Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Third Round Draw (oooo the excitment!).

• 28-07-2005 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

As I wont be on boards until sometimes mid afternoon tomorrow I thought I'd get this underway now.
    Seeded teams: Kaunas (Lit)/Liverpool (Eng), Manchester United (Eng), Inter Milan (Ita), Panathinaikos (Gre), Artmedia Bratislava (Svk)/Celtic (Sco), Villarreal (Spa), Sporting Lisbon (Por), Monaco (Fra), Ajax (Hol), Club Bruges (Bel), Anderlecht (Bel)/Neftchi (Aze), Rangers (Sco), Dynamo Kiev (Ukr)/Thun (Swi), Werder Bremen (Ger), Rabotnicki (Mac)/Lokomotiv Moscow (Rus), Rosenborg (Nor).

Unseeded teams: Slavia Prague (Cze), Real Betis (Spa), Basle (Swi), Wisla Krakow (Pol), Udinese (Ita), Partizan Belgrade (Ser)/Sheriff (Mol), Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukr), Malmo (Swe)/Maccabi Haifa (Isr), Everton (Eng), Shelbourne (Irl)/Steaua Bucharest (Rom), Dinamo Tbilisi (Geo)/Brondby (Den), Dudelange (Lux)/Rapid Vienna (Aut), Tirana (Alb) v CSKA Sofia (Bul), Debreceni (Hun)/Hajduk Split (Cro), Anorthosis Famagusta (Cyp)/Trabzonspor (Tur), Valerenga (Nor)/Haka (Fin).

Okay who's ready for the Everton-Liverpool tie? ;) I hoping for Shelbourne :)

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'm sure every unseeded team will be hoping to get Artmedia Bratislava. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Damn straight! Their league is only just underway, but they've lost EVERY game so far! Hammering Celtic will be a once off for them. :) Pity! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Actually when are the first ties to be played?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'm sure every unseeded team will be hoping to get Artmedia Bratislava. :)
    You can say that again. If Shels do get through against Steaua then that would be the dream draw I suppose. What a chance to progress to the Group Stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Liverpool Everton. Though it would be hilarious to draw them and beat them I couldn't stand being knocked out by them of all people :(

I think Liverpool would have the quality and significantly the European Experience to take them. As well as the competitive edge having warmed up like they have.

Rather something a little less controversial though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

A Liverpool—Everton tie would not surprise me in the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

It wouldn't surprise me either, but I wouldn't mind though. Derbies are derbies and you can never call them but I think over a two legged tie Rafa could do the the job :) It would be nice to see both teams in the group stages though I s'pose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

teams to avoid for seeded teams are Slavia Prague (Cze), Real Betis (Spa), Udinese (Ita), Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukr)

Had a feeling with the first round that Liverpool would get TNS and think they will get Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Hope Everton Get Inter and a Thumping. Liverpool then get more money when they beat Shels over the two legs.

But who knows, what are the odds on United getting knocked out ? Pre draw odds as it were.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Can Utd draw Everton?

That would be a good one along with Everton-Liverpool

There are some tough teams there for the seeded teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

jank wrote:
    Can Utd draw Everton?

no. country protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

jank wrote:
    Can Utd draw Everton?

That would be a good one along with Everton-Liverpool

There are some tough teams there for the seeded teams.

United can't draw everton as they have country protection, Liverpool do not because they won the Champions League :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Maybe Rangers — Everton? Now, I'd be looking for them both to lose that one! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

Imagine EVERTON.

They get beaten by Liverpool, upset that they get no money, dont get to the group stages, 2nd best team on Mersey, they'd be totally sickened.

They beat Liverpool ~ best team on Merseyside, never hear the end of it ..............

Much rather Shelbourne at Lansdowne..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Shelbourne -v- Artmedia Bratislava

Dream tie. Bratislava are doing poor in their league already (played 2, lost 2), and I'd fancy our chances against them if we could bypass Steaua.

Liverpool/Everton? Meh, couldn't really care, though I would love to see Liverpool and Utd knocked out and Everton make it through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

im really praying for Artmedia Bratislava as well. If we could manage a scoring draw out in romania we have one of the best chances ever of making the group stages of the Champions League.

Realitisically i think its going to be a very difficult team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

Zakrze wrote:
    Imagine EVERTON.

They get beaten by Liverpool, upset that they get no money, dont get to the group stages, 2nd best team on Mersey, they'd be totally sickened.

They beat Liverpool ~ best team on Merseyside, never hear the end of it ..............

Much rather Shelbourne at Lansdowne..........

Reality check...Who finished above liverpool last season...

