Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Essien one of France's best paid players

• 28-07-2005 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Jean-Michel Aulas is trying to hold on to this player the best they can by making him one of the best players in France maybe mourinho wont behappy but they cant get everyone..If they have money for gerrard aulas said they have money for essien..

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

As a matter of interest, where is essien expected to play if Chelsea sign him? Direct replacement for Makalele or are they going to change formation and play 6 in midfield and no strikers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

What Aulas said is a two edged sword though, as Essien will probably be asking for the same wage as Gerrard now if he stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

It dosent make sense at all does it because the already have a superb midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Makes perfect sense.
    Man Utd interested in a replacement for Keane.
    Buy him, thus United sstay weak in midfield.
    Doesn't matter if it doesn't help their team directly, it helps them indirectly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

As a matter of interest, where is essien expected to play if Chelsea sign him? Direct replacement for Makalele or are they going to change formation and play 6 in midfield and no strikers?

Ya thats what i was thinkin wher will they play him

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

PHB wrote:
    Makes perfect sense.
    Man Utd interested in a replacement for Keane.
    Buy him, thus United sstay weak in midfield.
    Doesn't matter if it doesn't help their team directly, it helps them indirectly

Ahh... it makes some (extremely cynical) sense in that light. They don't even need to buy him now though, as his value has been set at a fairly ridiculous 30 million and his wages boosted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

just thought i'd depress myself with looking at the chelsea squadlist..he really is taking this whole 2 top class players for each position thing very very seriously!

Petr Cech
    Carlo Cudicini

Asier Del Horno
    Glen Johnson
    Ricardo Carvalho
    William Gallas
    Wayne Bridge
    Paulo Ferreira
    John Terry
    Robert Huth

Lassana Diarra
    Claude Makelele
    Frank Lampard
    Joe Cole
    Damien Duff
    Geremi
    Arjen Robben
    Jiri Jarosik
    Tiago
    Shaun Wright-Phillips
    (Essien?)

Didier Drogba
    Eidur Gudjohnsen
    Hernan Crespo

Must be a bit shiit to play there at the moment given his lack of rotation..

I feel bad for those plaers who wont barely play this season its not fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Chubb76 wrote:

agreed. if some of the players that will go majoratively unused this season were spread around other clubs it would make for a much better premiership, theres going to be a lot of magic on their benches that we just wont get to see. Just really sucks that they're buying up all the talent when its completely unrequired.

In Essien they're trying to buy a player who has yet to develop fully. Now correct me if im wrong but isn't the point of buying players like this that they're cheaper and you can mould them into players worth the 25 or whatever million they're now offering. By just buying them at the price the player would be worth if he developes fully and fulfills his potential it just defeats the purpose. wouldn't it make more sense to wait till they actually need him and when he has actually matured and get him for the same price? Odds are that by not playing as much at chelsea he's not going to become what he could if he went to another club and played regularly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

Chubb76 wrote:

I'm sure they will manage to cope as they cry into a pillow stuffed with $100 bills, gorgeous blonde by their side...

• Advertisement

qwertyup wrote:
    I'm sure they will manage to cope as they cry into a pillow stuffed with $100 bills, gorgeous blonde by their side...

Ya but money isnt all that gr8 when you want to play week in week out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Chubb76 wrote:
    Ya thats what i was thinkin wher will they play him
    Well, if you look at last season with the 4-5-1, they always had 3 centre midfielders, usually Tiago and Lampard with Makalele behind. I would assume Essien would line up alongside Lampard instead of Tiago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Yeah straight swap with Tiago, seems straight forward enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

qwertyup wrote:

What...Like Mutu did ??

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

I'd hardly include Drogba and Huth as "top class players" mate. Drogba was a big let down, especially in the 2 games against Liverpool in the Champions League, and Huth is average at best.

BolBill wrote:
    I'd hardly include Drogba and Huth as "top class players" mate. Drogba was a big let down, especially in the 2 games against Liverpool in the Champions League, and Huth is average at best.

Couldnt have been said better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

BolBill wrote:

I think Drogba is a top class striker, but He said himself last month that He never really wanted to sign for Chelsea, but the money was too good to turn down.

I think He has been unsettled since the day he arrived. If you look at the way he played for Marsaille He was unbelievable.

Unless Morunhio can get Him to settle better this season we will not see his full potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Unbeliveable for one season. That does not make him a top class striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

drogba who had 2 injury spells in the season,who played a stunner against munich in germany?

against liverpool he had v.little support with the absence of duff and robben for the first time

also if you want to look at the statistics he compares quite well to rooney who most united supporters i know seem to adore

Drogba: Games played-41 (11 as sub)
    Goals - 16
    Minutes on Pitch: 2709

Rooney: Games played-43 (6)
    Goals- 17
    Minutes on Pitch: 3362

all things considered rooney and drogba are fairly well matched and i think drogba will come out cheaper in a goals/price ratio, but ill agree that drogba must do better to justify his price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

True, But i'm sure If he had stayed in France last season He would Have performed as well as He did the season before.

Despite not scoring 20+ goals last season He still showed touches of his brilliance.
    Morunhio's one up front with 2 wingers/attackers doesn't suit his style of play really.
    Drogba said himself that He ran his heart out for the club last season to "start defence from the front" and it affected his ability to get into attacking positions.

Only this season will tell If he can be the striker He showed promise to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,914 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Rooney and Drogba play different roles really though (although both are strikers), Rooney tends to play from deep, whereas Drogba is a definite target man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

hmmmm.... drogba... he really gets up my nose. did any of ye actually watch him play last season. He is a powerhouse... can score some goals... but please... his skill level is nowhere near rooney.

did anyone see those comments from him a few weeks ago... blaming his lack of goals on tactics, not getting the ball to feet... but my reply to that would be, you might get it to feet if you could control it!!!

I watched almost every chelsea game last year.. and every time the ball fell to drogbas feet, I was thinking he has about a 30/40% chance of keeping the ball here... and about a 5/10% of doing anything constructive with it.
    This is just not good enough for a striker in drogba's price range. I hope he can prove me wrong and come out and do the business this year. But my own feeling is that he is not good enough.

Essien will be a direct swap for Tiago... end of story. It would be an expensive swap and I doubt very much he is worth 20M never mind 31M, and I hope chelsea don't just fork it out to get what the want again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Tbh, i havent seen Essien play much, and i am not looking forward to seeing him in a Chelsea jersey(if he goes, of course). I get a feeling he has been far over-hyped by now, and that he wont be anywhere near as good as this price-range makes him out to be! Obviously, he is a good player but would he really be worth the risk of paying that much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

astrofool wrote:
    Rooney and Drogba play different roles really though (although both are strikers), Rooney tends to play from deep, whereas Drogba is a definite target man.

the only true way to register a strikers worth is with goals scored imo,thats their main role on the pitch and you can argue about whos more skillful but more skill wont turn into more points on the league table if the goal count is the same, anyway you dont really need somebody too skillful when you look at the wingers and lampard

you cant say that drogba had a bad season without also saying it about rooney when you look at the goals and that cant be argued

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Drogba was a bad player in a good team.
    Rooney was a good player in an average team.

The alone striker in a team that chelsea had this year would have to be retarded not to score 16 goals with the service he got, but he missed countless countless chances.

That said, I saw him playu in France, he was outstanding, hope he doesn't regain his form here.

Advertisement