Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So anyone do science?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Well when we say 9-6, usually that means that you have a lecture that starts at 9am (either chemistry or maths), and your last tutorial/lab finished at 6pm. You would normally have a few hours off inbetween all that, so you would not be actually in for 9 hours straight. And in 1st year it's only labs which go on in the afternoon/evenings. Most lectures are over by about 1 or 2. And you will only have at most 3 labs in 1st year (you have to do maths).

As for homework, in chemistry you have 1 homework per week and you have a week to do it. From what I can remember it's not very difficult. It can be very tempting to just skip it and not do it, but I strongly recommend doing them regularly. It will contribute towards you final grade and it does help you learn as the end of year exam is usually not that far from the problem sheets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭sephirosis

heh yeah i figured tbh that it wouldnt be 9-6 straight, i cant see anyone trying to put students through that. chem homework doesnt sound that bad alright, but i still think im going to go CS ;)
    for anyone who is hoping to start science this september, what are ye going to choose as part of horizons? id like to do something on maybe psych or philosophy and maybe history/art history, though im not too sure what requirements for each module will be like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

pFd wrote:
    does any1 else do chemistry who dont like it. i just find it boring. i wouldnt mind a bit of chemistry but i think i would find a pure chemistry cousre hard to deal with especially along with 3 others courses.
    1 other question....... do you get a lot of homework/assignments with this course??

everyone has a bad chemistry teacher - it's not easy to teach unless you're quite interested in it (like me :o )1st year chem is like this (roughly):

8 lectures on introductory chemistry - very simple 5th year chem stuff, what are atoms, sub atomic particles, the hardest thing you'll do is the s, p, d configuration :eek:

10-12 lectures on inorganic chem - you go through the periodic table, atomic radii, electronegativity values etc. again all lc stuff. redox reactions, half reactions easy aswell.

10-12 lecs on physical chem - harder than the other two but still not that bad, enthalpy, entropy, what cause molecules to change state etc.

then you're at xmas already, after xmas it's organic chem - it mainly just builds rom the basic lc stuff like knowing the functional groups, types of reactions etc.

seriously it's not that bad, plenty of people i know who didn't do chem for the lc picked it for second year and if you're thinking of doing geology then it would be quite relevant and could give you an advantage come 2nd/3rd year etc over those who didn't choose it.

and remember you get 40% of your overall mark from labs/tutorials so you don't even have to be good at it to easily pass!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

larryone wrote:
    the geology department in UCD is the best geology department in western europe, and up there with the best in the world. I know a good few people who have done geology in UCD, and from what i've heard it's absolutely brilliant - but alot of hard work =0)

never lived on campus, they always turned down my application.

UCD is a good college for first years, but you have to be careful about the bullsh1t that goes around the place.

really i didn't know anything in ucd was best in europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

larryone wrote:
    the geology department in UCD is the best geology department in western europe, and up there with the best in the world. I know a good few people who have done geology in UCD, and from what i've heard it's absolutely brilliant - but alot of hard work =0)

Yeah I've heard it rocks.

(sorry)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Yeah I've heard it rocks.

(sorry)

Cringe....

It had to be said though, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

that joke keeps geting funnier everytime i hear it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

You've gotta love MNG's originality :rolleyes:

You've gotta love MNG's originality :rolleyes:

I don't know why Zane's so grumpy. He's probably stoned or something.

(sorry again)

I don't know why Zane's so grumpy. He's probably stoned or something.

(sorry again)

*cough*............................... *cough*

That poor follow up deserves a 2 week ban alone.

Leave the cheesy gags to the experts like Lovejoy, Bowen, Forsythe etc. in future will ya

• Advertisement

*cough*............................... *cough*

That poor follow up deserves a 2 week ban alone.

Leave the cheesy gags to the experts like Lovejoy, Bowen, Forsythe etc. in future will ya

Sticks and stones, Zane. :D

Sticks and stones, Zane. :D

Ok I have to give you kudos for that one.

Good comeback. :)

Advertisement