Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Smart

• 28-07-2005 8:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭

It seems as though I may be lucky in that the house I'm buying might be in an area that is Smart-enabled. So, assuming that to be the case and (possibly wrongly) also assuming that the landline of the house I'm buying is with Eircom then what will I have to do to get Smart activated?

I've read bits of people's stories saying that they needed to re-activate with Eircom and *then* move to Smart etc. Other people are saying that they just went straight to Smart and had no hassles.

So, if my prospective phoneline is with Eircom (if it is disconnected then the last provider would have been Eircom) and assuming I'll be on an active Smart exchange, what time-scale should I expect before having broadband installed?

I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself cause if Smart BB is an option where I'll be living, then it's my #1 choice by far.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Check first.

Enter house with phone in hand, plug it in.

Dial 199000

Write down number

Unplug phone

Proceed to check number on smart website .

Then you know if smart is available in principle !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

The only reason you would have to switch to Eircom and then onto Smart, was if the phone line already had the calls being carried by Smart. For whatever reason, Eircom need an eircom account number for that line in order to recognise and process it for LLU which is what you need to do in order to get smart broadband. All going well, the previous owner should hopefully give you an eircom account number, or you could maybe transfer your previous one onto that line (not too sure). Otherwise, you may have to get the line activated with eircom (to get an eircom account number) and then put in the process for LLU with smart broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭chabsey

The only reason you would have to switch to Eircom and then onto Smart, was if the phone line already had the calls being carried by Smart. For whatever reason, Eircom need an eircom account number for that line in order to recognise and process it for LLU which is what you need to do in order to get smart broadband. All going well, the previous owner should hopefully give you an eircom account number, or you could maybe transfer your previous one onto that line (not too sure). Otherwise, you may have to get the line activated with eircom (to get an eircom account number) and then put in the process for LLU with smart broadband.

Thanks for the replies. One problem, the previous owner is dead, so unless I ask via Ouija board I'll probably not know the account number. However, on a visit to the house I picked up the phone, just out of curiosity and it had a dialling tone. Does this mean it's still active? I didn't try to dial anywhere, just had a quick listen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

there will be a new account number but the old phone number is on the database , dial 199000 like you were told and use the IOL line checker which does not require an account number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brianw

seriously enquiring about Smart.
    just arrived in my area, sick of IBB and eircom are connecting up the apartment for free!
    few concerns though - 12 month contract. as a tenant this is a difficult one. they told me if i move i MUST pay the balance, and even if i move to an area with Smart i must start a new contract with new number and new payment!
    it seems illogical, and a bit harsh, maybe their hands are tied by eircom etc?

another thing - their tech support line is a 1550 number.
    i dont care how good any service is supposed to be, but over time i would expect to have to call them a few times. thats 1€ per minute!

finally, i've seen very little feedback as they are so new. is the service as reliable as they say, and is the 2 meg speed constant and uncontended, also as they say?
    ta

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

brianw wrote:
    seriously enquiring about Smart.
    just arrived in my area, sick of IBB and eircom are connecting up the apartment for free!
    few concerns though - 12 month contract. as a tenant this is a difficult one. they told me if i move i MUST pay the balance, and even if i move to an area with Smart i must start a new contract with new number and new payment!
    it seems illogical, and a bit harsh, maybe their hands are tied by eircom etc?

another thing - their tech support line is a 1550 number.
    i dont care how good any service is supposed to be, but over time i would expect to have to call them a few times. thats 1€ per minute!

finally, i've seen very little feedback as they are so new. is the service as reliable as they say, and is the 2 meg speed constant and uncontended, also as they say?
    ta

While I am not a fan of 12 month contracts given the value offered by Smart pricewise a 12 month contract is hardly onerous. If the 12 month contract is a problem for you go with BT.

Boards usually offers an excellent alternative to any support line as you are probably noticing.

Smart have not been around long enough for anyone to state that they are reliable but all the reports posted here so far have been positive.

Advertisement