Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European Coefficiants & Irish Teams

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I think someone said we have to maintain an average of just over 2 points for five years to go straight into the second round. Looking good to do that for this year anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Yep, What I heard a pr guy for the fai say that if we continue to get 1.5 to 2 points for the next couple of years by season 2009/2010 we'll get directly into the second round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

i think its 2.7 or higher for 5 years, still along way to go this year cos if Cork and Longford win tonight it will give us an average of 2.25 but with at least 5 games left to play(that is supposing Cork and Longford progress tonight) but we will have to repeat this feat for the next four years as well, will be tough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

if both cork and longford win we will be on an average of 2.16 isnt that right ? The second round for both clubs might be very hard though.

Longford will go out in the second round but Cork should fear nobody in that draw, espically if they draw Dundee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

if both cork and longford win we will be on an average of 2.16 isnt that right ?

yeah thats right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Playing beatable teams in the first round in recent years has been enjoyable though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

VinnyL wrote:
    its confusing stuff, i know its early, but how many points do we need to go straight in to the second qualifying round of the champions league??
    Well you have to get up to 26th in the rankings to get into QR2. You'd need a coefficient of around 15.000 to get to 26th. Thats an average of 3 points a year for 5 years. If you get into the UEFA cup or CL proper its double points for a draw or win.

I think its more important for teams to build up club coefficients by winning actual UEFA cup matches (can't see anyone getting into the CL for a while). That means they have a better chance of being seeded in the later qualifying rounds which is better than getting a bye past round 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Would there be something said for asking Uefa to REDUCE the number of teams we enter into europe to 2 as it would almost definetly boost our coefficent? To see what I mean - if Norway only entered 1 team instead of 5-6 then Rosenberg would probably qualify automatically for the group stage every year instead of having to start in Qround2.

^^ BTW I'm just playing devils avocado there but I'd be interested in hearing views irregardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

No I don't think so. I know they only bring us down, but whoever wins the cup / finishes second in the league does genuinely deserve their chance.

• Advertisement

The clubs here would never agree to it though. What I would suggest though is FAI cup winners in the inter toto and 3rd in the league into the UEFA. There are no co-efficent points for the inter toto and the cup winners are generally the worst side out of the four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

i think co-efficents are important for the development of the league in the long term but i dont think getting straight into the second would really benefit EL clubs in europe. If we got a by into the second round we would just lose out on a chance to increase the co-efficent.

Improving the strength of the team with players training etc is what is going to get EL clubs into UEFA Cup and the CL group stages.

Maybe if we had one all ireland league, and lost a european place it might do the league the world of good in the long term. (I think we would get the place back in the future if the league was in europe reguarly)

If we had an AIL but still only had four European places between us and the NI teams I'd be happy. It means every team in Europe would be a very good team with a chance of really doing something.

Advertisement