Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from UTV to BT

• 28-07-2005 1:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

I'm seriously considering moving from UTV's 1Mbps Clicksilver (€30/month exclu. line rental) to BT's 1Mbp Broadband (€40 inclu. line rental) to save me €13 a month.

What I'd like to know from other boards posters is what kind of pitfalls, if any, I should be aware of or any other advice you might have based on completing such a transfer.

FYI my Clicksilver account was activated in March 2004 (so 12 month minimum contract has passed) and I didn't sign up for UTV Talk when it became available.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

OFDM wrote:
    I'm seriously considering moving from UTV's 1Mbps Clicksilver (€30/month exclu. line rental) to BT's 1Mbp Broadband (€40 inclu. line rental) to save me €13 a month.

What I'd like to know from other boards posters is what kind of pitfalls, if any, I should be aware of or any other advice you might have based on completing such a transfer.

FYI my Clicksilver account was activated in March 2004 (so 12 month minimum contract has passed) and I didn't sign up for UTV Talk when it became available.

There is a method available (port transfer I think its called) which should mean that you can move virtually seamlessly between isps. BT should be able to initiate this for you although I think I remember reading here that some of their csr's are not aware of it so you may have to push a bit for it. Under your T&C's with UTV you will have to give them a month's notice of your intention to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

I'm doing the same. I originally applied online and heard nothing back and when I rang them there was no record of my application so I did it there and then on the phone. I had to fill out a transfer form and fax it back to them. They told me there would be absolutely no downtime and when I told them I had to give a months notice so how does that work he went to his supervisor and asked and he was told its fine they'll take care of everything. Thing is I still haven't heard anything from them after a week, not even a confirmation email to say the wheels are in motion. I guess I'll just have to keep chasing them up on it.

I'm transfering my line rental and phone also by the way, both contracts are finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

Based on my current experience doing a "relocation" I'd say hassle BT as much as you can to get updates / push them along. Apart from one occasion (because I flipped with them) their CSRs NEVER get back to you. I'm wondering if the incompetence of their accounts dept is spreading... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Is there and ideal "time of the month" to transfer so that you don't get charged for 4 weeks by UTV that you won't be using?

• Advertisement

From the eircom to BT thread:
    kaizersoze wrote:
    I did indeed. I rang them and they told me that the monthly subscription wasn't cancelled even though I switched to BT so I still had to pay.
    I cancelled straight away by email after the phone call. Ahh well it's my own fault really I suppose. The price you pay for no downtime.
    Just in case anyone else is wondering, my "final" bill from UTV today included the advanced BB subscription for July even though I'm with BT since early June. Aparently,according to UTV, the DTAF cancels the BB service and allows the transfer to a new supplier but doesn't cancel the subscription :rolleyes:
    So, the moral of the story is...CANCEL the UTV subscription as soon as you go live with BT :D
    Did anyone else have this problem?

[edit]
    I read on the eircom to BT thread that you don't pay the €50 connection fee if you already have broadband from someone else and you get BT's line rental inclusive BB. But on BT's website it states there's a €50 connection anyway. Which is it?
    [/edit]

OFDM wrote:
    Is there and ideal "time of the month" to transfer so that you don't get charged for 4 weeks by UTV that you won't be using?
    It's very hard to avoid it if you don't want any downtime because the UTV BB subscription is paid a month in advance. I got caught for an extra month but that was probably my own fault by not contacting UTV as soon as I went live with BT.
    You can avoid paying for the month you won't use by cancelling UTV and waiting until it's switched off and then apply to BT. Then cantact UTV again and get a cancellation number and send that to BT. But this adds more complication to the process and your guaranteed about a month downtime, maybe more.
    My advice would be to contact BT sales (get the name of the rep your dealing with and put his/her name on the envelope) and get them to send out the transfer form. Fill it out and send it back and wait to go live with them. Then email UTV (admin@u.tv) and cancel your subscription.
    I'm not sure about the installation charge cause I signed up before the current packages were released.

Thanks kaizersoze (and everyone else), I'll give it a shot.

But about the €50 connection fee, will I have to pay that or not?

kaizersoze wrote:
    It's very hard to avoid it if you don't want any downtime because the UTV BB subscription is paid a month in advance. I got caught for an extra month but that was probably my own fault by not contacting UTV as soon as I went live with BT.
    You can avoid paying for the month you won't use by cancelling UTV and waiting until it's switched off and then apply to BT. Then cantact UTV again and get a cancellation number and send that to BT. But this adds more complication to the process and your guaranteed about a month downtime, maybe more.
    My advice would be to contact BT sales (get the name of the rep your dealing with and put his/her name on the envelope) and get them to send out the transfer form. Fill it out and send it back and wait to go live with them. Then email UTV (admin@u.tv) and cancel your subscription.
    I'm not sure about the installation charge cause I signed up before the current packages were released.

I thought the whole point of the transfer form is that it give BT permission to cancel UTV on your behalf? This sounds like more UTV carp to me, I think the best thing to do is wait till you go live with BT, pay your last month with UTV and then cancel your direct debit/credit card transaction. Fook them and their billshut cancellation policies. Anything that is designed to catch consumers out and swindle money cannot be upheld, I guarantee they can't do shoot.

Gegerty wrote:
    I thought the whole point of the transfer form is that it give BT permission to cancel UTV on your behalf? This sounds like more UTV carp to me, I think the best thing to do is wait till you go live with BT, pay your last month with UTV and then cancel your direct debit/credit card transaction. Fook them and their billshut cancellation policies. Anything that is designed to catch consumers out and swindle money cannot be upheld, I guarantee they can't do shoot.

UTV's Terms and Conditions clearly state that a month's notice of cancellation is requred so how is that designed to catch consumers out? And until recently anyways that was the polcy with virtually all isps.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    UTV's Terms and Conditions clearly state that a month's notice of cancellation is requred so how is that designed to catch consumers out? And until recently anyways that was the polcy with virtually all isps.
    So when should I contact UTV to tell them I intend moving? After I ring BT, after I send in the DTAF form, or after I go live?

OFDM wrote:
    So when should I contact UTV to tell them I intend moving? After I ring BT, after I send in the DTAF form, or after I go live?
    After you go live if you don't want any downtime.

OFDM wrote:

I would be inclined to contact UTV as soon as I completed the DTAF form. I could suggest ringing BT and asking how long the whole thing takes (and then base the timing of the UTV cancellation on that) but it is unlikely that you will get a definitive answer.

Timing of the switchover is unfortunately becoming almost an art form in itself!!!

dub45 wrote:

The DTAF is a transfer form, that means UTV stops and BT starts and it should be seamless. It was my understanding that once I filled out the DTAF form then that was that. Once BT take over I'm done with UTV. Now it turns out they just keep charging you until you ring up and cancel, and even then they charge you for 1 extra month, even though they know you've switched to BT. This is clearly designed to catch people out and swindle them out of their hard earned money.

I know about the 1 months notice, surely once BT contact them and request a transfer then thats notice? Isn't that why you sign the DTAF? It give BT the authorisation to cancel UTV? Isn't that why it takes a month for the switch to take place?

If its not UTV sly tactics then maybe the info given in this post is wrong.

Can you request UTV to cancel Clicksilver on a specific date?

OFDM wrote:
    I doubt it. And even if you could they would probably screw it up :rolleyes:

Gegerty wrote:
    The DTAF is a transfer form, that means UTV stops and BT starts and it should be seamless. ...................
    I know about the 1 months notice, surely once BT contact them and request a transfer then thats notice? Isn't that why you sign the DTAF? It give BT the authorisation to cancel UTV? Isn't that why it takes a month for the switch to take place?

If its not UTV sly tactics then maybe the info given in this post is wrong.

It is ironic I think that given that probably nobody has criticised UTV more than me over a long period over aspects of their Terms and Conditions that I should find myself defending them. The fact is that their Terms and conditions state that you have to give them a month's notice of your intention to terminate the contract - that is clearly stated when you sign up and you accept that when you accept the contract. Now if you notify UTV of your intention to leave and they charge you beyond the correct date i.e. a month from the date of notice then they are wrong it is as simple as that. The onus is on you to notify them not bt or anyone else that you may be signing up with. There is nothing sly about it it is clearly stated in the terms and conditions.

OFDM wrote:

In theory your Clicksilver should be cancelled a month after you notify them but bear in mind that Eircom have a role to play etc etc and it is probably difficult from an administrative point of view to tie it down to a specific date but it should fall in and around a month from notificiation.

Is an email enough notification for them or do I have to phone or write a snail mail?

OFDM wrote:
    Is an email enough notification for them or do I have to phone or write a snail mail?

I would suggest emailing them (but they can be slow in this dept!) and ask for an acknowledgement of your request by return. Also ask them when the bb is likely to be terminated. If you do not receive an acknowledgement within a couple of days then phone them. Belt and braces!

• Advertisement

OFDM wrote:
    I emailed admin@u.tv and got an auto response instantly. Next day I received a cancellation confirmation email from Louise Murray in UTV. They will not accept a cancellation over the phone. It has to be in writing (either email or snail mail).

I just thought of another few question. Approximately how long does it take from the time you send off the DTAF form to become active?

Also when does the BT billing period and download cap period start? From when they make your account active? From the first day you log on? Or from the start of each month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

OFDM wrote:
    Also when does the BT billing period and download cap period start? From when they make your account active? From the first day you log on? Or from the start of each month?

From the first day that your username/password is activated(when you set it up and get a DSL connection).

zuma wrote:
    From the first day that your username/password is activated(when you set it up and get a DSL connection).
    So not from the first day you log on?

Say you go active on the 15th of the month, would you (a) be charged for a full month for that month, (b) receive a reduced charge for that month or (c) be charged every month from the 15th of one month to the 15th of the next month?

OFDM wrote:
    I just thought of another few question. Approximately how long does it take from the time you send off the DTAF form to become active?
    9 working days in my case.
    OFDM wrote:
    So not from the first day you log on?

Say you go active on the 15th of the month, would you (a) be charged for a full month for that month, (b) receive a reduced charge for that month or (c) be charged every month from the 15th of one month to the 15th of the next month?
    Your billed from when your line is activated. If you have your own modem you can go online straight away without waiting for the BT modem to arrive. You will only be billed for the portion of the first month that the line is active. It depends on your billing cycle but it's unlikely to coincide bi-monthly.

kaizersoze wrote:
    If you have your own modem you can go online straight away without waiting for the BT modem to arrive.
    Do they email you the username and password to log in or is it the same as the one you choose on the DTAF form?

OFDM wrote:
    Do they email you the username and password to log in or is it the same as the one you choose on the DTAF form?
    It's the one you chose when you signed up. Just add "@iolbb" or "@BTBB" at the end of your username. :)

Why are BT looking for a €125 deposit off me? Did anyone else get asked for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dec4

It's the one you chose when you signed up. Just add "@iolbb" or "@BTBB" at the end of your username.
    Couldn't figure out why my username & p/w wouldn't allow connection to BT server. Rang Tech Support (1890923111 ) .. had forgotten to add username@btbb.ie. This is missing from the quickstart guide they provide and does make a difference.

• Advertisement

OFDM wrote:
    Why are BT looking for a €125 deposit off me? Did anyone else get asked for this?

I think it may have something to do with not being a householder?

Advertisement