Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City and Longford Town UEFA CUP Games Tonight

• 28-07-2005 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Well, both teams have an excellent chance of progression to the next stage of the UEFA Cup, both having 2-0 leads from the First Legs of their ties against Carmarthen Town of Wales and Ekranes of Lithuania respectively.

CCFC's result in particular is brilliant, given that Ekranes are 12 points clear in the Lithuanian League, 12 points clear of Liverpool's CL opponents Kaunus. The two away goals should see CCFC through, but I'd expect them to probably win again. Tey don't have to go for it though, and we might see some caution from Richardson's team.

Longford Town travel to the Mid-Wales team Carmarthen Town, looking good for another great result. I'd be very surprised if by ten o'clock tonight we didn't have three Irish teams in the second round of UEFA Competitions. If Town score one goal it should be enough, but a draw or even a one goal reversal will see them through.

Come on CCFC and LTFC, do us proud.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I'd expect both teams to progress at the very least, but if they could both win that could be absolutley ideal for the co-efficent. I hope they don't sit back as two wins would go a long way for us in future euroepan campaigns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

from listening to Damien Richardson throughout the week i t sounds like he wont sit back, City will just play their normal game. Neal Fenn has to start IMO, he's perfectly suited to the european game and will hold the ball up and lay a lot of ball off for John O'flynn, which will cause the lithuanians problems. The most important thing is we get the job done, and i'd take a nil all draw to be completely honest. City though are only 4/5 to win the match tonight.

As for Longford, they surely couldnt throw this one away, could they? I'd imagine they'd defend in numbers for the game, before counter attacking a couple of times. Still fancy them to qualify though.

best of luck for both sides, here's hoping they'll be in the hat tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Come on CCFC and Longford !! I hope two wins are on the cards. It would be great for the co-efficient

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I think Cork will sit back, but still have the class to pick them off on the break, as it's the Lithuanians that will have to be constantly trying to break, and gaps will be inevitable.

Longford worry me, you get the feeling that thay should brush aside this team, but they never really look convincing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Two wins tonight and we're laughing!

Good luck to everyone involved, do us proud! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

longford 1-0 down already.

/edit 1-1 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

One all now.

Longford penalty.

Nice one, away goal, Carmarthen need three two more, providing Longford don't concede any more.

Portadown lost one nil on the night, three one on aggregate to Viking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Longford 2-1 down :mad:

Longford really are awful in Europe. That should have been two easy wins against mid table part time out of season Welsh opposition ffs. They'll surely progress bar a miracle, but that was a gift for the co-efficent.

• Advertisement

Cork 1-0 down. things going tits up for the ranking

Longford 3-1 down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

4-1.

:rolleyes:

seansouth wrote:
    4-1.

:rolleyes:

Cant believe what I'm reading on Livescore. Longford should never be allowed represent the EL in Europe again.

Five one

Jesus fcukin christ.

what a disgrace

KevIRL wrote:
    Cant believe what I'm reading on Livescore. Longford should never be allowed represent the EL in Europe again.

Agree 100%

This is the most embarassing result in the history of the league by far.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Agree 100%

This is the most embarassing result in the history of the league by far.

Agreed, even Celtic would beat Longford!

i really cant belive it. 5-1. longford are pathetic ...f'ing idiots

Cork should at least manage a draw FFS. another crap result

Cork lose 1-0 but progress to the next round.

Feck all co-effiecent points for the league tonight :mad:

• Advertisement

Well, Cork City lost.

But they are in the hat for tomorrow.

Well done CCFC on getting to the next round of the UEFA.

I have no words for Longford. No words on this earth could show my complete contempt for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

And no words could complete the rest of our contempt for shels :)

They've let us down, yet again

The side they were facing were a complete joke team.

Longford town, your a fúcking disgrace. Absolutely PATHETIC :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

KevIRL wrote:
    Just imagine what might have happened tonight if a blind ref had spotted 2 balls on the pitch last October in Lansdowne, who could have been playing in Longfords place?? And by how much more would they have lost??

dcarroll wrote:
    Just imagine what might have happened tonight if a blind ref had spotted 2 balls on the pitch last October in Lansdowne, who could have been playing in Longfords place?? And by how much more would they have lost??

The blues wouldnt be in the mess we are in now had we not lost that match. And would defintely have gotten through that tie.

