’Rourke, Damien Dempsey, Picturehouse, Blink, Q, Halite, Saucy Monky, Scott Maher, Silver Addictive, David Hopkins, Neil White, Liam Merriman, Sundogs, Colm Heaney, Duped, Jenny Lindfors, Steafan Hanvey and Salthouse.

Speaking about the forthcoming concert, Gary Moore said: "I'm taking part in
    the concert, out of my deep respect for Philip."

The Statue Unveiling Tribute To The Life & Music Of Philip Lynott, Aug 19th,
    Grafton Street.

www.roisindubh.info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

all joking aside - and it needs some work - but that's a cool idea

You could call the statue "The Spirit of Irish Rock". It would be a focal point for Spanish students to hang around and drink their McDonald's shakes.

magpie wrote:
    Couldn't they paint one side of the statue white, and one side of the Afro ginger? Bingo, you've got a combination Lynott and Kelly statue. Lash a battered Fender on it and you've got Rory "What's all the fuss about" Gallagher covered too.

That would cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Lynott inspired everyone from Metallica to the Smashing Pumpkins. The man is a legend who deserves to be immortalised. Period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

In fairness, we don't have many (any?) statues depicting famous Irish artists..

Memphis has 2 statues of Elvis, one at the top of Beale St. and another at the tourist information centre..

Give it time, we'll have a statue of Bono too.. probably of him holding his big fat wallet and smirking that smug grin :D

I do agree however that Rory Gallagher should be acknowledged. I saw his last ever Irish gig in front of Trinity for the Blues festival, and he was fuc*ing awsome!

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Right.

Posts edited for abuse flung. You can debate without name calling. Any more will result in a ban.

Keep it nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Pete Doherty

ok, well first of all thank u all. these comments have been of no help!

second, i believe in cork there was a statue FOR Rory Gallagher put up.
    here he has a street named after him, and i also think they are tryin to get a statue put up for him.

BUT THAT IS NOT ENOUGH!!! there should be like a day off school/work to remember Rory cuz HE was the best musician to ever come from ireland. no one i know knows about him! im disgusted! look at the ****e bein produced here now, ****in Boyzone in the 90`s and now westlife. if people knew more of rory i think there would be more of an attempt for people to try and help people at music and having a real music career, and more oppertunites for people too.

btw, all of u, if u have kids, or when u have kids, tell them about Rory and Phil, i think they may die again, this time from existence of peoples minds.

and also, has ANYONE ANY info on the day of the 19th, like i asked the first time? please, please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Pete Doherty

Give it time, we'll have a statue of Bono too.. probably of him holding his big fat wallet and smirking that smug grin :D

^^^^^ we better not!! he is a wanker!! he just wants to be Bob Geldof. now theres a guy we should have a statue for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Maynooth

Is this true?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Heroin

is what true? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

Go-on the Philo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

lads theres a rory gallagher corner in temple bar & surely his statue would be more appropriate in cork anyway??
    Philo hardly ever gets any recognition possibly because of his drug related death.
    i mean they werent too long about erecting a memorial to veronica guerin in dublin castle were they?
    geldof has spent most of his life outside Ireland too but we dont mind claiming him as "one of our own"

Where I work we just made a little mini-documentary on Phil Lynott. It's really just a short interview with his mother.

I might stick up on the website this week if anyone is interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

As far as the hybrid statue of rory/philo/luke/bono is concerned - stick bonos arse on it & it can be used as seat, put statues of the corr sisters, sinead oconnor & dolly oriordan holding hands together & people will have somewhere to lock their bicycles....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭qwertyphobia

there is a monument for Rory Gallagher in Cork city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

In fairness, we don't have many (any?) statues depicting famous Irish artists..
    James Joyce, Patrick Kavanagh, Brendan Behan, Thomas Moore and Oscar Wilde come to mind.

You could include the likes of Thomas Davis I suppose, who is commemorated as a politician, but also wrote songs.

Anyone want to start giving the stutue a clever dublin nickname such as 'the tart with the cart' 'the prick with the stick' 'the fag on the crag'....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 paulgreene

I'm very glad to have discoevered the songs of this guy. I was in fact building a page with all statues in Dublin: here and when I found Phyl, I was just wondering who this gy could be. Well, now I heard his song, and that's cool :) don't care if he was a juncky, I love his song and that's all.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement