Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed or Unfixed IP Addresses ?? Important?

• 28-07-2005 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

I am about to get smart in to take over from my IBB experience.
    A few catches like 12 month contract and 1550 helpline number.
    But they dont offer fixed IP. Is this a drawback?
    Its home use only, some torrents, no gaming.
    Can anyone tell me the lowdown about this please??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

its only reallly a problem if your hosting, the ip address will chang from time to time so the DNS will have to update to continue redirecting to your pc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Well if it's just for homeuse then a dynamic IP should do you ok. Reasons for a Static IP might be:

You want to Host website/email server.
    You want to log into your computer.
    Host a game server.

Basically anything that involves serving - it would be good to have a static IP as you have a permenant address to your pc. I'm so bad explaining stuff :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

To put it bluntly unless you have a specific reason for a static ip, YOU DON'T NEED IT.

If you want a static ip look at their business products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Also if you are a big downloader, and your connection isn't anything special enough to share properly (poor u/l say), dynamic IPs reset your sharing history, particularly from BT trackers that block poor sharers. Dynamic IPs also provide additional levels of anonymity if you are DLing sensitive stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

dynamic ips add nothing to your privacy... all isps monitor the history of ips allocated to you. A simple query by them based on an ip and a time would reveal the person who was using the ip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

It also means that you have no chance of geting reverse dns done on an ip ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I suppose there is a slighty great chance of someone being able to target your machine specifically for a hack cos its address doesnt change - however a firewall fixes that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Another thing as well if you get banned from a site by some strange reason, they might ban your IP, with dynamic you will have a different one so you can gain access again. Ok i know stupid reason but its true

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

double post :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

[URL=htp://www.dyndns.org]www.dyndns.org[/URL] is a handy free way around the problem of a dynamic ip address if you need a fixed ip address. ave used it in the past and never had any problems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement