Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best DVD Palyer for Divx Xvid etc

Options
  • 28-07-2005 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

There are loads of dvd players around at the moment that appear to play the mpeg4 formats. basically i am just wondering what you learned folk reckon is the best value for money and the most compatible with the various formats. the videos i get from my cousins! tend to be in both xvid and divx and id like something that will play most as id like to be able to watch these files on my main tv, away from the PC. I will spend in or around €100 for a player, maybe more if its really worth it, im not too worried about surround sound decoding although a digital coax connecion would be an added bonus to hook into the existing surround sound system. also multiregion would be an advantage, or at least software hackable. i know there are loads of online reviews for these things but im looking for your valued opinions! and any links or best place to buy etc. thanks in advance

rgds

TL

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I bought a Philips 5100. Seems to play everything I have. Only issue I have is that it only shows shot filenames. Also I had a small 21" TV resting on it and it didn't like that. Wouldn't eject disks easily. I've taken the TV off and its working ok again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

Kiss Dp 1500 is about 100 euro inc postage been using it for a couple of years (cost 290 then :( ) no probs and good bios updates on the site, hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I have the Phillips 5100 as well, cos me 90 euro and it's brilliant, plays every DIVX i've thrown at it.
    Sony have one out now at around the 100 euro mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

thanks for the feedback peeps, ill prob go for one of the philips machines as the form factor of the kiss machine just wont fit in with the rest of my equipment.

rgds

TL

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Kiss Dp 1500 is about 100 euro inc postage been using it for a couple of years (cost 290 then :( ) no probs and good bios updates on the site, hope this helps.

Hmm I was looking at this, I'm trying to find a good network DVD player as I can't be bothered burning DivX or Xvid files to DVDs everytime I want to play one on the TV. I was wondering since you actually have it could you answer some questions irish?

Some reviews of this said that the machine would just lock up sometimes and stop playing, is that true? Or has it been fixed with some newer updates? What's the actually quality like on the TV, do high action scence come across well when playin an Xvid or DivX file?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I have a Kiss DP 1000 (i think thats the code, their first divx player 2 years old now) and I would not get Kiss again as a result, good to see others have better experience with the DP1500. I bought the Philips model mentioned above 3 times for wedding presents/moving in presents etc all the lads say they play everything quite well.
    I also got a Targa DVD Divx /VCR combo in Lidl and its a very good player.
    however the best one i have is one I got on ebay a non branded one, has a removeable hard disk (not supplied) but its a great player xvid, divx etc, loads up a preview window as you scroll through your dovx movies. Cost me 250 euro inc postage, hard drive was another 110 ( put a 200 G into it) pixmania have em with and 80 G hd. for about 380
    it is a PVR 1001X ( the one with the stero tuner)
    please note that I have yet to master recording from the TV (tried once and it was jumpy) essentially I used it to hold and watch Divx movies but it is also a 5.1 amp and has alot of I/O in it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Just spotted a Packard Bell 350 DVD player with DivX , progressive scan output and built in 5.1 decoder for £32.5 stg ex VAT from CPC, www.cpc.co.uk they have a dublin office at 4073092 if anyone's interested

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

This is the best player at the moment I just got it turely amazing

http://www.inside.nl/php/netcinema.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

i saw that snazio before but more functions than i currently need. I bought the Philips DVP5100 for €89.99 from powercity (only place i could find it and cheaper than online) and it has played everything i have thrown at it from stuff encoded years ago to the most recent divx and xvid encodes, it was also extremely easy to multiregion via the remote and once again has played every region i have thrown at it effortlessly. also has component output and a digital coax connection so good value all round :D

Advertisement