Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**ATTN : GAMERS** (was - Just Wondering)

Options
  • 28-07-2005 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

This thread got me thinking -
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=281591&page=1&pp=20

Has anyone ever set up a thread for people to post up their high scores etc. for a particular game and have the rest of the boards players challenge the score ? If so, did it work ?

Just a thought.

Would you be interested in a "High Score" gamer challenge ? 28 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    82%
    D-GenerateJimi-SpandexObeyGiantRetr0gamerDooomtuxysound_waveT-b0n3sprinklesRE*AC*TORmadrabevad_lhorgHeadshotdellyCiaran500BizzyCqzmurfiePanserborndanniemcq 23 votes
    Maybe (depends on game)
    17%
    OSiriSStephenspooky donkeyRabiesFobia 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

No
    I was thinking of something fairly similar recently. We propose a game every week and do a certain challenge on it and see who comes out the best at the end of the week. Pride/Something to put in their sig for the winner?

I say Torus Trooper should be our first game. It's a great abstract japanese shmup. And most importantly it's free.

Download it here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

No
    Only thing i was thinking afterwards is everyone has their specific console, boards is full PC, X-BOX and PS specific gamers.
    I like where this idea is going though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

No
    That would be pretty cool - a 'high scores' board off the main games board, with a separate thread for each game. People post pictures/screengrabs of their high scores.

No
    Should we take this to the forum requests ofr should i just edit this thread to include a poll to gauge level of interest first ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No
    I tried it here for Ikaruga but nobody would challenge me and R-type challenge on the emulator forum. Both didn't work at all. I'd love a high score challenge but maybe the the games were too old when I did the challenge.

I'd like a Gradius V challenge but I've become quite good at it which isn't good for newbies wanting to join in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,346 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No
    Tekken 5

No
    Tekken 5

:D:D:D

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone mentioned Tekken.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No
    [TROLL but TRUE]Tekken is slow and boring with skill equating to your button mashing ability[/TROLL]

Kind of hard and pointless for a beat'em up high score challenge unless you want to match KdjaC's perfect score in SF2.

No
    Ok i've edited the post to add a poll to try and gauge the level of interest. Pleade note this is a PUBLIC poll.

Also if people want to throw out suggestions for games please go right ahead

No
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    unless you want to match KdjaC's perfect score in SF2.

That sounds interesting - what is it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

No
    I think its a great idea. Only thing is getting a list of games that alot of us have.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think an easy solution is to use emulators..... Easy to download, easy to find games. All you have to do is pick a game!

Plus emus like MAME and zsnes allow you to record input (much harder to fake than a screenshot).

No
    TmB wrote:
    I think an easy solution is to use emulators..... Easy to download, easy to find games. All you have to do is pick a game!

Plus emus like MAME and zsnes allow you to record input (much harder to fake than a screenshot).

Very true, and we can link to the emulators that should be used to ensure everyone is working off the same thing.

Also there could be seperate competitions for X-BOX, PC, PS, CUBE & EMULATOR gamers

No
    c - 13 wrote:
    That sounds interesting - what is it ?

For every fight get a perfect the first round, second round beat them to the lowest point of their health and lose, third round get a perfect again.

Emulator games would be better than console specific games since most people who post here have a PC that can run mame. There are some excellent shmups that are easy to find that have score multipliers were ridiculous scores can be achieved but only if you have the skill. Layer Section, Donpachi and Dodonpachi spring to mind. If only Radiant Silvergun was emulated.

No
    So besides MAME what would be the other main emualtors people use ?

Personally I use GENS and ZNES

No
    I think pc games/emu's are probably the best idea. Makes most sense for getting screenies and we know everyone here pretty much has a pc. I'd be up for most any challenge. As long as it's a game I won't have to sink too many hours into, I'm up for it.

Suggestions:
    Torus Trooper (link in my last post)
    Mr Driller
    F-Zero
    Super Pang
    Gridrunner ++

I suppose we should have a vote of some sort to decide, or just come to a general agreement.

Edit to reply to c-13's post:
    Z-Snes
    Gens
    Nester

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

No
    retro i think your challenges didnt work cause no one really has ikaruga and like myself people dont really like playin the oul emulators.

time trial games on racing games ie mario kart, f zero gx , diddy kong racing(i will own you alll at this one),; or even with the likes of tekken or soul calibur 2 cause more people own them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

F-Zero GX sounds good... great game :)
    Or using stuff like the arcade challenges on TimeSplitters 2/Future Perfect... or minigames in different games, think the letters game in Zelda Wind Waker... or the 100-man melee in SSBM...

No
    Well personally i'll play either, im a fan of both emulators and newer consoles anyway.

Photographic evidence/camera/screen-grabs required as proof ! :D

Anyone have any specific games in mind that they want to throw forward ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

No
    pikmin 1 and 2
    f zero gx
    mario kart DD
    super smash bros melee
    teken 5
    soul calibur 2
    wind waker
    mario 64 DS

• Advertisement

No
    Is there really a point in photograhic evidence being required. Anybody who cheats is a twat. It's only fun and no prizes to be won.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

No
    Time Trial:
    Super Mario Kart
    Ghost Valley 1

Best racing track!

No
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    Is there really a point in photograhic evidence being required. Anybody who cheats is a twat. It's only fun and no prizes to be won.

Well i'm all for that if everyone's honest. :)

Who's up for starting this then ? What should the first game of choice be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

No
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    I don't think photographic evidence would be required, just more fun. And with added bragging rights.

No
    I think a mario kart time trial would be a good one to start with since it's very popular.

No
    Ok then - How does everyone feel about these two challenges then ?

EMULATOR CHALLENGE
    The Game : Super Mario Kart (as suggested by several posters)
    The Challenge: Fastest Time Trail on the "Ghost Valley 1" track (as suggested by D-Generate)
    Additional Requirements: 150 cc class, any carachter

PS2/X-BOX/CUBE CHALLENGE
    The Game : Soul Caliber 2 (as suggeested by evad_lhorg)
    The Challenge: Highest Survival Score
    Additional Requirements: Standard weapons, Any carachter EXCEPT exclusive console carachters i.e - Link (CUBE), Spawn (X-BOX) and Heihachi (PS2)

Anyone on for these or have any other suggestions ?

If interested reply to this thread and we will create a new thread for each challenge.

No
    Ramp the SMK challenge up to 150cc. 50cc is a joke. It's very easy to get the max lap time with 50cc. 150cc is better since there are a lot of great SMK players on boards.

No
    No problem. wait - is it not 50cc and 100 cc ? I havent played in a while.

No
    I'm up for both of them.

I assume cube scoring is same as ps2 & x-box in Soul Calibur 2?
    Shall we ban the exclusive characters?

• Advertisement

No
    I'm up for both of them.

I assume cube scoring is same as ps2 & x-box in Soul Calibur 2?
    Shall we ban the exclusive characters?

Spot on - I forgot to add the cube, apologies, and yes to banning the exclusive carachters - so thats heiatchi on PS2, link (I think) on CUBE and ... who was the x-box charachter again ?

Advertisement