Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless modem router for under €100

• 28-07-2005 9:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I've searched the boards for previous reccomendations but most of the threads are pretty old and there are probably newer models around.

So I'm thinking of getting the Netgear DG834G wireless modem router as the ZyXel is an absolute piece of crap (Prestige 623R-T1...keeps needing a reboot the whole time).

I figured before I go and buy the above router that perhaps there is an alternative wireless modem router (g) that you could reccomend :D ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Sorry for being a stickler here but the word modem is throwing me a bit. Do you want a router that will also dial up a PSTN connection on demand? Or do you mean just a router that will pass(route) your LAN to another device e.g dsl modem etc?
    If its the latter you can't go wrong with any Linksys device. I recommend the 54G model as it also comes with a WAP and 4 ethernet connections. This will not act as a dial-up or DSL modem (although there is a model that will do this), it will simply route your packets to the device connected to its WAN port.
    Hope this helps.

p.s I have had the same Zyxel box and never had any problems, you know there is a 2 year warranty on them, in case it's under 2 years old!

**Edit**
    I have just followed the link in your first post so you can ignore my bit about PSTN :D I still recommend looking at the Linksys.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

I bought the DG834G recently and have had no problems - set up was easy and it was easy to set up WPA security.
    Just followed your link and noticed that the pricing on the DSL warehouse site is before VAT . I bought from Amazon and they give you a wireless usb 2.0 adapter free when you buy the dg834g. Worth checking out.DG834G

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

BravoGolf wrote:
    Hi all,
    I've searched the boards for previous reccomendations but most of the threads are pretty old and there are probably newer models around.

So I'm thinking of getting the Netgear DG834G wireless modem router as the ZyXel is an absolute piece of crap (Prestige 623R-T1...keeps needing a reboot the whole time).

I figured before I go and buy the above router that perhaps there is an alternative wireless modem router (g) that you could reccomend :D ?

You cant go wrong with the Linksys wag54g and IT direct in Parliament St have them for just over 100 euros - the latest version is adsl2 ready which means it will suit Smart if that is an issue for you.

Advertisement