Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major MSN voip problem

Options
  • 28-07-2005 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

At the moment im having great problems with voip using msn. Skype works no problems. what is happening is when i try to contact a friend through msn voip, and they accept, it jam's or makes the router freeze. i have a 4mbit/256k connection and the router is a SMC Barricade 7204bra. I also tried the same with a different router, a zyxel prestige router. but this time when the voip was connecting i would get a message telling me that the other contact has refused a voice conversation. anybody know what could be wrong???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

I suspect it's a firewall issue.
    Either your friends firewall on their router or their software firewall is refusing the connection, port closed etc. - or a similar issue on your side.

skype generally uses port 80 which is always open for http business.
    Apparently MSN uses ports 6901 & 6891-6900.

You might have luck in this M$ KB entry

hth,
    causal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

How do i check these ports on my router. Its an SMC BARRICADE 7204BRA

How do i check these ports on my router. Its an SMC BARRICADE 7204BRA
    There should be a configuration utility for the router where you can check port forwarding etc. It should say in the manual.
    Other suggestions are to:
    - ensure UPnP is enabled (but I think your router doesn't support UPnP)
    - so you may need to setup a proxy - apparently MSN VoIP won't function behind a NAT.
    Here is another thread that may be of interest
    389 : TCP MSN NetMeeting
    522 : TCP MSN NetMeeting
    1024 : UDP MSN NetMeeting (ports 1024 - 65535)
    1503 : TCP MSN NetMeeting Whitebord and Application Sharing
    1720 : TCP MSN NetMeeting
    1731 : TCP MSN NetMeeting
    1838 : TCP MSN Messenger (Gamevoice)
    1863 : TCP/UDP MSN Messenger primary (incoming)
    3389 : TCP MSN/Microsoft RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) for Remote assistance
    5004 : UDP MSN Messenger, ports 5004-65535. Used for AUDIO and VIDEO.
    5004 : UDP MSN messenger (dynamically uses a port in this range 5004 – 65535 - requires uPNP in your NAT router and/or firewall). Used for AUDIO and VIDEO.
    5190 : UDP MSN Messenger (incoming)
    6891 : TCP MSN Messenger Filetransfer (incoming) - ports 6891 - 6900, one port per file transfer
    6901 : TCP/UDP MSN Messenger Voice Telephony (incoming)

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Ok I have changed all the settings as good as i can get them, how do i check the firewall is working? Because I have blocked off these ports completely.

Ok I have changed all the settings as good as i can get them, how do i check the firewall is working? Because I have blocked off these ports completely.
    You need some of those ports to be OPEN to allow MSN to work, as per my earlier post.

You can try here to test which ports are open/closed/stealth.
    Other than that, you might get better help on the network issues in the Nets / Comms Forum

hth,
    Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement