Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband equipment suggestions

• 28-07-2005 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

My father and myself have both go broadband recently, but did not get any routers from the supplier, and are sick of waiting. We have decided to get our own and I am looking for recommendations on what types to get.

I have only one PC, and will be playing games, so was thinking along the lines of just using a cable setup, and my father has a PC and laptop and wants to go wireless
    My father go a "US robotics wireless turbo access point and router model 8054" does he need an adsl modem too, or is this enough?

Also, because i am thinking of going down the cable lines of things,
    Is using USB faster than the ethernet way or is it the other way round?

Thanks for your help in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Im not sure about the rest but ethernet is definatly faster then USB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

USB speeds 1.5, 12, 480 Mbps

Wired Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps

Wireless Ethernet 11/54/108 Mbs

so no ethernet isnt necessarily faster - although it probably is the optimum network solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

USB speeds 1.5, 12, 480 Mbps

Wired Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps

Wireless Ethernet 11/54/108 Mbs

so no ethernet isnt necessarily faster - although it probably is the optimum network solution.

If you have an available Ethernet port, I can not think of any circumstance in which you would choose USB over Ethernet.

Garfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

Netgear have a configurator on their site

http://www.netgear.ie/home_product_configurator.php

It lets you figure out what equipment is necessary for the type of PC/Laptop/Gaming consoles you have.

Advertisement