Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaky Roof

Options
  • 28-07-2005 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi,

With all the rain today, our bay 'window' roof has leaked. There is basically a flat roof running all the way across the front of our house which has the bay window and patio doors underneath. We have only moved in and were planning on replacing the flat roof with a sloped roof next year, but looks like we'll have to do it now.

Would anyone have a ballpark figure on roofing this. We have no idea. Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a roofer on Northside Dublin?

Thanks

Dools

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

dools wrote:
    Hi,

With all the rain today, our bay 'window' roof has leaked. There is basically a flat roof running all the way across the front of our house which has the bay window and patio doors underneath. We have only moved in and were planning on replacing the flat roof with a sloped roof next year, but looks like we'll have to do it now.

Would anyone have a ballpark figure on roofing this. We have no idea. Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a roofer on Northside Dublin?

Thanks

Dools

Hi Dools

"number of posts = 2"...You probably haven't heard of the infamous ficticious company called "RooKad"....lol you will ..hehe
    Seriously "RooferPete" will answer your query, if he's around. If you don't hear from him, do a search and send him a pm. There ain't much that guy dosen't know on this subject. He'll tell you what to watch out for.
    A word of caution though, don't get within 15 feet of his sense of humour...It's sharper than his felt knife.
    t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I have a leak too. THe flat concrete roof on my garage. It looks like I at least need to put flashing where the roof meets the house but I am not sure about the rest. I was going to put tourch on felt but I wasn't sure if I could put that directly onto concrete?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Thanks Tapest,

I got in touch with Peter and he kindly called out to me yesterday evening and went through our options and is coming back to me with quotes.

Cheers and Tks Pete if you're looking

Dools

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

tapest :D ROFL

Seriously thank you for the kind recommendation.

Morning Star,

Torch on felt is probably one of the most abused products on flat / low slope roofs so please take care regarding the quality of the material used and more important how it is used.

Concrete roofs do not respond well to patching because the untreated area can still absorb some moisture which will travel under the joint of the waterproofing and lift it clean off the concrete leaving you back where you started.

Dools,

Thank you for the enquiry, perhaps one day you can reinstate my reputation regarding sharp felt knifes ;)

The basic details will be sent to you tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

As a temporary fix you can get self adhesive bitumen tape called Flashband in most builders merchants, this will allow you to seal the leaking area for a while until you are ready to get the pro's in.

• Advertisement

Hi JohnDigital,

Sorry to disagree Flashband is a waste of money at the best of times but even moreso on a concrete roof because it has very limited adhesion even when heated and fixed to a perfectly dry area cleaned and primed it will lift off within a very short time because the moisture will get under it.

I can assure you if FlashBand did even one of the jobs claimed by the manufacturers I would have some in the van for emergency repairs.

The same product under many different names performs in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi,

tapest :D ROFL

Seriously thank you for the kind recommendation.

Dools,

Thank you for the enquiry, perhaps one day you can reinstate my reputation regarding sharp felt knifes ;)

It wasn't Dools...It was me..I said it...yeah I admit it...SO.......So what are you getting so "upidy" about ?. I could have said BLUNT knife..and I could have said 'sarkin?' felt, just to make you look old :)
    AND I'm still not afraid of you and your big uncle T. lol
    Then again I could have said nowt and kept my brownie points intact. :D

Kind regards, as aleays
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

No problem rooferpete, I did say temporary, I know the stuff wont last forever but it should do for a couple of weeks to keep most of the water out but it is no way a final fix, certainly not on concrete.

Hi tapest,

Please I beg of thee (and it's not easy touch typing when on ones knees) do not tell uncle "T" remember there is a downside to any contact you have with him ;)

Yep he will call around to your place and will only finish gathering the info he needs when all the tea, biscuits, cheese sandwhiches and maybe even your own dinner has been consumed by him :D:D:D

This is not a threat just a friendly reminder of times past ROFL

Regards,

Peter.

rooferPete wrote:

Morning Star,

Torch on felt is probably one of the most abused products on flat / low slope roofs so please take care regarding the quality of the material used and more important how it is used.

Concrete roofs do not respond well to patching because the untreated area can still absorb some moisture which will travel under the joint of the waterproofing and lift it clean off the concrete leaving you back where you started.

I was planning on felting the entire roof for that very reason. I went with the paint on stuff first. It seems like a small problem but what ever happened with the rain recently it seemed to drive through. Is there any special treatment I need on the concrete?

• Advertisement

Hi Morning Star,

Without a proper survey I am not sure if you have to remove the coating from the roof surface, was it emulsion or oil based ?

The problem with a lot of coatings is they just sit on the surface and they have no or very limited flexibility built in, the professional coating I use can bridge 10mm cracks and gets a firm bond, the name doesn't matter because you must be pre-approved before you will be supplied.

On a clean surface the deck (concrete) should be cleaned and primed, then a vent later installed after which you bond an underlay and a capsheet.

If the building is going to be used as living space I recommend an insulation board whether incorporated into the build up with a vapour check or an "upside down" insulation sysem is used.

Hi Pete,

It was just a concrete roof without any finish (untill I put a oil based sealant on the crack). It looks like all the neighbours have had similar problems at some point. It seems to be where the roof meets the house is the problem but it looks like our roof has a further crack as a result also.

Hi MorningStar,

Contrary to popular belief concrete is not waterproof, that is why all the new bridges are being waterproofed prior to the road surface being installed.

Any slight deflection in the building will or can cause a crack in the concrete, from your description the garage may have settled a little over time causing the roof to pull from the main building.

The movement I am referring to is very slight, it is possible that similar garages with different types of roof covering are moving even more than yours, the difference is the roofs are designed to allow for such settlement.

The major side effect of a leaking concrete roof besides water ingress can be the reinforcing bars rusting, when steel rusts it expands and can cause the concrete to spall / break away as well as the obvious loss of strength.

As the repairs you have made are localised they should not be a problem to clean and get back to a clean surface.

You can spend a lot of money on the "cure all" materials, I can guarantee you continued problems unless you decide to use either the system above or a short life proprietry system.

The above is my opinion based on my experience that is not to say that someone else may have an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 czech

dools wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks
    got similar done on our roof guys name is john on 0851396493 well recommended

Advertisement