Ah, but their fans maintain winning that game would have saved them, brought hundreds of thousands in sponsorship, and attracted more fans...

Anyways, at least Cork got through, prior to this I was thinking they could be the first irish team to make the group stages of either competition, now I'm not so sure.

As for Longford, now its personal! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Just home from the City game, and Im still feeling sick to the pits of my stomach. We were absolutely disgustingly shíte tonight and was embarrassed the way the team played. We were damn lucky to have got away with 0-1 scoreline.

In the Horseshoe after the game it was funny hearing differing opinions. Some said that we were always comfortable, which is almost true, but had it not been for a top class save in an 1-1, it was extra time.

All that said, City are through to the next round. City just didnt play tonight. We were rubbish for 90 minutes, the worst Ive seen at the Cross in many a long year.

As for Longford. You are a disgrace. The chant for the season and forever is "You disgraced the eircom League". 5-1 against a team who would struggle to win the FAI intermediate cup. Shower of wánkers.

All in all a terrible night for the eL :mad:

For all the stick Shels have been getting this year, they're the only ones who've done us proud in Europe this season. Cork's away win was great, but losing it like that takes the gloss off. Hopefully they can put things back into order in the next round!

Pity about Georgie though, cheating again, and ruled himself out of the first leg of the second round.

As for Longford...

• Advertisement

^ George wants out. His performances in recent weeks reflect that.
    For all the stick Shels have been getting this year, they're the only ones who've done us proud in Europe

But will they be there next year?

Its a pity, not that he's leaving Cork, but that he'll leave the league. He's great to watch when he uses his skill, but I won't miss his antics one bit. :)

Oh yes, I think I actually forgot to congratulate Cork, well done on getting through at least! :D Hopefully a good draw awaits tomorrow, I'd be hoping for Dundee myself...

gimmick wrote:
    Just home from the City game, and Im still feeling sick to the pits of my stomach. We were absolutely disgustingly shíte tonight and was embarrassed the way the team played. We were damn lucky to have got away with 0-1 scoreline.

In the Horseshoe after the game it was funny hearing differing opinions. Some said that we were always comfortable, which is almost true, but had it not been for a top class save in an 1-1, it was extra time.

All that said, City are through to the next round. City just didnt play tonight. We were rubbish for 90 minutes, the worst Ive seen at the Cross in many a long year.

As for Longford. You are a disgrace. The chant for the season and forever is "You disgraced the eircom League". 5-1 against a team who would struggle to win the FAI intermediate cup. Shower of wánkers.

All in all a terrible night for the eL :mad:

While I didn't see the City game, I saw the line up and so can imagine how it went.

It is typical of brainless spineless LOI managamenet. We're scared of our own f*cking shadows in Europe. He left out Fenn and seemed to go 4-5-1 in a what we have we hold type arragement. Why!? How many times must this backfire on us before we realise we are not a Serie A league, we do not have the defence, tactical awareness and ability to completley shut out other teams for 90 minutes by sitting back and it is not a good idea to invite others onto you in any game at any time. Why not play like we played to get the leads in the first place? We're better then the teams were facing in the first rounds and yet we always seem to conspire to blow it because we're scared to complete ineptness by managers with no guts.

I believe Matthes sent his Longford team to part time, out of season, jailbird playing, 6th place and cup runners up finishing Welsh outfit to sit back and defend. What a joke. A league where Jimmy Aggrey was a star defender and Tony Bird is their star striker and they didn't even get a chance to play at home!

It's down to management, it is pathetic. Until we show ambition we will have nights like tonight with Longford, as for Cork, their main aim tonight was progression and they're in the next round so they can't be too disappointed.

gimmick wrote:
    But will they be there next year?

If Cork play like you say they did tonight, then maybe! :D Derry won't hold out I think, I'm hopeful we can get into the UEFA Cup next year. If not its time to sort out the players and give them kicks in the a-holes!

^ If City win the next 2 league matches, its 17 points ahead of Shels. Even with 2 games in hand, thats too big a margin to close.

That said, I wouldnt be too surprised if Im eating my words in a few months time.

Slash/ED wrote:
    we do not have the defence, tactical awareness and ability to completley shut out other teams for 90 minutes

Weren't you in Tolka last night?

We have kept clean sheets in CL games in the past two seasons doing exactly this.

• Advertisement

Shels will qualify for the UEFA, I'd be fairly confident of that, mainly as one of the Citys will win the FAI cup imo.

