Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do?

Options
  • 28-07-2005 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭

Ok I'm trying to decide wether or not to get grinds for my leaving cert. I'm doing everything higher level exept Irish which I'm bad at and i also have to work very hard at Maths.
    I don't know wether to just work my butt off in 6th year or work my butt off with the help of grinds.
    One more thing, if i decide to get grinds is it better to go to a grind school or get one to one grinds. :confused: I know some people that can help me out with the odd lesson on top of grinds but it'd b a favour so I wouldn't want to take advantage too much..

Oh my god......getting stressed. :eek:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jacqui x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

First of all, chill out! Us guys who have just sat our leaving should be the ones panicking with our results coming up very soon.

I`d recomend getting grinds in only the subjects you`re struggling in and if you can try and get one on one girnds.

Have a good summer, enjoy it too the full.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ooly

i plan on getting grinds in the subjects i have trouble with, i'd get one to one grinds, less distractions :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

I say the one-to-one is better, it is easier to concentrate on what you not understand and not on what everyone not understand. I think grinds can be good, but only get them if you really need them. If you not want to much pressure look at the classes given in the local vocational schools, the language ones for conversation can be really good, when I learnt Irish I found them a lot better then grinds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

you have no reason to be worried if you realise that you need to put in work now. the people who end up stressed are those who by the last quarter of the year realise that they didnt work.
    i dont think that grind are really all that necassary, maybe in maths tho but you have a full school yr ahead of you to learn the stuff so maybe see how you get on at x-mas exams and then decide

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

are grinds necessary? i never got one and i was grand even in sub i was behind in, I really think you can do just a good a job on your own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

I think grinds only nessecary if you really behind or need big points, Also maybe it really depends how many subject you need help in? If you need help in one subject you catch up, if it six subjects it must be much harder.

I got grinds in Irish, but i needed that! I was about to go into fifth year and I never do irish! Maybe it depend on what hard? If it that you behind you just study? if you don't understand then you need explaination?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

u need grinds in higher maths if u have a less than good teacher.. i had to get grinds cause my teacher was terrible

everybody in the class was gettin grinds.. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭jacksie

jesus get grinds ffs if its the last thing u do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

i cant argue with that statement more jacksie, i found most people who got grinds were just too lazy to sit down and do an hours solid study at the subject they took grinds in

personally i think that grinds are only of use to people going for law/medicine who have to get in the high 500's and cant afford to let anything slip whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

only of use to law/medicine?

what about people like me who need to do higher maths for their college course and need an honor in it..?

then, grinds are every bit as important

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

a c3 in honours maths is seriously doable for matriculation

i also think that if your grinds teacher is just pandering to the exam system and teaching you what will come up to scrape you an honour you WILL be found out at maths in collage where you wont get marked so lightly with attempt marks or what nots and will seriously struggle....or at least i have seen this happen

Advertisement