Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Another IBB thread but need advice....

• 28-07-2005 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

Right here is the story Went to the complaint thing through ibb then went to Comreg, Comreg Got onto IBB and Order and Response to me about my service here is the Email i Recieve: Dunno What to make of it, Bare in Mind i dont think i have seen over 1mb in my download connect in months apart from burst but my upload speed are between 1.5 and 700.

Mr. Desmond

Please find below the graphs for your connection. I think that this will illustrate what we are seeing from our side.

You reach his maximum throughput capacity set on the radio regularly. Your connection is a 2Mb pipe operating at half duplex meaning that is your upload and download total capacity at any one point in time. If he are uploading at 1Mb, it leaves 1Mb for download. If you download at 2Mb, you have no upload capacity. 2Mb is the total capacity available for download and upload combined.

Your utilisation graphs also show:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4e.jpg

5.jpg

If you have any additional queries in relation to this complaint please let me know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Is thier service not advertised as 2meg up AND 2 men down?? If not then that radio ad about traffic on both sides of the road has to go..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

This is going to be my reply: If we are connected at half duplex, then why is it that our upload tests come out at a different speed that our download tests? And where in the T&C's does it say that we are using a half duplex pipe? It says we have 2mbit up and 2mbit down. Says nothing about combined bandwidth.

You fogot to add "please come & collect your modem from my wheelie Bin" LOL

Na i will say you can bid for your Stuff on Ebay..............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Your connection is a 2Mb pipe operating at half duplex meaning that is your upload and download total capacity at any one point in time.

To deconstruct.

1. "half duplex" Technically impossible it has to be full duplex.

2. "upload and download total capacity" but to download 1.5Mb you send about 500k in Acknowledgement 'overhead' . Therefore the capacity can never reach the advertised 2Mbits and is throttled to 1.5Mbit or so, maybe 1.6Mbit .

3. If this "half duplex" 2 mbit,as incorrectly asserted by IBB means 2mbit "total capacity" then the service is in reality a 1.5Mbit asymmetric prioritisation system as the remainder of the bandwidth is always used for overhead and for acknowledgements of data from that 1.5Mbit stream etc etc .

4. It cannot be a 2mb down AND 2Mbit up system , it cannot even be a 2mbit system because the effective data delivery capacity is 1.5/1.6Mbit

IBB website Lie

"Breeze 1Mb is a superior DSL product in that it does not utilise the phone line - it provides fast uploads as well as downloads and is quick to install. "

Should Read

"Breeze 1Mb is a superior DSL product in that it does not utilise the phone line - it provides fast uploads or downloads but not simultaneously and is quick to install once we show up. "

5. Contract this to Smart who put the overhead outside the pipe, They deliver 2mbit but the port is 2.4mbit or so and the overhead is outside the advertised data stream .

The uplink is a separate 128k

Finally there is no excuse offered for the famous IBB packet loss problem which seriously degrades the performance.and never mind the thruput metrics which count the consequence of this packat loss as traffic .

If I had a genuine 1Mbit pipe BUT with 10% packet loss it would efffectively be a 0.1Mbit pipe beacuse of all the Nacks and Resends of corrupt data and the big lag while one missing packet was asked for 2 or 3 times before it came in.

At 20% packet loss it is unusable by any standard

Ask Comreg what has been done about the continual packet loss suffered by IBB users ,

As so much of the data going thru is NACK packets and RESEND requests the 2Mbit pipe is effectively 0.2Mbit and THAT is then Contended 24:1 giving the user about .05 Mbit or 50k..........like a modem what what :(

HTH

• Advertisement

That was nice and long :p.

So what do people think about that, This is a Complaint Case via Comreg, and they are lyin.

well if you complained solely about effective thruput (crap) and did not ALSO mention the packet loss issue then you cannot argue that the packet loss is half the traffic or more , this traffic being IBBs defense, and that your speed would jump A LOT if they dealt with that packet loss only.

Your speed would jump a lot and those stats up top would drop a lot too :)

I dont have any packet loss its only my speed is the problem, I have been downloading a torrent for the past week about 5-6gb so thats where those stats are taken from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

I'm sure the speel they gave would be bought by comreg because, well, what do they know anyways. But bobs right. It's not a true 2 meg connection if they are stating overhead as part of the overall throughput. More like a 1.5mb, plus drops etc. And overcontended TO THE MAX (they should make a tv ad with that, bet they'd sell even more connections to the n00bs)

The drops because of contention with a lack of some sort of real IP QoS system are what kill me. Even trying to view this page I had to refresh five or six times. It's nuts. Debating whipping out the phone cable and dialing up ffs.

All together now...

Overcontended TO THE MAXXXXXXXXXX

Right i actually do have packet loss but never checked and complained about it.I will see what she says about what i said back to her.

• Advertisement

ah OK , leave that to the packet loss victims so of whom they are many .

you may have the wrong packet size leading to fragmentation or else path discovery could be problematic , I wont explain :)

At this stage its falling deeper & deeper into the hands of ASAI

Asai?

Sorry the Advertising Standards Authority

Should i get onto them tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

And whats that rubbish about Eircom monthly caps. Are they trying to compare their high end 50€/mo package to Eircoms cheepo option?

Dump it and be done with it my kimosabe. Wise man say business man listen not with his ears but his pockets...

Thats the thing i tryin to do too get out of the contract............... The Problem is Paying another connection fee. Money i dont have..

I think so . Thier product is marketed as 2meg up / 2meg down frome what they are saying here its only 1meg up/down (although most don't even come near those speeds) looks like false advertising to me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Hi powerhousedan,

You say your are with ibb/IBB...

but the daily throughput graphs you have attached say "EIRCOM MONTHLY DOWNLOAD/UPLOAD CAP"

Seems a bit strange. Are they buying bandwidth from eircom?

YEah i'm with Irish Broadband.

With Regards to the Eircom thing i have no idea was wondering myself must ask her.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

how can i get these grapths from irishbroadband to prove my bad connection case ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

it looks like this mention of eircom on the graphs may be for comparison purposes of of comparing caps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

gordonnet wrote:
    it looks like this mention of eircom on the graphs may be for comparison purposes of of comparing caps?

It's a "You should count yourself lucky" concept

Gord what mast are you on? I am Sure you Can request them i dont see how they can deny you, I got them because they are replying to me from a complaint from comreg on my behalf in which Ibb was to contact me directly.
    gordonnet wrote:
    how can i get these grapths from irishbroadband to prove my bad connection case ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Can anyone tell me a Commerical Advert in Which Irish Broadband are advertising there Product i got onto the Advertising Standards Authority and they said that i need to state What Commerical advertising i am saying is False before they can take action?

Advertisement