As for George, the writings on the wall. 5 months left, Celtic interested, agreed to sign the contract and is now stalling, has admitted he has been talking to everyones friend Pat Dolan. Looks like he's leaving and I agree, it's not good, it's bad for the league to lose someone like him, a character and fine player, and get squat in return.

seansouth wrote:
    Weren't you in Tolka last night?

We have kept clean sheets in CL games in the past two seasons doing exactly this.

I was in Tolka, Steaua were content to get 0-0. If we do the same in Romania I will change my mind.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Shels will qualify for the UEFA, I'd be fairly confident of that, mainly as one of the Citys will win the FAI cup imo.

Unless they both make it to the final, surely it goes to the runner up?

Einst&#252 wrote: »

I'm fairly sure it doesn't, hopefully anyway.

Hope not!

• Advertisement

Einst&#252 wrote: »

Huh? That means one will definitely win it :confused:

Edit: Maybe not actually. But it Cork City win the league, and it was Cork City Vs Derry in the cup final, and Cork City won..4th place would get inter toto, Derry would get the UEFA spot as runners up (for argument sake), and whoever finished 3rd would get the 2nd placed teams UEFA spot?

gimmick wrote:

Say Derry and Cork are the top 2, and they both make it to the FAI cup final:

Then the second UEFA spot goes to 3rd in the league.

Say Derry and Cork are the top 2, and one of them makes it to the final and wins:

Where does the second UEFA spot go? 3rd in league? Or runner up in final?

^ See my above edit. I think that makes sense anyway. 3rd placed team gets UEFA. 4 th get inter toto.
    Slash/ED wrote:

It is typical of brainless spineless LOI managamenet. We're scared of our own f*cking shadows in Europe. He left out Fenn and seemed to go 4-5-1 in a what we have we hold type arragement. Why!? How many times must this backfire on us before we realise we are not a Serie A league, we do not have the defence, tactical awareness and ability to completley shut out other teams for 90 minutes by sitting back and it is not a good idea to invite others onto you in any game at any time. Why not play like we played to get the leads in the first place? We're better then the teams were facing in the first rounds and yet we always seem to conspire to blow it because we're scared to complete ineptness by managers with no guts.

Great post btw.

gimmick wrote:

Edit: Maybe not actually. But it Cork City win the league, and it was Cork City Vs Derry in the cup final, and Cork City won..4th place would get inter toto, Derry would get the UEFA spot as runners up (for argument sake), and whoever finished 3rd would get the 2nd placed teams UEFA spot?

Do runners up get a spot if the winning team is already in Europe? Say it's Cork v Dundalk or something in the final, Cork win 3-0, do Dundalk get into Europe or does the 3rd place get a UEFA spot and 4th an inter toto? I thought it would goto the league.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Do runners up get a spot if the winning team is already in Europe? Say it's Cork v Dundalk or something in the final, Cork win 3-0, do Dundalk get into Europe or does the 3rd place get a UEFA spot and 4th an inter toto? I thought it would goto the league.
    Thats what I was trying to ask in an ass about face way! :D Suppose if Longford lose in the final it'd go to 3rd in the league?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

gimmick wrote:
    It is typical of brainless spineless LOI managamenet.

Great post btw.

huh? top of the league and a small squad only needing not to lose by 2 to go through. Plyd Rico tbh who gives a fcuk about the intertoto when you top of the league.

I wanted Cork out tonight to give them less to worry about and games to play as for some reason they wont sign any players when they have cash :confused:

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    huh? top of the league and a small squad only needing not to lose by 2 to go through

Yeah but it made what should have been an easy game very difficult. It only needed one lucky deflection or one moment of madness and it was extra time and from there Cork need to score 2 for every 1 the others got.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Yeah but it made what should have been an easy game very difficult. It only needed one lucky deflection or one moment of madness and it was extra time and from there Cork need to score 2 for every 1 the others got.

And?

Intertoto more bloody hassle than its worths cost teams to progress in it rather then reward them.

Should be sticking out the youths and reserves.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    And?

Intertoto more bloody hassle than its worths cost teams to progress in it rather then reward them.

Should be sticking out the youths and reserves.

kdjac

This is the UEFA cup not the inter toto :confused:

Slash/ED wrote:
    This is the UEFA cup not the inter toto :confused:

Good point bedtime methinks :D

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement