Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Third Round Draw (oooo the excitment!).

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just aswell Liverpool weren't given the 4th spot instead of Everton. That's a tough draw for the Toffees.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

BaZmO* wrote:
    Just aswell Liverpool weren't given the 4th spot instead of Everton. That's a tough draw for the Toffees.

B.

wouldn't have made a difference, liverpool would have been seeded anyway due to coefficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Rangers draw winners of Anorthosis v Trabzonspor in Champions League third qualifying round.

alright draw for rangers

PHB wrote:
    Thats just not fair at all. They have the quality to get through, its just arguably one of the worst draws.
    Villareal did the exact same thing as Everton last year, and got the 4th spot by a great great season.
    I'd say they are as pissed off as Everton are now.

i just dont think they have it in them PHB, i think this season will be very different from last for everton.

they havnt really added to their squad at all, the 3 big money players they've added arnt much use. i reckon finishing in the top 6 will be a tough task for everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Everton were always going to get a tough draw, look at the seeded teams. Now they can show if last season was a fluke or a sign of things to come.

just took a quick look at the villareal team and in fairness they have some very very handy players. by that point they'l have a midfield with Riquelme and Tacchinardi! With the revitalised Forlan up front. Have Figueroa as well who's ok..Both have massive points to prove in england though which is the main point, having had failed careers at Man U and Birmingham..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

~Rebel~ wrote:
    wouldn't have made a difference, liverpool would have been seeded anyway due to coefficient.

That's true, didn't think about that. :o

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Have to be happy with Sofia/Tirana for the pool and expect to see them in the group stages with United.

Everton got a bit of a bum deal with a tricky tie against Villareal but it could have been Inter. They have a chance its not impossible and I really hope they get into the group stages. I reckon they will just scrape it.

Shelbourne could make the Group stages and that would be fantastic for Irish football but they are really goin to have to have a super game against Steaua. But if they beat them, I reckon they could overturn Rosenburg.

Celtic should really be dreaming of all things money that they would get from the champions league if is wasn't for the shambolic preformance on wed night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PHB wrote:
    Thats just not fair at all. They have the quality to get through, its just arguably one of the worst draws.
    Villareal did the exact same thing as Everton last year, and got the 4th spot by a great great season.
    I'd say they are as pissed off as Everton are now.
    I don't see it that way. Everton are not the 4th best team in England, Villarreal are the 4th best team in Spain atm. Everton won't go through, Villarreal are too good. If I remember correctly, AZ were the first team ever to score against Villarreal at home in Europe, 18 matches in total I think. 18 consecutive clean sheets at home.

Also, Everton at home first will suit Villarreal down to the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Washout wrote:
    some bookies even suspended betting on everton V liverpool coming out of the pot.
    But how could there be odds on the CL draw? The probability of every scenario would be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

does anybody know if the no-country-protection thing will follow liverpool throughout the whole CL? i.e. could they be drawn in the same group as Arsenal/Chelsea/Utd or Everton?

PHB wrote:
    Ya know whats funny.
    Celtic got an easy draw!!
    Either Artmedia or Partizan Belgrade or Sheriff will be in the CL group stages.
    Who the ****?
    What do you mean? Sure Partizan were in the group stages the season before last. In fact they beat Newcastle in the 3rd Qualifying Round that year.

thebhoy wrote:
    does anybody know if the no-country-protection thing will follow liverpool throughout the whole CL? i.e. could they be drawn in the same group as Arsenal/Chelsea/Utd or Everton?

Ya im pretty sure it follows through the whole way, they can be drawn against anyone. I think they are through as representatives of Uefa instead of England and so are without nationality

Its pretty stupid though as it takes away the country protection from whatever english team they're drawn against too who did nothing wrong..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

what'll the seedings be like so for the group stages? i presume liverpool would still be the top seeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Tough draw for Everton, but Villareal are just as much rookies to the CL as they are, so it's a very interesting tie. Pick of the draw I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Liverpool are 5th seed for the group stages, meaning they won't be in the same group as Man United, Milan, Juve, Inter, Real, Barca and someone, I think Bayern

Tough draw for Everton, but Villareal are just as much rookies to the CL as they are
    True, but Villareal have some excellent European experience under their belt via the UEFA Cup over the last few years. best tie of the round for me is Betis vs Monaco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

If we can beat Steaua we can beat Rosenborg who are struggling badly in Norway and are a worse side. IF we get through, this is the best shot at the group stages you could hope for. Aside from Artmedia this is the best draw we could have gotten.

Now the small matter of disposing of Steaua :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Thought I'd put this info. all in one post theres a few definites for the 3rd round but also a few ones very hard to call ....

3rd round Draw plus 2nd round standings / probable 3rd round teams (based on odds)

FC Basel 1893 (SUI) v Werder Bremen (GER)

FC Artmedia Bratislava (SVK) / Celtic FC (SCO) v FK Partizan (SCG) / FC Sheriff (MDA)
    "2nd Round standings from 1st leg: Artmedia 5-0 Celtic/Partizan 1-0 Sheriff"
    "3rd Round probable: Artmedia v Partizan"

FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) v FC Internazionale Milano (ITA)

Shelbourne FC (IRL) / FC Steaua Bucuresti (ROU) v Rosenborg BK (NOR)
    "2nd Round standings from 1st leg:Shelbourne 0-0 Steaua"
    "3rd Round probable: Steaua v Rosenborg"

Manchester United FC (ENG) v Debreceni VSC (HUN) /HNK Hajduk Split (CRO)
    "2nd Round standings from 1st leg -Debrecen 3-0 Hajduk"
    "3rd Round probable: Manchester Utd. v Debreceni"

Malmö FF (SWE) / Maccabi Haifa FC (ISR) v FC Dynamo Kyiv (UKR) / FC Thun (SUI)
    "2nd Round standings from 1st leg:Malmö 3-2 M. Haifa/Dynamo Kyiv 2-2 Thun"
    "3rd Round probable: M. Haifa v Thun"

Everton FC (ENG) v Villarreal CF (ESP)

FBK Kaunas (LTU) / Liverpool FC (ENG, holders) v KF Tirana (ALB) / PFC CSKA Sofia (BUL)
    "2nd Round standings from 1st leg:Kaunas 1-3 Liverpool/Tirana 0-2 CSKA Sofia"
    "3rd Round probable: Liverpool v CSKA Sofia"

Sporting Clube de Portugal (POR) v Udinese Calcio (ITA)

Vålerenga IF (NOR) /FC Haka (FIN) v Club Brugge KV (BEL)

F91 Dudelange (LUX) / SK Rapid Wien (AUT) v FK Rabotnicki (MKD) / FC Lokomotiv Moskva (RUS)
    "2nd Round standings from 1st leg - Dudelange 1-6 Rapid/Rabotnicki 1-1 Lokomotiv Moskva"
    "3rd Round probable: Rapid v Lokomotiv Moskva"

RSC Anderlecht (BEL) / PFC Neftchi (AZE) v SK Slavia Praha (CZE)
    "2nd Round standings from 1st leg:Anderlecht 5-0 Neftchi"
    "3rd Round probable: Anderlecht v SK Slavia Praha"

Anorthosis Famagusta FC (CYP) / Trabzonspor (TUR) v Rangers FC (SCO)
    "2nd Round standings from 1st leg:Anorthosis 3-1 Trabzonspor"
    "3rd Round probable: Anorthosis v Rangers"

FC Dinamo Tbilisi (GEO) / Brøndby IF (DEN) v AFC Ajax (NED)
    "2nd Round standings from 1st leg- Dinamo Tbilisi 0-2 Brøndby"
    "3rd Round probable: Brøndby v Ajax"

Real Betis Balompié (ESP) v AS Monaco FC (FRA)

Wisla Kraków (POL) v Panathinaikos FC (GRE)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Pleased enough with Liverpools draw. Could have been a lot worse at this stage of the competition.

Same goes for United. The Hungarian team are a bit of an unknown, Ive never heard of them!

Poor old Everton, the toughest type of draw they could have got I think. Even if it were someone like Inter they would be mad up for it as they would be definite underdogs. A lot of their players would raise their game for the San Siro. As it is they have a small team doing well similar to themselves, just that Villareal have European experience as well as some technically gifted players. There wont be a lot of hype around the game. Id imagine Villareal to go through, but you nevere know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

LizardKing wrote:
    :D
    I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I have to admit that Everton Really did get the short straw here.
    Of all the teams they could have gotten (including Liverpool) this is by far the worst draw.

Villereal are brilliant going forward and have some really good players.
    Moyes has also not been very lucky in the transfer market this summer. His attempts to strenghten have been scuppered at the last minute when a bigger club makes the same offer. Sissoko would have been a great player for them.

But then again last year we all wrote off Liverpool for the champions league from the first minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I think Everton have a chance...how close was the draw Liverpool & EVerton missing each other by one ball....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

Ken Ramsden (Manchester United Club Secretary)

“It could be either club. We don’t take anything for granted but it’s a real step into the unknown - there’s so much uncertainty. Debrecen have told us if they got a big team they would move the game to Budapest. It would be a big stage and a big pitch - but we will play where we are sent. We really wanted Shelbourne but that was unlikely.

And I'd say that Ollie really wanted United :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

seansouth wrote:
    :D
    I love it.

ye have to admit Steau will be favourites @ home but I'll certainly be hoping for an upset ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

favourites, hmm, Like the way Steau said the tie would be all over after 90 minutes in dublin :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Originally Posted by LizardKing

3rd Round probable my ass :mad:

Shelbourne FC 1895 Vs Rosenborg in decline FC ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Well shels were at home and were dominated by the away team, not something that fills people with confidence.

SteM wrote:
    Ken Ramsden (Manchester United Club Secretary)

“It could be either club. We don’t take anything for granted but it’s a real step into the unknown - there’s so much uncertainty. Debrecen have told us if they got a big team they would move the game to Budapest. It would be a big stage and a big pitch - but we will play where we are sent. We really wanted Shelbourne but that was unlikely.

And I'd say that Ollie really wanted United :)

Not at this stage, if we can beat Steaua we can beat Rosenborg and that's worth more than any one off game v Man U.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

Slash/ED wrote:
    Not at this stage, if we can beat Steaua we can beat Rosenborg and that's worth more than any one off game v Man U.

You didn't notice the smiley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

LizardKing wrote:
    Anorthosis Famagusta FC (CYP) / Trabzonspor (TUR) v Rangers FC (SCO)
    "2nd Round standings from 1st leg:Anorthosis 3-1 Trabzonspor"
    "3rd Round probable: Anorthosis v Rangers"
    Trabzon should turn that defecit around. They're a decent side and got a player sent off in the 1st leg. Rangers won't beat Trabzon if they do get meet them. :)

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    Rangers won't beat Trabzon if they do get meet them. :)
    Hopefully, eirebhoy, hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

eirebhoy wrote:
    Rangers won't beat Trabzon if they do get meet them. :)
    You probably thought Celtic wouldn't use to Artmedia either. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

eirebhoy wrote:
    Trabzon should turn that defecit around. They're a decent side and got a player sent off in the 1st leg. Rangers won't beat Trabzon if they do get meet them. :)

I was very suprised to here they were actually behind in the tie . If they get through I would certainly fancy them to beat Rangers..........possibly very comfortably .

eirebhoy wrote:

I agree about Rangers, but that tie is like a massive derby, anything could happen. Rangers would see off Anorthosis.

everton were beaten 5-0 by fenerbache is pre season.. and lee carsley fecked up his knee and is a major doubt for the qualifier. they're gonna be destroyed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Better Everton getting Villareal then United.

Not saying we can't beat them, but just imagine what Forlan would do to us if we did get them!!!

VinnyL wrote:
    everton were beaten 5-0 by fenerbache is pre season.. and lee carsley fecked up his knee and is a major doubt for the qualifier. they're gonna be destroyed
    Played in the Ataturk Stadium too.

Advertisement