Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband speed test - unusually normal

• 29-07-2005 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,219 ✭✭✭✭

I hope I'm not ploughing over old ground here but does anyone know if the test at www.irishisptest.com is accurate at all.

BT tech. support reccommended this site and what I've noticed is that my download speed is the same whenever I test it - 860 kbps. It doesn't matter whether it's day or night it still clocks the same download speed.

The uploads do vary a wee bit though - 37-75 max

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Normally spot on... Are you on a 1 or 2 meg service..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,219 ✭✭✭✭muffler

On the 1 meg but I still find it very coincidental. I,m a bit of a novice (still) with the technical aspects but I would have thought that the time of day/amount of users would make a difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Not really try a different test to a different testing site ie further away , irish one only shows how fast your pc is to really close servers.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

KdjaC wrote:
    Not really try a different test to a different testing site ie further away , irish one only shows how fast your pc is to really close servers.

kdjac

It's not showing how fast the connection is to "really close servers"

It's giving you the exact speed to _THAT_ server (that server = the server irishisptest.com sits on)

What it will give you is fairly decent indication to roughly what your download speed will be to other server's in ireland.

I did a google search and got a couple of american sites and the speeds were way down.
    Antthing you can recommend in Ireland

• Advertisement

muffler wrote:
    I did a google search and got a couple of american sites and the speeds were way down.

Which makes sense.

if you just want it for ireland

log into an ftp site like ftp.heanet.ie or ftp.esat.net and start a download of an ISO.

irishisptest.com is fine I don't see why you won't use that.

ntlbell wrote:
    irishisptest.com is fine I don't see why you won't use that.

Its not a case of not wanting to use it. As the thread opener suggests I was a bit surprised that the speeds were always the same.

But as I said I am not into the technical aspects of download speeds so perhaps this is quite normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

muffler wrote:
    I don't know of any other Irish ones, but there's a few based in the UK, like ADSLguide. Google should help you find more.

Could the irishisptest be cached?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

try this one
    http://www.giganews.com/test_connect.html

usually very accurate

and 860 is normal for 1 meg, 107.5kB.s

CyberGhost wrote:
    try this one
    http://www.giganews.com/test_connect.html

usually very accurate

and 860 is normal for 1 meg, 107.5kB.s

Thanks. I tried this and there were 2 servers and the results were 860 and 871.

This is the same as the irishisptest server so I am relieved

• Advertisement

http://www.intel.com/personal/computing/emea/eng/do_more/broadband/speed_test.htm

If you whan to see the speed changing try this one.. But I doubt its accurate...

Tried giganews.com ....just comfirms irishiptest results.. 1750kps

beller b wrote:
    http://www.intel.com/personal/computing/emea/eng/do_more/broadband/speed_test.htm

If you whan to see the speed changing try this one.. But I doubt its accurate...

It changed alright. 375mbps

The highest I've got on that test is 680 (on 2meg) I prusume your 375 was meant to be kbps!!! LOL

beller b wrote:
    I prusume your 375 was meant to be kbps!!! LOL

If only! a slip of the keyboard key here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

muffler wrote:
    does anyone know if the test at www.irishisptest.com is accurate at all.
    It's way off for me anyway. It gives me 1.72 Mbps. My actual speed is 0.9-1.1 Mbps. It's over-estimating the dl speed by around 70% in my case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Could the irishisptest be cached?

No. It isn't cached or caching

Goldstein wrote:
    It's way off for me anyway. It gives me 1.72 Mbps. My actual speed is 0.9-1.1 Mbps. It's over-estimating the dl speed by around 70% in my case.

If you're on ibb it's not unusuall to see bursts like that.

as stated before it's not giving you your speed.

it's giving you throughput to that EXACT server no more no less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

For fear of stating the obvious, if anyone is actually achieving the download speed as advertised by their provider they should get it sorted pronto. I've heard of a company going by the name IBB which is good for this sort of thing. Word is that they have tolls on their routers and each binary digit/bit needs to cough up €1.80 to pass through. QoS bits get to use the Eazypass lane.

Advertisement