Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting & Showers

Options
  • 28-07-2005 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Strange question I guess....... :D

But I was just wondering what are cyclists' upper limits when cycling to work when your office/place of work has no showers to avail of..?

At the moment I have an easy cycle to work, 12-15 mins (wind depending! :p ), which barely makes me break into a sweat. So I've no problem just locking the bike up & plonking myself down at my desk.

However I think my next job may be about a 45-55 min cycle away, and the building has no showers (and nothing nearby I can avail of) - so eh, what do most cyclists do in this situation..? Surely it's common enough.

Do you resort to the 'shower in a can' (e.g. can of lynx! *lol*) or what..? :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

I have a 30 minute cycle but I am lucky enough to be a gym member in town so I go for a swim and shower in the morning.

My mate in work cycles from Bray now and then and has to resort to the whores shower. Dunno if I could do that as I tend to feel dirty for the day. Although today was all right as I was wet through anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

I have a ~30 min cycle to work, we have showers but I rarely use them. I cycle in in my work clothes ('business casual'). Usually shower at home in the morning, if you are clean you can sweat a bit and it won't smell.

Another tip is to slow down towards the end of your commute, change down to a lower gear and spin without much effort for the last 10 mins - the breeze will dry you if you are a bit sweaty and your body will cool down as you are not pushing so hard, arrive into work cool and refreshed.

The only time I need to shower / change is when it is rally warm / humid and I am in a rush and need to boot it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Sneaky_Russian

I was cycling about 40mins to work (tidy pace), casual dresscode.

working in an office enviroment though.

made sure i was showered before i got on the bike. togged out in my cycling gear, change of clothes and had and can 'O' Shower when i got there. Towel is handy to dry yourself off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

I'm guessing you have a wash basin in work? This does the trick for me, wash my upper body. Not perfect I know but it stops the onset of BO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah - if you towel off very shortly after you stop sweating too you can take out most of the BO before it settles in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement