Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Prediction 05-06

• 28-07-2005 6:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

OK who is going to win the league next season. Reasons must be given too
    My top four are

1: Arsenal(its going to be very close though)
    2: Chelsea
    3: Liverpool
    4: Man Utd

Reasons:
    Arsenal have some great new coming through and although they havent replaced vieria yet im sure wenger has a plan. Last ever year at Highbury, Henry given the captains arm band, Bergkamps last year. They will be up for it big time

Chelsea. Well its going to be Chelsea or Arsenal big 2 in London who are going to win it. The question is will they be as hungry as last year, will they get the luck, will the big squad be happy, will teams figure them out? All important questions.

Liverpool have come on great IMO. If they get off to a good start they could challenge and they have brought in some good players and should be on a high after last years CL succes. 3rd should be well achieveable.

Man Utd. Well nothing so far has indicated that Utd are better of then they were at the end of the season. No real sign of big transfers, Keane a year older, tensions in the squad, glazier are all areas of concern for Utd. They have signed a new solid keeper but it wont be enough to break into the top three. 4th by default.

Other teams to do well are Villa and Spurs. Id expect them to be very competitive over the season.

Premiership Champion is? 88 votes

Arsenal
    0% 0 votes
    Chelsea
    12% 11 votes
    Liverpool
    52% 46 votes
    Manchester United
    12% 11 votes
    Other ( Please state who )
    22% 20 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

No point in predicting until the 3rd of August when the CL deadline registeration is finished.
    Both Arsenal and Man Utd are still likely to sign players, and Liverpool will probably sign two more players, until then we don't know

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Just thought id get the topic going and that deadline is 6 days away.
    Id expect some signings but not loads. Im not even sure about that deadline actually its only for the qualifiers I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

1 Chelsea
    2 Man Utd
    3 Arsenal
    4 Newcastle

Chelsea because they've just improved a incredible squad and both Robben and Duff are fit to start the season.

A bit of a lottery choosing between United and Arsenal but I'll give it to Man U.

Newcastle because almost everyone else will be going for Liverpool. :) I just think Liverpool are screwed if Carragher or Hyypia gets injured. They also haven't got the best of wingers. They probably aren't finished buying though. Souness is better than he gets credit for. He got a mediocre Blackburn team to 6th in the league not so long ago. He has strengthened the midfield with Parker and Emre to add to a decent set of players already. They'll also buy a top quality centre half and striker before the window closes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think Chelsea will do it again, with Arsenal second and Liverpool scrapping with Man Utd for 3rd/4th.

Maybe I'm kidding myself but Utd seem a bit rudderless, there's no excitment surrounding the club as regards signings. Park is an interesting buy but apart from him...?

Dispite some wittering on about the lack of a BIG name signing I think Rafa has been very clever, one or two names still to come in defence/right wing hopefully.

Arsenal always seem to pull talent out of the hat and Chelsea have a great squad they just need a fit one to dominate I fear. Spurs are my dark horse.

Mike.

jank wrote:
    Id expect some signings but not loads. Im not even sure about that deadline actually its only for the qualifiers I think.
    Yeah, there's a seperate deadline for each round of the CL.

/edit - PHB, you gave someone stick about their over-confidence in Celtic yet you vote Man U for the league? No chance. Chelsea all the way. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

mike65 wrote:
    I think Chelsea will do it again, with Arsenal second and Liverpool scrapping with Man Utd for 3rd/4th.

Maybe I'm kidding myself but Utd seem a bit rudderless, there's no excitment surrounding the club as regards signings. Park is an interesting buy but apart from him...?

Dispite some wittering on about the lack of a BIG name signing I think Rafa has been very clever, one or two names still to come in defence/right wing hopefully.

Arsenal always seem to pull talent out of the hat and Chelsea have a great squad they just need a fit one to dominate I fear. Spurs are my dark horse.

Mike.

Ditto....including the call on Spurs.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

United will do better than that regardless of who signs who over the next while. I believe it will be tighter this year as United and Arsenal will respond to Chelsea raising the bar. Can't wait for it to start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Very tight race I'd say, now that the whole Premiership knows that Chelsea are the real deal, I don't think they'll run away with it.
    My dark horses are definately Spurs and Newcaslte. I agree with an above post, Souness is underrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I'm going with Mike on this one. Even as an Arsenal fan I have to admit that Chelsea will be very hard to topple. Their only weakness seems to be up front. Unless teams figure out how to restrict them to an average of <1 goal per game, I reckon they're likely to retain the championship. The loss of Vieira by Arsenal really doesn't allow me to say we've strengthened, although I'm hopeful that we'll be stronger defensively this year and that some of the youngsters in midfield like Flamini may prove to be surprisingly effective.

I disagree with people's expectations of Newcastle - I think they're a disaster waiting to happen. In the second half of last season they were bottom of the form table - worse than any of the relegated clubs, including Southampton. They seem to now have crises in both attack and defense, and numerous off-the-field problems. If anything, I'd tip them for a worse season than last.

I'd imagine Everton will fall back to mid table once the exertions of European football hits their squad. I fully expect the top 4 to consist of Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, and Man Utd unless Spurs spring a surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

eirebhoy wrote:
    1 Chelsea
    2 Man Utd
    3 Arsenal
    4 Newcastle

Em only if a certain Graeme Souness isn't in charge. Relegation battle for Newcastle all the way this season

Top 4:

1. Chelsea
    2. Arsenal
    3. Man United
    4. Tottenham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Im hoping for a tight race all season. A battle til the end, kinda like Serie A last season. That would be good. Ive gone for United this year, dont know why. Though my heart and my head hope for Spurs!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

I expect Chelsea to finish top again this season, they just seem to be oozing confidence and those new signings can only improve the team. Arsenal have definitely lost the spark of a year ago and the departure of Viera will hit them hard, if only on an inspirational level. Cole will sulk his way through the season. Im worried for United though, Fergie needs to knock some heads together and get them enjoying the footie again. I fear second is all they can manage this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

jank wrote:
    OK who is going to win the league next season. Reasons must be given too
    My top four are

1: Arsenal(its going to be very close though)
    2: Chelsea
    3: Liverpool
    4: Man Utd

:rolleyes: i presume you have Arsenal top because you support them? I don't think Arsenal will win, and i don't think Liverpool will finish above Man Utd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i see wee have 6 comedians on boards...

United to win the league? priceless :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I think United will win, although it'll go down to the last game of the season imo

Top 6:
    1. Man United
    2. Chelsea
    3. Spurs
    4. Arsenal
    5. Liverpool
    6. Charlton

:rolleyes: i presume you have Arsenal top because you support them? I don't think Arsenal will win, and i don't think Liverpool will finish above Man Utd

Instead of trying to slate someones opinion give yours and reasons behind it.
    Its what grown up people do.

Although andyman Spurs ahead of Arsenal. Dont know about that. Spurs might be a good bet for a CL spot but that would be in the expense of Utd or Liverpool.

Folks also remember that Arsenal have NEVER finished out side the top 2 since wenger started managing the club.

united-weaker then the last season
    Arsenal- with the loss of viera they are also weaker
    chelsea - improved alot on last seasons team.

ts in the bag for chelsea. I dont see how anyone can think other wise. Maybe you lost can tell us how excaclty united will make up the 18 point gap with a weaker team. Same goes for the people who voted arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

United - Getting older, weaker and just generally worse all-round. Anybody who thinks otherwise is a United fan or just plain old deluded. 4th.

Liverpool - Worryingly enough, they haven't changed their squad significantly. There's definitely an over-reliance on Gerrard already emerging I think... if he gets injured, we're screwed. 3rd.

Arsenal - Up for it...but that's not enough in a league situation. 2nd - though I expect a good showing from them in Europe.

Chelsea - You just know it...great team that is maturing, with some new additions? Nobody has a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

1. Chelsea
    2. Arsenal
    3. Man Utd
    4. Spurs / Newcastle

I think Chelsea are too strong for everyone now.
    They can also sustain lots of injuries since they have world class cover in almost every position.

Arsenal for second because they are guarenteed 25 goals from Henry.

Man Utd for third because they just haven't sorted out the central midfield.

Spurs will be top four if they can get some consistancy this year. They also Have great strength in depth. Still believe they need another top class experienced centre half.

I will go for Newcastle being 10th at christmas, Souness to get the sack Kevin Keegan to come back and us to finish fourth :p
    I'm Dreaming but it's better then watching the nightmare that is Souness. Oh and 4th is out the window if we don't sign a striker and a Top class Centre-Half by 31st of August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

ts in the bag for chelsea. I dont see how anyone can think other wise. Maybe you lost can tell us how excaclty united will make up the 18 point gap with a weaker team. Same goes for the people who voted arsenal.

Why exactly are United weaker?

Rio hopefully for a full season - experienced goalkeeper. Ronney and Ronaldo a year wiser. They may not win it but they are def stronger than last season, especially when a new midfielder is signed

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

andyman wrote:
    I think United will win, although it'll go down to the last game of the season imo

Top 6:
    1. Man United
    2. Chelsea
    3. Spurs
    4. Arsenal
    5. Liverpool
    6. Charlton
    Finally, we have one! It's not quite predicting Arsenal to finish 5th when they go and win the league unbeaten, but finishing outside the top 2 for the first time under Wenger (full season) behind Spurs will be close enough :)

Chelsea could have a stronger team and still not do as well as last season. Infact, I very much doubt they will match last season's total. Team's will make it harder for them, they're the champions and it goes with the territory.

Personally I think Arsenal have a stronger team than last season. Hopefully there won't be as many injuries to key personnel as there were last year. Senderos has burst into the team, and Arsenal's defensive record has been outstanding since he did. Fabregas, Flamini, Reyes and Van Persie should all improve, and the likes of Eboue, Clichy, Quincy and Hleb should increase pressure for first team places.

Plus, the transfer market isn't closed yet.

TheMonster wrote:
    Why exactly are United weaker?

Rio hopefully for a full season - experienced goalkeeper. Ronney and Ronaldo a year wiser. They may not win it but they are def stronger than last season, especially when a new midfielder is signed

Rio with a unsigned contract at the home fans booing him? THats would be very damaging if it happened.

your central midfield a year older, they cant hack it at this level for a full season and yous dont have adequate cover.

Arsenal will miss viera experience. Hes there keane. Its a massive blow, and to not replace him will be hugely costly. Again a few transfers could change all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

it pains me but chelsea,they look so strong,the rest will be playing second fiddle two them :(

Personally I think Arsenal have a stronger team than last season. Hopefully there won't be as many injuries to key personnel as there were last year. Senderos has burst into the team, and Arsenal's defensive record has been outstanding since he did. Fabregas, Flamini, Reyes and Van Persie should all improve, and the likes of Eboue, Clichy, Quincy and Hleb should increase pressure for first team places.

Well said. I think people are reading too much into the selling vieria. Its not as if Arsenal had to sell him, it was very mutual imo. Indicating that Wenger knows what he is doing. He seems to be building a new team around a new midfield. There are still some signings to come I think. In fact I wouldnt rule out 2 signings.

I've decided not to include possible transfers since we can't accurately guesst, so I'm just going on current squads.

Man United:

Have they gotten stronger?

They have added a goalie who I think will give the extra line that little bit of a push to go from the second best defense in the country to on par with the best defense in the country.
    I don't think there is any issue whatsoever with United's defense and I think its fine.
    Park is also a good squad player.

---

Where our problem was last year was scoring goals. We scored a record low in the last ten years, a total to be ashamed of.
    Why do I think this will change?

First off, we have Van Nist back.
    His season was dogged with injury and I think next season he will be out to prove a point.
    Secondly we have Saha back, who scored a total of two goals last year, after being injured 4 seperate times.
    Thirdly we have Ole back, whos speciality was scoring in the last ten minutes of matches, a super sub if you will. He will bring that with his return.
    Forthyl we have Park, who has a knack for scoring goals, which is nice to see from a winger.

Of course you can't score goals unless you create the chances, so where is the creation going to improve.
    Well first off I don't think it needs to improve greatly, as seen in say the FA Cup final, but anyway,

Rooney will be the same
    Ronaldo is looking faster and stronger in pre-season and is looking utterly deadly. His final ball is getting better and better every time I see him, and I think he is going to be United's best player by far next year.
    Fletcher I think is due a good season. Anyone who agrees with me about his ability will say ok, anyone who thinks he is **** is going to think he is **** no matter what I say.
    Kleberson has looked much more impressive in pre season, particuarly today, so perhaps we might finally get to see him play properly, but I ain't holding out huge hope.

Scholes is the key to United's season next year.
    I will honastly say right now that with United's current squad Scholes will decide if we win or come 2nd or 3rd. Luckily for us, he has been very impressive in pre-season so far, and has looked like the Scholes of old. Perhaps he still has one or two good seasons in him left.

Things which will decide 1st 2nd or 3rd:

Van Nist's form
    Scholes's form

---

Chelsea:

Transfers

SWP in, to provide cover for Robben and Duff. Cole isn't enough, and I think SWP will give the extra bit of cover required so something like that happened in the Liverpool semi won't happen again.
    Del Horno will provide the left back cover, which was something which actually cost them last season, with Duff playing as left back at one point.
    Crespo will takeover the front man role

They have only strengthed their squad, but have only improved one position

---

Their defense is rock solid, utterly fantastic.
    I would suggest that perhaps Makelele won't be as amazing as he was this year, just simply because he is getting older, but I don't expect it. I doubt Chelsea will leak many goals this year.

Midfield is stronger.

Upfront is still where they lack a little, but I think Crepso will add a finishing touch that they have lacked. He however didn't settle in England before, so whether he will this time around is the question at hand.

But I don't think they will match the points total they got this year.
    Why?
    No team but United have ever retained the premiership, and United have done it sparingly.
    It is incredibly hard to do, why?
    Everybody wants to beat you.
    Every single match the other team will raise their game against you.
    Man United and Arsenal have both had to deal with this is the past years, and it has been troublesome.

Thus I think they will start to loose a couple more points here and there.
    Also United and ARsenals pressure will be much more constant next year, it won't be post-Christmass.
    Its unlikely they will be able to make any substanial lead straight away, and they will be under pressure from the word go, something which they didn't have to deal with at all last year, with very little pressure being applied on
    them. United and Arsenal rolled over for them last year.

Factors to decide 1st 2nd or 3rd:

Makelele's form
    Lampard/Terry's injury free season
    Robben/Duff's time spent injured

Arsenal:

Transfers

Loss of Vieira. Absolutely huge. Best midfielder in England for the last 2 years imo. Combined with the loss of Edu makes Arsenals midfield seriously lacking experience.
    Hleb however is a fantastic buy, an amazing player imo who will make a serious impact. More of a AMC than a CM though.

---

Defense as alawys will be Arsenals problem:
    Lehman hasn't been replaced, but he got unfairly tarred with the same brush as Caroll last year when he shouldn't have been.
    I still feel in defense that without Campbell arsenal look weak. Senderos is great for the future, but Campbell is so much more solid.
    Also Lauren is very weak defensivly as best shown in the United game, but tends to preform consistantly over the season.
    Either way, Defense has never been a huge problem for Arsenal because of their attack.

Midfield next year will be amazing going forward. When talking about Arsenal up front you just say Henry and you realise that they will score goals in almost every match next year. When you add Reyes Van Persie Bergkamp Pires Lnunberg and now Hleb onto that, you realise they will score in pretty much every match.
    Where I think Arsenals season will come down to is in the CM position. Fabregas is an amazing prospect, but even last year when he was playing great, I still felt he lacked the leadership of Vieira and Arsenal were somewhat lacking on that front. With their current squad I think it will be interesting to see how they cope, and its really quite unknown what will happen. I think this is a season for Gilberto Silva to shine. He will decide if Arsenal leak goals or not this year, and I think he might show how good a player he really is. Arsenal missed him a lot last year.

Factors to decide 1st 2nd or 3rd:

Henry's Captaincy
    Hleb's influence
    Gilberto's form

I'm going to say catagorically that Arsenal Chelsea and Man United are going to be in the top 3, and they are going to be there by at least a 10 goal cushion. Obviously as a United fan I think we are going to win, but I am most scared by Arsenal. In an unbiased mood I would tip them for the championship, just cause I've seen them when they are on a run with huge pressure and they've just walked on through.
    Either way, its gona be a great title race.

4th Place and beyond

Liverpool:

Transfers

Crouch is a good addition, although I don't think he actually improves the front line, just adds depth.
    Gonzalez is coming back from a cruciate, so I think it'll be Christmass before we see him properly.
    Sissoko is a quality player for the future, although I doubt next season we'll see him hugely.
    Zenden, best buy of the lot. Has been preforming great for MIddlesborough for quite some time, and will provide a great outlet for Liverpool, and some versitility.

---

At the back they have some great quality.
    They might be a tiny bit slow, especially Hypia, but if Carragher can keep form then they will remain solid.
    However if Carragher gets injured, I can see Liverpool's defense crumbling, badly. Squad depth is needed here and it isnt there.

Midfield is where Liverpool are probably strongest.
    They have probably the second best midfielder in the country(behind Lampard) as their captain, with Alonso and Hamann two quality players beside him.
    Zenden will do well on one wing, and Garcia on the other, but they do lack a bit of natural width, which is a shame considering the heading abilities of Morientes.
    I think creativity wise they lack a little bit in midfield. And I think the quality they have in midfield after Lampard Alonso and Zenden will show on the cold winter nights in Palace, or Wigan or whatever. Garcia being a main culprit here.

Scoring goals is where LIverpool's problem will be. I don't think the strikers they have are up to the task of breaking into the top 3.
    Crouch was a good player for a team fighting relegation, and hasn't proved it at this level yet.
    Morientes can't seem to find his feet.
    Cisse doesn't look anywhere near as sharp as he did in france, but that said I think he is most likely to be the Liverpool top scorer this year.
    Baros is on his way out, but if not, can't seem to hack it in the premiership, no idea why, this guy has uddles of talent.

Why they won't get into the top 3

No defensive Cover.
    Lacking creativity
    No proven goalscorer

Factors to determine 4th 5th 6th...

Gerrards form(something not great last year)
    Carragher's form/injury freeness
    Goal Scorer emerging

I however expect them to get 4th, but in a very close race with Newcastle/Everton/Middlesborough

Newcastle:

Transfers

Without a doubt the most improved team in the transfer market.
    Parker in
    Emre in
    Robert out
    Bellamy out
    Kluivert out
    O'Brien out

---

Defensivly still very weak, and I think that will show. However with Boumsong the defense is getting better and I think will continue to. Also with Given there he can be a one man defense.

Midfield is where they will shine this year.
    Parker to combine with Jenas will give a quality in the centre that could get them into CL spots.
    Emre and Dyer will probably play on the wings, allowing the strikers to always play up front.

As much as I hate Shearer, he still has it, and this is probably going to be his last season and I know he is dying for a decent showing on all fronts.

Factors to decide 4th 5th 6th

Defenders bought
    Jenas's form
    Shearer's form

Everton:

Transfers

Everton are the sad story of the market imo.
    Players they tried to get didn't go to them such as Parker, and now Cahill seems to want to move in a year or two.
    Davies is a quality signing, but they still havn't replaced Graveson.

---

Graveson was an amazing player, and you can see that in their pre/post Christmass form.
    I think with their current squad, they will get 6th or 7th, and will simply repeat their post-Christmas form
    That said

Factors to decide 4th 5th or 6th

Beatie's form
    Carsley's form
    Davie's form

Spurs:

Transfers

Very impressive transfer dealings done by Jol in the last year.
    Routledge and Huddlestone are great great players for the future, and Jol has been setting up a nice under 24's team :)
    But with the inclusion of Davids in the centre
    I don't know much about the foreign signings, but I expect them to be good as I rate Jol.

---

Doubt they can take on Liverpool/Newcastle/Everton for 4th place, but maybe in a year or two.

Factors to decide 4th 5th or 6th

David's form
    Top strikers emerging
    Defense's form

Middlesborough:

Transfers
    Yakubu in, an absolute quality buy
    Loss of Zenden will be felt

---

Same old same old from Middlesborough, will continue to maintain their solid 6th place march area, and might push up for 5th.

--

Predicted table:

1. Man United :P
    2. Arsenal
    3. Chelsea
    4. Liverpool
    5. Everton
    6. Newcastle
    7. Middlesborough
    8. Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Every year I read people predicting Arsenal will finish third or fourth and every year they're proved wrong. I am a little worried about Vieira's absence but I think a fit Gilberto will compensate fairly adequately.
    If Henry remains injury free, he'll score his usual haul.
    Hleb sounds like he's doing well in the friendlies and I think he'll fit in well.
    Senderos and Toure looked a good partnership near the end of the season though I think Campbell will be used fairly often as there'll always be injuries. If he gets a decent run back in the first XI, he could well stay there.
    I think it'll be between Arsenal and Chelsea and just hope Arsenal shade it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

1. Chelsea
    2. Arsenal
    3. Liverpool
    4. United

i think itll be close between chelsea and arsenal, but theyll end up quite a bit away from the other 2 come the end of the season. united and liverpool is a tough one to call, but i went for liverpool due to some decent work in the transfer market from benitez, and the fact that their woeful inconsistancy in the premiership last season surely cant be repeated again this time round

i fancy spurs to do quite well too, possibly top 5, definitely top 7

im a villa fan but i think top 6 is out of reach again this year. its the same old story again we just dont have the goals in the squad, or that something special in the middle

workhorses like mccann are grand, but we need someone who can turn a game with a moment of genius, and altho nobby solano and berger will work well out on either side, i just dont think we have a matchwinner in the center

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

1 Manchester United
    2 Chelsea
    3 Arsenal
    4 Tottenham Hotspur

Posssibly I,m letting my heart rule my head but I do believe united will be a stronger team this year. The defence will be tighter with a new keeper and hopefully Rio will sort out his situation without further upheavel and no lasting damage to his United career. Rudd appears to be in good form too. We should be a better team than last year.

Chelsea have strengthed their squad too but it's tough to hold onto the title as everyone is gunning for you.

Arsenal are a weaker team than last year and there are a few unsettled players in their squad too. Reyes is the key man at arsenal this season and
    they need hime to settle down and do the business. I'm not going to say you win nothing with kids but i do think they will find it tough to better last years position without Viera,

It's a toss up between Spurs and Liverpool for fourth place for me and as the squads stand at the moment I believe Spurs could just edge it. I was very impressed with their style of football last year and their summer signings has strengthened them. Liverpool will need to sort out their inconsistancies and there are rumours of a few signings that could sway it in their favour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Loss of Vieira. Absolutely huge. Best midfielder in England for the last 2 years imo.

I'd have to disagree with that point and say that I believe that Vieira was the best midfielder in England(And best Def Mid in Europe) for the 4/5 years previous to that.
    Its over the last two years that his performance has dropped slightly.

Anway, my predictions:

1) Arsenal
    2) Chelski
    3) Liverpool
    4) Man U

Arsenal - I think you'll see at least one more big signing at Arsenal this summer. After a month or two settling-in period, I reckon Hleb will be huge in the premiership. Add in the fact that we've got by far the best bunch of young players around, coupled with the fact its the last season at Highbury and I think we'll take it(just!) from Chelski.

Chelski - Obviously have a very, very strong squad. When everybody speaks about teams having a "Blip" mid-season, chelski really shouldn't, with all their experienced squad players.
    However, I think you'll seem them struggle when all the smaller teams in the league start to play a very defensive game against them - there were signs of this in the last month or two of last season.

I'd imagine that Liverpool and United will be some way behind the top 2 - I'll call it as Liverppol to sneak it as United seem to have a pretty disgruntled squad of players.

PHB wrote:
    1. Man United :P
    2. Arsenal
    3. Chelsea
    4. Liverpool
    5. Everton
    6. Newcastle
    7. Middlesborough
    8. Spurs
    While I don't agree with this poster that Celtic would finish anywhere near 4th in the PL this season, they would have had a good chance 2 years ago.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3110817&postcount=56

I think its really hypocritical of you to say its overconfidence like the posts above that make you dislike Celtic yet you still predict Man Utd finishing top. Not a chance in hell.

And I presume "crap club" was a sly dig? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

1st- Man Utd (Assuming that they make ONE quality midfield signing) Ronaldo and Rooney improving, I have a feeling that they are both going to take the absolute piss this season.
    2nd - Chelsea - I can see alot of dressing room troubles for Chelsea this year given the fact that that many top quality players won't be playing for most of the season. I have a feeling that it'll affect morale. Also don't think Cech/Lampard/Terry are going to be quite as good as they were last season.
    3rd - Arsenal - Obviously Arsene knows what he's doing, but Viera's sale will have a major psychological impact on the team and in spite of the fact that he'll make some more astute signings before the 31st August I think the prem is beyond them this season. Think they'll do surprisingly well in the Champo league though. Gut Feeling.
    4th - Liverpool - Don't think they'll be up to much up front this year and it'll cost them. That said, a decent signing could remedy this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I voted Chelsea but Im kind of thinking Arsenal now.

Chelsea have obviously strengthened, but as Arsenal themselves have found out on so many occassions its easier to win a title than it is to defend it. While I think Chelsea have better resources to do so it will be a tough task. I also feel the the CL will be Mourinho's first choice target.

Arsenal despite the loss of Vieira have quite a few young players really maturing. Fabregas, Van Persie, Reyes, Senderos all look to be the real deal. Sentimental factors like their last season at Highbury will come into play. I still feel the might need a bit more experience in the middle as a result of the loss of Edu (to add to the obvious one of Vieira). They know they are not in a chance of the CL ;) so regaining the Premiership title will be their number one priority.

United I dont feel have done enough to bridge the gap to take the title. A new GK has been the only signing of note so far. They will be a factor obviously, and only a fool would completely rule them out at this stage, but I dont think they have what it takes anymore to deal with the younger and hungrier sides of Arsenal and Chelsea.

Liverpools target should be third, whether they get there or not is another story all together. There is no point in aiming for 4th, you have to set sights higher. They have added far more strength in depth, and hopefully with more defensive cover they will be an influence on where the title ends up. Third is the aim :( but Ill be happy with fourth and a closer margin, maybe even reach the dizzying heights of first or second for a period after September.

Honest predictions, leaving all loyalty and bias aside:

1. Arsenal
    2. Chelsea
    3. United
    4. Liverpool
    5+ anyones guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

1. Chelsea
    2. Arsenal
    3. Man United
    4. Liverpool
    5. Spurs
    6. Boro
    7. Villa
    8. Newcastle
    9. Bolton
    10. Charlton

I'm too hung over to explain why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

At the time of posting, Man U have received 25% of the votes...this i just cant understand, and seems as unrealistic as if i were to vote liverpool first simply because i follow them..

My predictions;
    1)Arsenal
    2)Chelsea
    3)Man U/Liverpool
    4)Liverpool/Man U
    5)Spurs

Dont get me wrong, i dont actually think arsenal are a better team then chelsea, I just think its very close between them. Given that everyone will be playing at an extra level against chelsea, as champions, I think this hands the edge to Arsenal. As everyone knows, its very hard to defend the title, nigh on impossible if the teams around you are close, which they certainly are in this case. Dont think Viera will make that big a difference, they still have quality and im expecting signings.

As for 3rd and 4th, I think it will be very close, but i fancy Man U to just take it but that it will go down to the wire. I think both will be fairly near the very top (within 10, 15points). Id be fairly happy with 4th for Pool under these circumstances as all i want from this season is a signal of intent. A message to the big 3 that we're hot on their heels. That'd do me nicely. Either way i expect this to be a great season at the top, on par with when it was Arsenal, Liverpool and Man u all competeing till the very end a few years ago.

Spurs I think will finally make that next step up as they are assembling a very nice team, i think its a little too soon to expect more then 5th but id imagine most fans would be happy with that. Again, as with liverpool, a stepping stone for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Also don't think Cech/Lampard/Terry are going to be quite as good as they were last season.

I agree with Cech. But Terry and Lampard have gotten stronger every season and imo should either of them get a long term injury, Chelsea's title hopes will be ruined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

My unbiased prediction:

1. Chelsea
    2. Man Utd
    3. Arsenal
    4. Spurs
    5. Liverpool

18. West Ham
    19. West Brom
    20. Wigan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

1.ManUtd 2.Chelsea 3.Arsenal 4.Liverpool, all very predictable in regards to the top 3 or 4,i go for for Man utd for a couple of reasons 1. could be the gaffers last season and he will want to go all out for title 2. Rooney and rvn what a partnership if free from injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

1.Chelsea
    2.liverpool
    3.Arsenal
    4.Man Utd

reasons:

Chelsea -

despite being a bunch of mercenarys, they're the complete package and have the best squad in the league...and if they dont, they can add more in january. with top class cover in every position they'll be beating all the smaller teams week in, week out.

Liverpool -

i'm putting liverpool in 2nd place because theres more of a full squad with versitile players that can play across the midfield and in attack. my second reason for liverpool in 2nd place is the piss poor squad and half a$$ tactics they're using at man utd and i think arsenals over-reliance on youth will cost them in the first few months. liverpool in 2nd place is based on them getting in at least 2 centre backs though.

Arsenal -

in 3rd this year because henry as captain wont be as effective as viera, and there just isnt enough quality and experience there in the younger players yet. hleb will be a stand out player, but theres too many holes in the midfield and the goalkeeper is dodgy to say the least.

Man Utd -

of the top for teams (and no everton are not one of them) i think man utd are in the worst position, along with liverpool. both teams lack the youth coming through. but man utd are suffering from a manager thats past it imo, tactics that dont suit the squad they have, and players that are getting on and are not being replaced by the clubs own youth system.

if any of those teams want to ever challenge chelsea then they need to invest in their own youth acadamys. Man united owned the premiership in the last 10 years or so because they had top youth players coming through and mixed in with the odd couple of players bought. man united had all that success and didnt have to pay for any of their best players

no team can compete with chelsea when it comes to buying players, but if they invest in developing their younger players then the other teams never will have to compete so much with chelseas money.

arsenal are the only team going bout things the right way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

its amazing how little everton was mentioned by a lot of people

i think it'll happen this way

chelsea,arsenal,utd,liverpool

don't think anyone hasdone enough to knock chelsea off for this season anyway...with their wingers fit its gonna be tough..aresnal haven't made a killing this time round on the transfer marker and neither have utd and even rio isn't 100% yet..liverpool have made some progress but only enough to get us up into 4th

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

my predictions are

1. Chelsea
    2. Arsenal
    3. Liverpool
    4. Man yoo
    5. Tottenham

I just can't see anyone touching Chelsea.....

I think if Henry gets injured for a long amount of time then Arse will be crap! Watched them against Ajax last night I know its only pre-season, but they didn't impress me...hope henry gets injured for a few months... :p don't think they're great without him...plus Pires is no central midfielder!!

Liverpool.....considering all the injuries last season cost us 4th place, I think with an injury free season we are gonna do well.....we'll def win either FA cup or the league cup, and I can see us doing well in the Champs League again!
    Looking forward to the new season....gerrard to score 15 league goals this season!! But if a manager can win the Champion's league in his first season, then anything is possible....champion's league ?? Your having a laugh..... :D:D:D

Man yoo..... think they are starting their decline...players fighting with other players, players not signing contracts....not good...I think park was a good signing too though....

just my 2cents......Come the pool!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

1. Chelsea, they won by a garden mile last year and now they're even stronger this season (!) thanks to the new signings. How United or Arsenal fans can think they have a chance is beyond me.

2. Arsenal, if they had Baptista and didn't lose Veira then I reckon they might come close to challenging Chelsea. Hleb looks promising but there's no new players in defence. I think that area will prove their undoing.

3. Liverpool, I've been impressed with Benitez's signings. While they're not of the quality to compete with Chelsea, I think it'll give them lots of depth and ideas, something they lacked last season.

4. Man U, still haven't sorted out replacements for Keane and Scholes. Ferdinand is too busy throwing his rattle out of the pram and the new boys Van der Saar and Parky are hardly world class. If they get Owen though, I think that might just be enough of a boost to get them third.

5. Spurs, controversial but they've got what looks like a very handy side. Davids should be a great signing for them, giving a very technical side some backbone and experience. The team will need to gel though.

6. Newcastle, I don't rate Souness at all but Emre and Parker are good buys, if he can get a central defender then they should be tighter in the back. They're in desperate need of a striker too though, Shearer simply doesn't have the legs to play every game next season.

7. Middlesborough, the loss of Zenden will be felt, a good striker in Yakubu has been brough in but other than Downing they could be limp in creativity in the midfield. If Mendieta can discover some form though, they could challenge for a higher position.

18. Sunderland

19. Wigan

20. West Ham

No class in their teams at all, they've can't even attract premier league names to them. I can't see how these Championship players can compete, down they go. Maybe West Brom or Fulham can do worse, I doubt it though.

I love Liverpool fans, nothing like that kinda optimism.
    Mocking United fans for suggesting they are going to overcome a point 18 gap, or Arsenal a 12 point gap.
    Compare that to Liverpool who are going to overcome 17 a point gap to just catch up with United :)

Heres my question to all people who think United are going to do ****?
    If they havn't gotten better, which I could understand how you might see that with VDS and Park bought, how exactly have we gotten worse?

How are we going to do worst than last year, which is perhaps one of the worst in quite some time.
    Or is it that Liverpool are going to jump 17 points, with their vastly improved squad, top quality players liek Zenden and Crouch, really putting the fear of god into the top 3.

Whats going to happen exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

United have 2 central midfielders (That have been present for them over the past 10 years) not long away from getting their pension, their best defender is refusing to sign a 100k a week deal and is being booed by his OWN fans. Their main striker is kneeing people off the ball and trying to kill every person who tackles him. They bought a shirt salesman and a 34 year old goalkeeper. Liverpool have improved their squad and are working on what went wrong last season, liverpool getting 3rd is not as optimistic as united finishing first.
    If they havn't gotten better, which I could understand how you might see that with VDS and Park bought, how exactly have we gotten worse?

Yes because not getting worse is a cause for optimism. Just because you havent gotten worse doesnt mean that you cant be overtaken.

PHB wrote:
    I love Liverpool fans, nothing like that kinda optimism.
    Mocking United fans for suggesting they are going to overcome a point 18 gap, or Arsenal a 12 point gap.
    Compare that to Liverpool who are going to overcome 17 a point gap to just catch up with United :)

How are we going to do worst than last year, which is perhaps one of the worst in quite some time.
    Or is it that Liverpool are going to jump 17 points, with their vastly improved squad, top quality players liek Zenden and Crouch, really putting the fear of god into the top 3.

Whats going to happen exactly?

uniteds midfielders couldnt hack the pace of a full season last year, its going to be even harder this season. Rio wants to leave.

YOur 2 signing havent been excactly frightening either. A old goalkeeper and some marketing tool? wow i bet chelsea are bricking it.

Liverpool have strengthen in nearly every department, except defense which they will do before the start of the season. If united dont sign anyone else they will be battling with liverpool for 3rd place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

yep... i agree....LFC will be at least 3rd this year :D

Injuries cost us badly last year and it won't happen again

!viva la Rafalución!! :D:D U just wait and see!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

My heart says Arsenal but my head says Chelsea.

Chelsea to win, with Arsenal runners up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Dont see Chelsea retaining the title ,will be a challenge and im not sure there up for it. Will terry/lampard keep there fitness freakishly all season again? Will teams go out everytime to try and get a result out of the champions? Yes see every team in the country giving it everything.

I dont wanna say it but i think Arsenal are in a great postion this year, Veira is a big loss but was there signs of him not being the player he once was. I think wenger got a great deal. This was the last point were he could sell him for money. Henry not being injured for to long will be key at any point in the season also Senederos will be key. If he plays well then Pascal Cygan mighten need to play but i hope he does :) .

My heart wants man utd to win but it comes down can Scholes have an on form season ?, lets hope so. Goalkeeper im so glad they got the dutch man. Great 2-3 yr filler. Van nist with no injuries please, i wanna see him tapping goals in from the 6 yard line again :) .

Liverpool can challenge its possible but i doubt it very much.Say they will still have the same lag after champions league games like last season, and will draw/lose games they should win. Stevie G, 2 CBS form (will he get another in before the season starts, methinks he needs to) and whoever he plays upfront.

Middlesborough,Tottenham,Newcastle,Man city will all push for 4th,5th,6th,7th,8th , yes i know ive omitted everton because i honestly dont seem them up there with them losing Alan stubbs( that was a shock they let him go) and i dont think Martyn will have another super start to the season.

Only way i see Newcastle having a great season is if Souness is sacked within 5 games.

Relegated: West Brom, Wigan, West Ham. I think Sunderland might actually stay up :eek: but they will be in the fight. Also i wouldnt rule out fulham being in that fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

1 Chelsea
    2 Arsenal
    3 Liverpool
    4 Newcastle
    5 Tottenham
    6 Middlesbrough
    7 Bolton
    8 Man City
    9 Everton
    10 Man Utd
    11 Birmingham