Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hwch

• 28-07-2005 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Now, i'm just playing devils advocate here....

but HWCH.
    the point is to get the best unsigned irish bands seen by the industry by providing a showcase.

right?

well.
    almost half of the irish "unsigned" bands played last year.
    If a band is good enough they don't need to showcase.
    A&R men who come over will know beforehand who they are going to see, they won't spend a day watching the show openers.
    by the very virtue of the gig you're going to miss 4 other bands while watching one, and, as all the best bands are this year playing the Olympia, why would an A&R man spend his night in Dorans?

these things, and more, confuse me.

On the list of bands playing, there are very few who are Excellent. lots with potential, but nothing close to natural genius.

Gah.

that is all.

any views?

**please. please don't just start naming off bands you know....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

What? Showcase? Industry? Who gives a ****? I just wanna see the bands. I'd say most of the bands just wanna play to an audience who they wouldn't usually get to play to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

That man's livin' the Punk Rock Lifestyle right there.

Recognise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

half the bands who played last year were managed by the judging panel ;)
    ok im exagerating but the selection process was dubious to say the least.
    Despite the fact that loads of people from Ireland apply this year they are including UK bands?? :rolleyes:
    However all grumbling aside it is a chance to see loads of up & coming bands so it is value for money for any punters viewing & listening
    why would an a&r man want to spend the night in Dorans?All expenses paid,free beer & ego bloating i'd imagine :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Milkman Dan

Ro: maaan! wrote:
    What? Showcase? Industry? Who gives a ****? I just wanna see the bands. I'd say most of the bands just wanna play to an audience who they wouldn't usually get to play to.

well, i dunno, the audience will be young dublin people who like to see bands and don't mind they're not famous or whatever.
    and, frankly those people will probably go to see band nights in whelans, the lower deck etc, so , its not an audience they wouldn't normally play to.

and showcase - industry etc, while i don't give a ****, most of the bands playing would love to get signed to a decent label.

so, the management of the festival? i don't get you Kingsize?

WELL i was exagerrating a bit but people on the slection panel (i.e. selecting those bands who would appear from hundreds of applications)were either members or managers of band who were selected to appear.I know ollie cole from turn got a lot of grief cos he was a judge & Turn were chosen to play But there was also another judge(name escapes me at the moment)who is a band manager & most of his bands appeared on the line up too.Also for my money's worth given the limited spaces on such an event i dont think the same band should be allowed play 2 years in a row, unless they are Guest performer & are not doing another band out of a possible chance to play. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

i think its a great idea, but no matter what there will always be gripes, i'm looking forward to seeing some good bands, i care not whether they played last year or if they are on the selection panel or even if they have a contract with lucifer himself, so long as they sound good to my oversized ears...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Milkman Dan

i'm not griping, my band didn't enter, we missed the sodding deadline.

looking at the schedule, its all so split up that it could be very difficult to see everyone.

might just perch myself somewhere for a night.
    i wish they'd announce the special guests - rumours abound the killers are playing in the olympia. (their manager is helping run the festival)

ssssssssshhhhh!!!!

;)

that remains to be seen although i do know that the dude who manages the go! team is one of the judges - 'i'd say theres a good chance that they'll make an appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

When is that on anyway?

weekend of August 26th i thinks

lauren i know i was supposed to post you some stuff but my life has been taken over by other CRap at the moment - pm me if your still "innerested"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

i'm not griping, my band didn't enter, we missed the sodding deadline.

looking at the schedule, its all so split up that it could be very difficult to see everyone.

might just perch myself somewhere for a night.
    i wish they'd announce the special guests - rumours abound the killers are playing in the olympia. (their manager is helping run the festival)

ssssssssshhhhh!!!!

;)

if you think the killers are playing hwch - you're nuts mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

surely the people who run it want to make money, to make money they have to get bands that people have heard of or have seen before.

this means that when they hear demos its most likely the bands who are more well known will be more practiced therefore have better demos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 garypope

Does anyone know anyone who's going to HWCH?

Its all talk, but they've sold **** all tickets.

apparently - you can't pay into one gig you have to pay into them all!

its a disaster - **** all are going....

garypope wrote:
    Does anyone know anyone who's going to HWCH?

Its all talk, but they've sold **** all tickets.

apparently - you can't pay into one gig you have to pay into them all!

its a disaster - **** all are going....
    I'm going. It's not that you pay into all of them. You just pay for the ticket, and then you can go to any of the gigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

the band i'm in entered last year and didn't get in. we got a better demo together and got accepted this year.

they lay on consultations with people in the industry which we've signed up for. basically we're using it as an opportunity to find out where and what to improve in and what industry people are looking for.

yeah, it's not a perfect setup regarding the many venues, but I feel the same way about oxegen. while watching 1 act you're missing 4-5 others.

just a stepping stone on the way to...... erm, stardom??? !! :)

Ro: maaan! wrote:
    I'm going. It's not that you pay into all of them. You just pay for the ticket, and then you can go to any of the gigs.

well, its very inconsiderate to the bands not from dublin - if a band from cork want to bring a following imagine the cost? journey - ticket - beers it'd be like going to a massive festival, except its not. its your mates in dorans.

i think it will actually stop people going. its a terrible shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

yeah totally, if you're only interested in supporting your friends 25 euro is a big ask.

makes no sense for a venue either. a guy standing there offering a tenner to get in and you're going to refuse them? 25 for the weekend or 8-10 euro for admission of one venue for the night would make sense to me.

personally I'm finding it difficult to promote our slot because of the 25 euro price tag.

I'll be the first to admit 25 euro for access to all those places and bands for the weekend is a great deal. but trying to get a "regular" person to come along who wouldn't be well up on the music scene is tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭IanluvsKathleen

garypope wrote:
    well, its very inconsiderate to the bands not from dublin - if a band from cork want to bring a following imagine the cost? journey - ticket - beers it'd be like going to a massive festival, except its not. its your mates in dorans.

i think it will actually stop people going. its a terrible shame.

Man were you at this thing last year or are you just expressing some unfounded opinion? Last year was a brilliant weekend and the venues were totally jammed. 25 bills will not exactly break the bank considering most gigs at the moment are costing around 30-40 blips and their are some really amazing bands playing. thats if your anyway into local music. sure even not just stick to the familiar and check out paddy casey in pravda. it would probably cost you the same price to see him play his own particular brand of curl rock on his own.
    the organisers cant charge any less cause they have actually lost money the last two years and its costs a samll fortune to rent out venues for the whole weekend particulary the olympia as well as national advertising including TV. great exposure for loads of good bands.

Well I think that the HWCH festival is cool... 25 squid is a bargain, considering the numbers of acts playing at it.

Looking forward to it *excited*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Lemmys Mole

Yeah it is a bargin, Dead Girls And Boys / The Things / The Mighty Stef etc all on, best ticket in town.

Who let Paddy Casey play though?

Lem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Dead Girls and Boys? ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Lemmys Mole

Yep, www.deadgirslandboys.com, if you wanna see a fun show - check'em out, 8pm TBMC tonight (Fri)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

Don't know most of the acts playing but I'm definitely going to see Mundy and Tadhg Cooke in the Olympia tomorrow (Saturday) night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I'm a bit down on the whole DGAB thing... one of their members was acting like a right childish prick on Gigsmart awhile ago. Didnt leave a very good taste in anybodies mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

I'm a bit down on the whole DGAB thing... one of their members was acting like a right childish prick on Gigsmart awhile ago. Didnt leave a very good taste in anybodies mouth.

ditto.
    but lets play nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭penguincakes

Oh the images :eek:

Anyway here was my line-up for last night:

Sickboy: Spirit

liked em but I couldn't hear a goddamn word. Bass was REALLY loud. Drummer looked a bit manic, but in the good way.

Polar: Spirit

this was really good, the sound was 10x better than the previous act. I might go to the "farewell gig" (farewell to who or what? They ain't splitting up I hopes) in September they were talking bout...

Stars of the City: Olympia

Only saw 1½ songs of this because THE OLYMPIA WAS WAAAY AHEAD which was pretty bad. They were alright from what I heard, nothing special.

Mainline: Olympia

These were pretty cool, 3 guitars and lots of leather. And 4 photographers at one point which was quite amusing :D Would see again.

giveamanakick: The Hub

Only saw these out of pure chance because the Olympia were being barstards, but they were BRILLIANT!! 2 guys, one on drums, one on guitar, going between nicey-nicey twiddly music (ok I'm not good at describing this sorta stuff) & loud heavy bang-your-head stuff :cool:

Defect: The Hub

Bwahaha the only metal band of the festival (as far as I know, though I suppose the above could be counted as one maybe) and there was a grand total of maybe 10 people watching. The sound in the Hub was terrible for this, they sounded like they were in a cardboard box. They were pretty good, worth going to imo (but obviously not in very many others').

Sack: TBMC

I wanted to go to the 66e but when I got to Spirit (with ears ringing) there was about 50 people in the queue so I just said "**** this" (out loud I think, cus some people looked at me) & went back to the TBMC. Sack were alright, they didn't really do anything that piqued my interest too much (that said I was pretty much lying down on a bench at the back of the venue) - I'd seen them before 2 years ago & remembered them to be quite different. That said there was one song that started off with sort-of talking which I would really like to hear again.

Mighty Stef: The Hub

Didn't know what to expect for this, was caught between him & the Rulers of the Planet but I decided on here because there was a chance someone I knew would be there (I didn't find him but oh well). I managed to end up right behind a then-small group of dancing people which was quite entertaining (I let my hair down (literally) & became one of them by the end - well in my own awkward trying-to-stay-in-the-same-spot way). Good set, I liked it anyway, emmm can't really remember what it was like but with 7 (actually 8) bands in a night it was always gonna be that way. I left this gig seriously pissed off cus I thought I'd lost my glasses (if anyone saw me stalking around the place after the gig looking at the floor, that was why) but found them in a pocket I didn't even realise I had on the way to the bus so it was all good :)

My ears are still ringing. Forward to tonight!!

i was all over the place.
    saw polar, were ok, missed delorentos heard they were amazing.
    mighty stef was cool
    mainline was cool
    not a lot of people in some places
    didn't go to dorans

my girl kept calling them pipeline, then mainstreet. haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

paddy casey/mundy/anyone with an acoustic guitar and red hair (glen handstand im talking to you) singin about thier broken heart should be put up against a wall and shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

Polar: Spirit

this was really good, the sound was 10x better than the previous act. I might go to the "farewell gig" (farewell to who or what? They ain't splitting up I hopes) in September they were talking bout...

thanks, we were very angry with the sound/venue

we're moving to london so tis a farewell of sorts...

• Advertisement

Deadwing wrote:
    paddy casey/mundy/anyone with an acoustic guitar and red hair (glen handstand im talking to you) singin about thier broken heart should be put up against a wall and shot.

LOL!!
    Was in Pravda and saw Jamie Lawless. A broken-hearted red hair guy with an acoustic guitar :) He was fairly good actually...
    But yeah I know what ya mean ;)

LOL!!
    Was in Pravda and saw Jamie Lawless. A broken-hearted red hair guy with an acoustic guitar :) He was fairly good actually...
    Lawson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

LOL!!
    I think I saw him too. I enjoyed watching him just because he was using that pedal to record loops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Bex

I saw an ad that said there were over 100 acts at HWCH this year and something like that amount last year. That really is a lot.

Has anybody heard of any band being signed on the back of HWCH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nonemoreblack

Apparently 8 bands either got management, publishing, record or other deals on the back of last year's festival. I wouldn't expect to hear much from this year because unfortunately The Reading Festival was on at the same time so there weren't many record companies in attendance. A great weekend though, and hopefully next year will be even better.

Advertisement