Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Prediction 05-06

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    1 Chelsea
    2 Arsenal
    3 Liverpool
    4 Newcastle
    5 Tottenham
    6 Middlesbrough
    7 Bolton
    8 Man City
    9 Everton
    10 Man Utd
    11 Birmingham
    12 Aston Villa
    13 West Ham
    14 Fulham
    15 Charlton
    16 Blackburn
    17 West Brom
    18 Sunderland
    19 Portsmouth
    20 Wigan

LOL United are not going to have much of a season so.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

1.Chelsea
    2.liverpool
    3.Arsenal
    4.Man Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

United have 2 central midfielders (That have been present for them over the past 10 years) not long away from getting their pension, their best defender is refusing to sign a 100k a week deal and is being booed by his OWN fans. Their main striker is kneeing people off the ball and trying to kill every person who tackles him. They bought a shirt salesman and a 34 year old goalkeeper. Liverpool have improved their squad and are working on what went wrong last season, liverpool getting 3rd is not as optimistic as united finishing first.

You've got a talent for spin.
    Let me try:
    Liverpool brought a tall man, an injured man, an old man, a kid, and a keeper to replace the keeper who won the CL for them.
    Nope thats just silly.
    Just like saying VDS isn't a great signing, since he was one of the top goalies in the prem last year.
    Park might or might not be a marketing tool, I don't care, hes got some game. Not huge class, but he pops in a good few goals and assists so I'm happy.

I love this aging midfield argument.
    Keano is getting well on, no doubt. Yet he schooled every single midfielder last season, cept Makelele, in the premiership last year. Remember the two games vs. Liverpool, ah yes Gerrard got injuried, gee considering hes young, or Arsenal. Did Keano have a bad year last year or something, cause if I'm not mistaken, which I'm not he had a fantastic year, and can barely run anymore, yet still had a fantastic year.
    Scholes had a bad year, no doubt, but theres nothing to s uggest he is going to get worse, since he is at his physical peak.
    How exactly is our midfield going to be worse next year, if anything its going to be better, cause Fletcher will be a year better. Also Scholes can't repeat last season, which was arguably the worst of his career.

I respect optimism, I really do. Liverpool have a chance to get 3rd spot, but do you know what would have to happen for it to happen?
    Man United or Arsenal or Chelsea would have to collapse. They would have to go on a losing spree.
    With Chelsea at an amazing level, and Man Utd and ARsenal desperatly trying to compete with them, what chances are there that this year those two teams are going to suddenly collapse?

Lets not forget, last season Liverpool came 5th. They couldn't hack it on a cold winters night, and certainly not after the CL games. So even if they only get into the group stages, they are going to lose/draw 6 games post CL. Whats happened to change that?
    Gerrard can only do so much, and even himself didn't do great last year. He is a big big big game player, he can handle the tough stuff, but has he shown ever that he can handle the likes of Wigan? All his best moments have been against the greats, not against the best.
    When your best player can't even hack it against the ****e teams, what chance do Liverpool have as a whole.

But hey, I like Rafa, he rocks. I fully expect Liverpool to get 4th next year, and up their points total from last year. But lets not get silly. even the reasonable Liverpool fans don't expect 3rd, cause it's incredibly unlikely. Infact have a look at paddy power.
    Liverpool are a 20-1 shot for the prem. Those 9 people should really get some money down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

teams that will contend for the title : Chelsea , Arsenal , Man United , Liverpool

teams that will contend for a Champions League place : Chelsea , Arsenal , Man United , Liverpool , Newcastle , Spurs , +1 normally mid-table team ; im going to go with Man City .

1.Chelsea
    2.Arsenal
    3.Man United
    4.Liverpool(if Souness is replaced by someone half dececnt soon this spot will be Newcastle's)
    5.Spurs
    6.Newcastle
    7.Man City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    I love this aging midfield argument.
    Keano is getting well on, no doubt. Yet he schooled every single midfielder last season, cept Makelele, in the premiership last year. Remember the two games vs. Liverpool, ah yes Gerrard got injuried, gee considering hes young, or Arsenal. Did Keano have a bad year last year or something, cause if I'm not mistaken, which I'm not he had a fantastic year, and can barely run anymore, yet still had a fantastic year.
    Scholes had a bad year, no doubt, but theres nothing to s uggest he is going to get worse, since he is at his physical peak.
    How exactly is our midfield going to be worse next year, if anything its going to be better, cause Fletcher will be a year better. Also Scholes can't repeat last season, which was arguably the worst of his career.
    Keane had a good year personally, but the team has had to change formation to cope with the midfields ageing profile to its detriment.

Keane and Scholes are too old to compete as a midfield pairing on their own over the course of a season. They need the extra man. Uniteds success has been built on the 4-4-2 formation with two attacking wide men and two energetic midfielders. They dont have those two energetic midfielders anymore.

The midfield will be worse next year because some of the most important figures will be older, before this year is out Keane, Scholes and Giggs will be 34, 31, and 32 respectively.
    PHB wrote:
    I respect optimism, I really do. Liverpool have a chance to get 3rd spot, but do you know what would have to happen for it to happen?
    Man United or Arsenal or Chelsea would have to collapse. They would have to go on a losing spree.
    With Chelsea at an amazing level, and Man Utd and ARsenal desperatly trying to compete with them, what chances are there that this year those two teams are going to suddenly collapse?
    It wouldnt take a "collapse" from any of them bar Chelsea.

Liverpool lost 14 games last year. Nine of them 1-0. If they were to turn around six of those nine defeats they would be within a point of Uniteds tally, seven from Arsenal. I dont think that is an unrealistic target, and it wouldnt involve a change in fortunes of United or Arsenal.
    PHB wrote:
    Lets not forget, last season Liverpool came 5th. They couldn't hack it on a cold winters night, and certainly not after the CL games. So even if they only get into the group stages, they are going to lose/draw 6 games post CL. Whats happened to change that?
    The signing of six players, with another two promised within the week. Cisse being back is like a new signing.
    PHB wrote:
    Gerrard can only do so much, and even himself didn't do great last year. He is a big big big game player, he can handle the tough stuff, but has he shown ever that he can handle the likes of Wigan? All his best moments have been against the greats, not against the best. When your best player can't even hack it against the ****e teams, what chance do Liverpool have as a whole.
    Was the argument doing the rounds that Gerrard has never dominated against Keane or Vieira? Now its hes never done it against the small teams? Gerrard had a lacklustre season last year, but if you think he has never bossed "smaller" teams you need to watch more of him. 03/04 he ran the show week in week out against all of them.

Gerrard will be a new man next year, he has finally commited to the club. Expect big things, as already demonstrated in the CL qualifiers.
    PHB wrote:
    But hey, I like Rafa, he rocks. I fully expect Liverpool to get 4th next year, and up their points total from last year. But lets not get silly. even the reasonable Liverpool fans don't expect 3rd, cause it's incredibly unlikely. Infact have a look at paddy power. Liverpool are a 20-1 shot for the prem. Those 9 people should really get some money down.
    I wouldnt put a lot of money on Liverpool getting 3rd either, Im not going to even contemplate winning it.

I however would not term their chances of third as "incredibly unlikely". As I have shown they only need to up their performances a bit to narrow the gap considerably. Players who missed large parts of last year through injury are back. Their most crucial player has stayed and made up his mind that he will be a part of the team for at least the next two years. They will have signed eight new players to give the squad ample cover. They wont get sidetracked by the CL because they've been there, done that :D Benetiz demonstrated last year that he is one of the most astute in the business, anything is possible.

But as I said, Ill be happy with fourth and better overall account of the team. Ive lost too much money betting against United over the years, they are still an extremely strong force, and far stronger than a lot of people here give them credit for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

PHB wrote:
    You've got a talent for spin.
    Let me try:
    Liverpool brought a tall man, an injured man, an old man, a kid, and a keeper to replace the keeper who won the CL for them.
    Nope thats just silly.
    Just like saying VDS isn't a great signing, since he was one of the top goalies in the prem last year.
    Park might or might not be a marketing tool, I don't care, hes got some game. Not huge class, but he pops in a good few goals and assists so I'm happy.

Thats 7 players weve added and more to come. We are building up the squad. no matter how much you go on about uniteds chances, the facts are, Everytime united didnt win the premiership they bulked up with top quality players. They bought 2 players, didnt even cost 10 million between. You seem to think united are set, when everyone and anyone who watches football can see that the central midfield needs a top quality player, and i dont see anyone jumping at the chance. You say we are being over optimistic yet you just sit and tell that theres 'noway united can do any worse', like its gospel. Liverpool last year had so many injuries it wasnt even funny, steven gerrard, alonso, garcia, hamann, cisse, pongolle, kewell, josemi, kirkland...Off the top of my head, and they werent 2 week injuries, they were atleast 1-2 months, so we have a full strenght team now, added 7 players, the manager knows the problem we have away. Yet you say
    I love Liverpool fans, nothing like that kinda optimism.
    Now tell me again, why we shouldnt be optimistic about finishing 3rd. And that you should be allowed to be optimistic about finishing 1st?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

1. Chelsea
    2. Man Utd
    3. Arsenal
    4. Spurs
    5. Liverpool
    6. Bolton
    7. Man City
    8. Everton
    9. Middlesborough
    10. Newcastle
    11. Charlton
    12. Aston Villa
    13. Birmingham
    14. Blackburn
    15. Fulham
    16. West Ham
    17. Wigan
    18. Portsmouth
    19. West Brom
    20. Sunderland

IMO. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

My tuppence worth.

1. Chelsea (By 10-12 points)
    2. Liverpool (if Andrade comes in)
    3. Arsenal
    4. Man Utd (if they get Owen, 3rd)
    5. Spurs
    6. Man City
    7. Everton
    8. Middlesbrough
    9. Bolton
    10. Blackburn
    11. Newcastle
    12. Birmingham
    13. Aston Villa
    14. Charlton
    15. Fulham
    16. West Ham
    17. Portsmouth
    18. West Brom
    19. Sunderland
    20. Wigan

A lot of people tipping Man City to do well. Do you not feel they will really miss the presence of SWP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

People actually forget how bad United were at the start of last season.
    For the first six matches we were utter shambles.
    Infact for a brief 3 hr period we were in last place.
    Keano played in central defense with Brown for 3 games, and we had Bellion and Smith up front for about 5 games.
    If those games hadn't happened we would have beaten Arsenal, but they did.
    Just like those nine 1-0 defeats.

If Cisse is like a new player, so is Van Nist btw.
    If Alonso is a new player, so is Fletcher.
    People also forget about Arsenals injury troubles last year, with top quality players like Cambell and Vieira out for large periods, even Henry injured for a while, which is like ablue moon, the guy is always fit.

Everyone expects Chelsea to do great next year, I do too, but people should never ever underestimate either Arsenal or United, who both had serious bad spells last season.
    Chelsea are going to find it much much tougher, and United and Arsenal are going to raise their game.
    Don't forget that when Arsenal went on their unbeaten run everybody said the exact same things that people are saying about CHelsea now.

They'll miss him alright but I think Pearce will be their best manager in a long while. With Sinclair coming back from injury, I would be more worried about Barton's absence/mental health.

PHB wrote:
    If Alonso is a new player, so is Fletcher.
    Please...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

PHB wrote:
    People also forget about Arsenals injury troubles last year, with top quality players like Cambell and Vieira out for large periods, even Henry injured for a while, which is like ablue moon, the guy is always fit.

Thats 2 players, henry was out for a very short time, he missed about 5 matches at most. There was a time in the season were liverpool had NO strikers, not even mellor or pongolle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Nice to see everyone dismissing Everton and relegating them back to mid-table mediocracy :rolleyes:

Surely their efforts of last season have convinced some people that they are actually a decent enough side. Seems to be that some people need to be told twice and this is exactly the war cry that moyes will use... You've been warned people... watch out..

PHB -> Gravesen was replaced by Arteta. A younger fitter 'version'.

I know signings have been tough this summer. It seems players are only concerned about their bank balance rather than their career.

How anybody can honestly say that teams like Aston Villa, Man City and Newcastle will finish above Everton is beyond me... Did anyone see newcastle last year? They've let go 4 or 5 players and have bought 2!!!!
    They were woeful and their defence is worse than woeful....

My Everton team for this season, without any suggestions of signings before the transfer window...

Martyn

Hibbert
    Yobo
    Koldrup
    Pistone

Kilbane
    Arteta
    Cahill
    Davies

Bent
    Beattie

We definitely need a better left back. Pistone is good as cover, but he'd a bit past it. Im glad we got a young experienced centre back in Koldrup along with yobo i think we should be fine defensively.

A few signings and we'll be fine. Hopefully it is now and not january before this happens though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

1 Chelsea
    2 Arse
    3 Man U
    4 Liverpool
    5 Everton
    6 Boro
    7 Bolton
    8 Man City
    9 Spurs
    10 Blackburn
    11 Birmingham
    12 Fulham
    13 Charlton
    14 Portsmouth
    15 Villa
    16 Newcastle
    17 West Ham
    18 West Brom
    19 Sunderland
    20 Wigan

West Ham have a nasty habit of doing the unexpected, I think Newcastle could really struggle , and I can't see Sunderland or Wigan making any significant impact other than providing the odd 5-0 for Sky's highlights. I'd imagine Liverpool to start well but not have the depth to see them through to the end (especially if the get involved in a few competitions) and no matter what the comings / goings, age or wage demands of Man U and Arse you can't ignre the fact that their teams consistently play better football than most of the Premiership.

Chelsea to win , obviously. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Davei141 wrote:
    Thats 2 players, henry was out for a very short time, he missed about 5 matches at most. There was a time in the season were liverpool had NO strikers, not even mellor or pongolle.
    He was out for 6 weeks. I'll add some more: Gilberto was out for 8 months, Aliadiere about the same, Senderos was recovering from being out for a year, Reyes was out for several weeks, ditto Ljungberg, Edu was perpetually injured until christmas, while Cole, Flamini, Bergkamp, Pires and Cygan all had spells out.

Liverpool and Boro had similarily bad injury problems last season, so I expect all 3 to do better this time round. Catching United or Arsenal next season seems unrealistic to me though, they'll do well to gain some consistency. If they can cut down on silly losses they'll get fourth. Unlike the top three, I never saw Liverpool have a run of games where they looked irresistable. Chelsea played like that for good periods last season and ground out wins when they weren't playing quite so well, I thought United would leave Arsenal in the dust during mid-season when they were on a rampage, and Arsenal were pretty sensational at the beginning of the season and towards the end in places.

Turning around six 1-0 defeats, 18 points, isn't a major ask? I'm sure if you analyse each game there are lots of "but if they just had a little more luck here..." situations, but it's like that for everyone.

kaids wrote:
    Turning around six 1-0 defeats, 18 points, isn't a major ask? I'm sure if you analyse each game there are lots of "but if they just had a little more luck here..." situations, but it's like that for everyone.
    I dont think Liverpool will do this, but I definitely think that they can turn around at least four games. Liverpool lost to the likes of Cyrstal Palace, Southampton, Birmingham (twice) and Newcastle last year, all of whom finished in the bottom eight. This season they should definitely be aiming to pick up at least ten to twelve points from the same corresponding fixtures (obviously substituting promoted teams for relegated ones).

My point was just to highlight that they have a more realistic chance of challenging the "top teams" than some people are giving them credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

1 Chelsalona
    2 Man utd
    3 Arsenal
    4 Pool

is how i see the season going,man uniteds stronger squad will show up the in experience in the arsenal squad who will perform extremely well in patches,chelsea to win the title with about 6 points clear at the last match and pool to be quite close to arsenal come the end but personally i can see some of benitez's signings (atleast thus far) faltering after seeing some of last years signings such as pelligrinio and antonio nunez+ the right back whose name escapes me right now....hoping crouch does well though,been keeping an eye on him for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

1. Arsenal
    2. Liverpool
    3. Utd
    4. Chelsea

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Btw I voted for Liverpool, just to send Arsenal to the bottom of the pile :p, they are at their best when they are the underdogs!

• Advertisement

kaids wrote:
    Btw I voted for Liverpool, just to send Arsenal to the bottom of the pile :p, they are at their best when they are the underdogs!
    I noticed that myself. Its a bit of a farce to be honest. Just shows that there are only a few Arsenal supporters on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Who the hell voted other? :eek: :p

Advertisement