I would like to see Liverpool V Everton. It would be a class game and add some more spice to a merseyside derbey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

these are the teams to avoid for utd and liverpool - Real Betis (Spa), Basle (Swi), Udinese (Ita), , getting either of these 3 teams would mean a tricky route through, especially betis. an all scouse 3rd round would be unreal, if everton knocked out the holders, it would make for an interesting year on merseyside. chances are good of getting that draw though it would be better to see 5 english teams in the group stages for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

what time is the draw at??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

11am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

conspiracy theories are abound on the internet..

i saw one suggestion werby there will be like a bump on the liverpool ball so when everton are drawn then whoever is grabbing the ball from the seeded pot they can feel around for the liverpool one.

some bookies even suspended betting on everton V liverpool coming out of the pot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i hope all the english teams get through to the group stages, if all the english teams were knocked out the champo league would be sh1te for us, wouldnt be much press coverage at all.

liverpool v everton is a possibility, but your right [dream]if shels got bratislava and snuck an away goal next week, this good be our first season in the group stages!![/dream]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I reckon we'll get the team that appealled against us being seeded in this draw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Is this on TV anywhere?

these are the teams to avoid for utd and liverpool - Real Betis (Spa), Basle (Swi), Udinese (Ita),
    Basle are shíte mate. :)
    PHB wrote:
    Is this on TV anywhere?
    Sky Sports News show all the draws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

But don't forge that Basle have upset Liverpool and Celtic in previous years.

I agree with the person who said Shelbourne V Artmedia Bratislava mainly because of their poor start to the season.

eurosport usually have these draws on aswell

andyman wrote:
    But don't forge that Basle have upset Liverpool and Celtic in previous years.
    They were a decent team when they knocked Celtic and Liverpool out of the CL. Now they're nothing like that team. Hearts beat them last season in Switzerland.

first off its basel bremen . i really hope we get a good draw

• Advertisement

Draw underway.

Basel v Bremen is the first match.
    Artmedia/Celtic v Partizan/Sheriff

Shakhtar v Inter. :eek:

Shels play Rosenburg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF WE MAKE IT THRU

Shels/Stauea v Rosenborg.

Man U get an easy draw.

Everton vs. Villareal

That is ****ing harsh

Liverpool get an easy draw

I don't know the teams United could be playing, does somebody?

Kaunas/Liverpool v Tirana/CSKA Sofia.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    I don't know the teams United could be playing, does somebody?
    We know Hajduk Split very well, Shels knocked them out last year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

FC Basel v Werder Bremen
    Artmedia Bratislava/Celtic v Partizan Belgrade/Sheriff Tiraspol
    Shakhtar Donetsk v Inter Milan
    Shelbourne/Steaua Bucuresti v Rosenborg
    Manchester United v Debrecen/Hajduk Split
    Malmo/Maccabi Haifa v Dynamo Kiev/FC Thun
    Everton v Villarreal
    FBK Kaunas/Liverpool v SK Tirana/CSKA Sofia

So far

Sorry PHB....sorry :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Tbh I would love to see all english teams in the champions league proper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

seansouth wrote:
    We know Hajduk Split very well, Shels knocked them out last year!!
    they are 3-0 down Debrecen are Hungarioan champions

• Advertisement

Why are you sorry?

--

Good games to watch:

FC Basel v Werder Bremen
    Shakhtar Donetsk v Inter Milan
    Everton v Villarreal
    Real Betis v Monaco
    Sporting v Udinese

--

Ya know whats funny.
    Celtic got an easy draw!!
    Either Artmedia or Partizan Belgrade or Sheriff will be in the CL group stages.
    Who the ****?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Well, Everton have gotten one of the toughest draws. I'd say Moyes would almost prefer Liverpool at this stage, but they do have a chance. Man Utd and Liverpool are unlikely to have any difficulty with the teams they have been drawn against.

Because ManYoo drew Hajduk, not The Pool. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Shoul Shels dispose of Steua its Rosenbourg. Now thats very winnable!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

they're some of the most high quality qualifiers i've ever seen! a lot of games you wouldn't be surprised to see in the champs league proper at all!

poor everton, i actually feel sorry for them, after what they achieved last season to get a draw like this. by no means a foregone conclusion but its one of the harder ones they could have gotten.

Nice easy one for pool, champions league here we come..again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Shels play Rosenburg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF WE MAKE IT THRU

Well its not the worst of ties but Rosenborg are a very good team .
    Its as good a draw as you could have expected and there was only 3/4 draws better than it . If Shels are good enough to overcome Steau then id give them every chance against Rosenborg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Poor old everton, hard to see them get through that match, they just dont have the quality.

Man u and the pool should be in the group stages

to be honest, steua are a harder task than rosenburg.

the pool got a nice draw anyway!

everton wont make it through, they have no adaptability to european football and villareal are a handy side. forlan will be back on english soil anyway, that should be a laugh!

Thats just not fair at all. They have the quality to get through, its just arguably one of the worst draws.
    Villareal did the exact same thing as Everton last year, and got the 4th spot by a great great season.
    I'd say they are as pissed off as Everton are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

who do rangers play?

• Advertisement
Advertisement