Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modify Nokia 3410 For Use In A Bike Alarm?

• 28-07-2005 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, I am trying to make a cheep but effective motorbike / scooter alarm, I am aware that such alarms exist on the market today but seem to be a bit pricy. I want to use a cheep nokia 3410 mobile concealed in a waterproof plastic box under the fairing which would make it inaccessible.
    The phone can remain switched on but constantly connected to a 12v standard car battery charger which would be connected to the scooter battery.
    To trigger the phone to send a pre-programmed text to a pre-programmed number i was wondering if i could use (modify) the phones data cable connected to a motion detector via a key switch (to enable / disable the device)? So if the bike is moved I would receive a text. The phone would also have to reset itself ready to send another text, if possible with a timer of about 1 minute.
    Can someone help me with a solution please. :confused:
    My apologies for posting in the wrong forum last time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I'm sure it can be done, but it seems a bit over ambitious unless you are an absolute genius in the field of electronic engineering, The nokia BIOS would probably need to be flashed, (probably illegal, i dont know for sure tho) and you'd encounter all kinds of hardware incompatibilities and problems, is it really worth it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

It's a bloody brilliant idea and sounds like a great project to get working on but from what you've mentioned a firm grounding in the fields of EE and Nokia firmware would be needed. Perhaps a group project?

Advertisement