Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copying Someone Elses Tattoo

Options
  • 28-07-2005 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I seen a picture of a tattoo I really like but should I get that one even though somebody else has it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Depends if its from flash art you can get it, if its a custom design don't get it. Personally i think you should go for something original.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

if its flash then go for it but dont just assume it is!
    Think about if you got something done and you some someone else walking down the street with the same thing done?
    Personally if I knew that he ripped it off I would probly go ask him where he got the design and who did it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Tribal Joe wrote:
    I seen a picture of a tattoo I really like but should I get that one even though somebody else has it?

It depends, I mean all of my tattoos are from the book of kells and I have seen most of them on other people but as it is inspired by ancient art I dont have a problem with that.
    If however the artist is someone who only did the one piece and took the time and effort to design an "original" tattoo for themselves then get with the program and dont be so lazy and let it inspire you to do your own.
    It is very annoying for people to design a custom tattoo only to see it on someone else in Bmezine a few months later cos some cretin cant be bothered to find something original
    There's no problem with using their tattoo for ideas, art is supposed to be inspiring, but dont be one of those "cretins" and get someone to draw up yours or sketch something yourself and bring it to a tattoo artist to refine.
    It's not that hard really.

Did you look over peoples shoulders when you were doing exams as a kid, or did you stand on your own two feet, the fact that you are asking the question would suggest the latter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Tribal Joe wrote:

NO!!! Try in whatever way to make it your own. If you had a really great tattoo, and then saw someone with the exact same one, wouldn't it piss you off???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Back in rennaisance days (can't remember how to spell it) artists would draw loads of similar pictures... pictures inspired by biblical stories and whatnot... lots of Madonna and Childs...

They would all have their own little slant on these things but be quite similar... look at two Madonna and Childs from back in the day... they've all got the same theme but have the artists twist in them

Best bet is to take the picture and put your own little twist on it... good art is inspired by other art but also by real life and the artists own experiences and whatnot...

Try redrawing it and changing little bits to reflect something that means something to you that's more inspired by yourself, or bring the picture to the tattoo artist and tell him/her you want something like it but a bit more original

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Tribal Joe

I decided I don'tlike the idea of copying someone elses tattoo so I'm going to use that design and modify it to make it original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Tribal Joe wrote:
    I decided I don'tlike the idea of copying someone elses tattoo so I'm going to use that design and modify it to make it original.

You'll get more out of it that way, good call.

Advertisement