Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from UTV to BT

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

dub45 wrote:
    I think it may have something to do with not being a householder?
    That's ridiculous. They have my credit card details, what do they need €125 for on top of that for? Do they think I going to steal the telephone line on them?

Additionally, there is no mention of a requirement for a €125 deposit in the terms and conditions and neither is there any legal documentation that guarantees I will ever get it back.

Forcing people who are living with parents or renting to pay what is essentially a non-refundable tax free gift to BT is simply extortion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You can delete your credit card details through their website.

I have no problem with the deposit, I think it's a reasonable measure to prevent fraud. What I do have a problem with is their lack of transparency on the factors that will cause it to be required, the lack of information on when it will be refunded and how, and the lack of a receipt for the amount taken.

I took this up with BT's Head of Consumer Sales & Service a few months ago and he told me that I should have received a letter regarding the deposit and that I may not have received it because of anomalies in my order, but I still haven't received it. Did you?

(I'll be talking to that chap again on Monday, so do let me know so I can mention it to him. Also the timescale involved, i.e. if it's only a couple days, it could be in the post.)

adam

dahamsta wrote:
    I took this up with BT's Head of Consumer Sales & Service a few months ago and he told me that I should have received a letter regarding the deposit and that I may not have received it because of anomalies in my order, but I still haven't received it. Did you?
    I received the letter in the post.

It says to return the cheque or postal order "in the Freepost envelope provided", yet no such envelope was provided. If they can't even include a freepost envelope that they're supposed to why should I give €125 that I will most likely never see again?

What did the letter say? Did it explain why the deposit was needed, and when it would be refunded?

dahamsta wrote:
    What did the letter say? Did it explain why the deposit was needed, and when it would be refunded?
    They made no explanation of why it was need. The 1800923923 people didn't know why it was there either, just that it had to be paid.

Here's a link to the letter:

deposit0ts.th.jpg

• Advertisement

OFDM wrote:
    They made no explanation of why it was need.
    ...or when it would be refunded. I have mixed information about this myself, I've been told both six months and a year on the phone, and the only factual information I could get out of their manager was that it would be refunded if service was cancelled.

As far as I'm concerned I'll be looking for my money back when the six months expires, because that's what I was told on the phone, but I left nailing it down go in the end the last time around because I was just sick of going around in circles with them on another issue.

I have to contact the guy again on Monday rearding a billing issue so I'll bring this up again. I'll let you know the official answer, and I'll try to convince him of the idiocy of the current setup. Again.

If you'd like to talk to him yourself, PM your name and contact details to me and I'll pass them along.

adam

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I find it incredible that a so called reputable company will out of the blue request a deposit of a significant amount of money without any explanation as to what it is required for or when it will be refunded. And it is even more incredible that the number they give you as the fount of all knowledge knows nothing about it either!!! How does this crowd manage to stay in business at all? :eek:

On further reflection I wonder about how easy it might be for them to 'claim' the deposit given their legenday inability to run their billing department particularly when it does not seem in any way unusual for them not issue bills to people for over a year. So after a year you might easiliy find yourself not alone fighting off their debt collectors but trying to get your deposit back :rolleyes:

It is pretty incredible, and it annoys me personally that this is still going on, after I spent a good deal of time on the phone and in emails explaining the issues in detail to the guy that's supposed to be in charge; who promised that silly things like this would be addressed. Some issues I can understand taking time, because they're complex; this isn't, at all. It's a web page and a letter. It's common courtesy.

adam

Advertisement