Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Pubs

Options
  • 28-07-2005 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I am involved in a website where we review pubs in the Cork and Munster region in our spare time. It's all for a bit of fun. I was just wondering if anyone in the Munster area would like to recommend a pub for us to review. It doesn't matter what you like about it. We have reviewed 230 pubs, mainly in Cork. I'd appreciate suggestions!! The site is www.munsterpubs.com

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

That site seems very familiar for some reason.. I cant put my finger on it... oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Why have you not reviewed any in Limerick????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I just took a quick look at it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Aoife Landers closed? and it's the pub reviewed today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jetty

This is a review from a while back. I didn't know it was closed. Thanks for letting me know. We haven't got around to Limerick yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ProfPersikov

I had a quick flick down through the listings, but I don't think I spotted any reviews of Tom Barry's on Barrack St. It'd be well worth the visit. You might also want to give a minor update to the review of Nancy Spains as they've cleaned the place up (basically they power-hosed and white-washed the walls then added some potted-plants). They also ripped the roof off the back section to turn it into a beer garden. The beer/crowd is pretty much the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

rymus wrote:
    That site seems very familiar for some reason.. I cant put my finger on it... oh well

ryan that is an huge site, there is so much "stuff" there are you an alcoholic, and how did you taken pictures of the jacks, that musta been a bit dodgy :)

i cant and wont take credit for the majority of the entries on there.. jetty there is the resident alcoholic workhorse behind the site, I just sit in the background making grumbling noises and clicking buttons when things go wrong.

I do review now and then but theyre normally few and far between. Alot of the stuff on the site is from memory which is why you may find inaccuracies from time to time; a la Aoife Landers. Two people trying to cover the majority of the pubs in Munster is a daunting task... and that's not even speaking from our livers point of view.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

rymus wrote:
    I just sit in the background making grumbling noises and clicking buttons when things go wrong.
    Millennium hand and shrimp!

dahamsta wrote:
    Millennium hand and shrimp!

one doesn't understand ones joke

vector wrote:
    one doesn't understand ones joke
    Buggrit!

• Advertisement

one is now wearing the emperors new clothes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭netron

http://www.munsterpubs.com/

the white text on black gives me a headache.

besides that, the site looks fine , although , it may lend itself better to a Wiki style format. Selecting the Cork category, for example , results in a HUGE long list of Cork pub reviews, whereas with a Wiki , you'd have a list of the pub names (and maybe an A to Z menu) which you can then click into to review individual pub reviews.

No permalinks either or mod rewriting - both should be added if you want to get picked up by the search engines.

I had been considering the reworking of the site and I've been aware of the category listing problem for a while, just got put on the back burner.. I hadn't considered using wiki and admittedly don't know much about it but I'll have a looksee.

The plan some months ago was to move the site from MT to Wordpress, which I'm now using for my own site. Fiddle around with the category listings a bit and generally make the whole thing look bit tidier.

Thanks for the suggestions netron, I'll certainly look into the whole wiki idea...

Didn't notice the wiki suggestion, but good idea. Would allow people to post their own reviews, which was my original intention here (might still do it for restaurants). I wouldn't use it for the main listings though, there's better ways of listing information.

adam

opening up the site to any ol' Joe wanting to write a review could be (would be) hell on a stick. Instead we'd prefer to get a few people that we know can write a few decent, unbiased paragraphs without resorting to profanity or name calling (because that's my department).

Set WordPress up so submissions aren't published automatically?

adam

Advertisement