Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford CC Boundary extension proposal

Options
  • 27-07-2005 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

For those of you living in a cave or not from kilkenny, waterford county council have proposed extending the county boundary into kilkenny, taking 5000 people, and up to 20 townslands.

The words Land Grabbing ******** comes to mind.
    More here: http://www.waterfordcity.ie/notices.htm
    This weeks (Week ending july 29th 05) Kilkenny people has good coverage of it.

Anyway, those wishing to oppose please make your complaints to:

Paddy Power
    Director of Services
    Housing and Corporate Affairs
    City Hall
    The Mall
    Waterford
    To be received not later than 4.00 p.m. on 26th September, 2005.
    Let them know what you think is a good start.
    Letting Environment minister Dick Roche know what you think, might not go astray either, similarly, local politicians, etc, but im sure they will most likely all be against it (in KK anyway).
    Dick Roche is the man in charge of such affars, in the government.

I dont have the words to describe how i feel about this proposal unbelieveable.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

What the hell - this is the first I have heard of it. :eek:

Just after looking at the map and they are taking a mighty chunk of land, way more then they need to extend the city. why cant the keep heading south like they have always done.

This is completly ridiculous.

Good to see Councillor Dick Dowling putting the foot down. Its all about the control of Waterford port and of course MONEY!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭daithi

Waterford City forum have been having a rant about this, since there is an obvious conflict in interest, i started a thread here. This is their thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=281649

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Yeah, spotted that.

Posted there as well giving out! I chucked in your link from your first post.

Hope you dont mind

N.

(P.S. Nice new Avatar! :) )

Edit: Just looking at the waterford forum - may have displeased a few people with my comment!

Time for the people of kilkenny to demonstrate their patriotism
    People from the deise might do well to read this:http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=patriotism :p
    Yeah, shiny new avatar :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Guys play nice, I may be in Waterford but my powers already extend across the river! :)

I suspect the area of land proposed will be reduced as a sop to KCC (maybe thats why its so big to start with).

Mike.

• Advertisement

yes, it could be a cunning plan such as that alright.but i think its most likely a bold move to be in control of everything inside the bypass, hence my reason to jump on the greed bandwagon,
    And a fun bandwagon it is too might i add.
    I can see waterford being tarred as landgrabbers for the next couple of hundred years if this goes through.

The way i put this into perspective is that I imaging other counties doing the same, and see how i would feel.
    For example Carlow town deciding to grab a lump of laois as the town is split between them. Does not seem fair, unless of course there is some give and take, and laois were offered something in exchange.

The loss of such a massive area of Kilkenny would be a cultural and financial blow to the county, it would result in bad blood between waterford and kilkenny, which at the moment, waterford only really care about.
    Kilkenny dont give care much for waterford from my experience, they are more concerned with rivalry with old hurling adversaries, And that is realtively friendly.
    The hostility of this move by waterford County Council is unbelieveable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Grow up guys. It is a minor administrative adjustment, that makes a lot of sense. I am sure you all have more important things to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Dac51

daithi wrote:
    For those of you living in a cave or not from kilkenny, waterford county council have proposed extending the county boundary into kilkenny, taking 5000 people, and up to 20 townslands.

Actually it's Waterford City Council who are making the proposal. Just thought I'd clear that up.

Well spotted

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Flukey wrote:
    Grow up guys. It is a minor administrative adjustment, that makes a lot of sense. I am sure you all have more important things to worry about.

Might be minor if your from Dublin but I can see this unjustified land grabbing exercise being fought tooth & nail.
    As the KP said last week, "not an inch".
    Pity Liam Aylward is in Europe nowadays but hopefully he will take a major role in all this as he did previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Anyone see the article in the Irish independent about this today? The Kilkenny councillors came off looking like a bunch of twats, as they kept comparing Waterford City Council's actions to those of Nazi Germany.
    Someone should tell them about Godwin's Law :)

kk people featured this also. A bit of a step to far i think, these kind of headlines do nothing to help the situation, however if you do read the full article on the front page of the kk people, it does raise some good points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Linkage anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

Here is another map of the boundary extension.

The Langrabbers Map

The size of the extension proposal is approx 20 square kilometres but according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterford Waterford city is 41.58km² in size currently.
    I presume this is the administrative area, and not the actual size of the current urban (built up) area, which would be a bit less.

When are the blas getting that sign changed:

Waterford twinned with Rochester New York, St johns Newfoundland, Saint-Herblain, France and BERLIN, Germany!

You should really ask that in the waterford city forum id say.
    http://www.waterfordcity.ie/city/twinned.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

Bond-007 wrote:
    When are the blas getting that sign changed:

Waterford twinned with Rochester New York, St johns Newfoundland, Saint-Herblain, France and BERLIN, Germany!

To be honest that is not twinned.....but quintuplets to be exact.... :D

Waterford the Bigamist! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

daithi wrote:
    yes, it could be a cunning plan such as that alright.but i think its most likely a bold move to be in control of everything inside the bypass, hence my reason to jump on the greed bandwagon,
    And a fun bandwagon it is too might i add.
    I can see waterford being tarred as landgrabbers for the next couple of hundred years if this goes through.

The way i put this into perspective is that I imaging other counties doing the same, and see how i would feel.
    For example Carlow town deciding to grab a lump of laois as the town is split between them. Does not seem fair, unless of course there is some give and take, and laois were offered something in exchange.

The loss of such a massive area of Kilkenny would be a cultural and financial blow to the county, it would result in bad blood between waterford and kilkenny, which at the moment, waterford only really care about.
    Kilkenny dont give care much for waterford from my experience, they are more concerned with rivalry with old hurling adversaries, And that is realtively friendly.
    The hostility of this move by waterford County Council is unbelieveable.

Yawn. BOOOOORING!!. Give it a rest will ya! And it's Waterford CITY council (and that's an actual City BTW, not a wannabee like KK Town!!). And is hurling the only productive counter-argument you can come up with? :eek: :D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

daithi wrote:
    Waterford City forum have been having a rant about this, since there is an obvious conflict in interest, i started a thread here. This is their thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=281649

And you weren't ranting in that thread??!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

I was in favour of this being from the good side of the bridge, but feck sake that is a big chunk of land. I don't think they need that much and i doubt they wll get that much. They don't need slieverue - a border south of that would be fine although its important to get bellview as it is pretty much waterford's port.

But sure look what are kilkenny coco doing with the area development wise? sweet f*ck all.

kano476 wrote:
    I was in favour of this being from the good side of the bridge, but feck sake that is a big chunk of land. I don't think they need that much and i doubt they wll get that much. They don't need slieverue - a border south of that would be fine although its important to get bellview as it is pretty much waterford's port.

But sure look what are kilkenny coco doing with the area development wise? sweet f*ck all.

A very valid comment. Personally - being from Waterford City - I couldn't care less whether or not the extension goes ahead. It will make no difference to us. What I do have a problem with is the constant castigation of this City by some yokels who depend on it 100% for their living, education, and health needs.

And when I hear them throwing hurling into every argument I have to laugh. Not being a GAA supporter I cannot understand this. Being good at banging a ball around with two sticks doesn't put food on the table or improve your quality of life.

There was a recent petition delivered to City Hall in Waterford by what can only be described as the Beverly Hillbillys. One of them was even going on about wearing a black and amber knickers - a very valuable contribution to the debate.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The argument of people living in Kilkenny and depending on waterford holds no water. Look at the likes of Dublin. Thousands of people work in Dublin all day but commute from the surrounding counties. Plenty of Waterford-dwellers work in Kilkenny too you know.

Stephen wrote:
    The argument of people living in Kilkenny and depending on waterford holds no water. Look at the likes of Dublin. Thousands of people work in Dublin all day but commute from the surrounding counties. Plenty of Waterford-dwellers work in Kilkenny too you know.

Not the same argument. There isn't the sme animosity practiced against Dublin by their neighbours as there is against Waterford by Kilkenny. Yeah there are a few working in Kilkenny. I saw the three of them heading over the Bridge the other morning.:eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Freddie59 wrote:
    Yeah there are a few working in Kilkenny. I saw the three of them heading over the Bridge the other morning.:eek:

Speaking from experience, there's alot more Anti-Kilkenny sentiment in Waterford then their is Anti-Waterford sentiment in Kilkenny.

Freddie59, your comment above is the perfect example and I can see your helping this trend out.... :rolleyes:

People in Kilkenny don't give a crap of people from Carlow etc come down and work in Kilkenny, but yet alot of Waterford people seem to have a massive chip on their shoulders when Kilkenny people work in Waterford, personally I see no reason for this as in the end the employer will choose who's best at the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

A lot people from new ross/wexford work in Waterford as well for feck sake and who really cares if people are from Kilkenny, Wexford, Nigeria as long as they do a good job.

Kilkenny cc don’t care about us down in the south, they have done feck all to develop the area...

angry_fox wrote:
    A lot people from new ross/wexford work in Waterford as well for feck sake and who really cares if people are from Kilkenny, Wexford, Nigeria as long as they do a good job.

Kilkenny cc don’t care about us down in the south, they have done feck all to develop the area...

so you're in favour of the extension then?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Hey guys I thought there was an announcement on the radio awhile ago that the oreachtas told Waterford City Council to forget the idea and stop wasting taxpayers money on something that so many people were opposed too

• Advertisement

trishw78 wrote:
    Hey guys I thought there was an announcement on the radio awhile ago that the oreachtas told Waterford City Council to forget the idea and stop wasting taxpayers money on something that so many people were opposed too

It's gonna happen....ya can't stop it........only delay it!!!:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement