Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless router strength

• 29-07-2005 12:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

I just set up the two machines in my house with wireless network cards. Have them connecting to my wireless router I just got off eircom. Two the same cards (Belkin) and they are pretty decent quality, nothing shabby like. The machine I have in the sittingroom is about 5 feet away from the router and is getting a perfect 100% signal strength whereas this machine is about 15-20 feet away.
    It's well in the recommended range (although there is 2 doors between the router and the PC) but im only getting 66% signal strength. Nothing that would interrupt the signal is in the way so is there an option I can tweak or something like that to get a better signal strength or is 66% good enough?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Unless you're copying files between machines you shouldn't worry about it. Even if you were on the fastest broadband service (2MB?) the throughput of your 802.11g LAN will outstrip (27Mbps tx and rx = 54Mbps) will far out-strip it. Don't worry about it. FWIW, I've had bad experiences with Belkin wireless (router) and am currently trying to help someone out with their Belkind wireless adapter. The thing to look for is 'Speed' and not so much signal strength (although the two are probably related).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I find the routers quite good..

I'm using the 3347W-EIR I have 4 different machines with 3 different WI-Fi Cards and have found that the card does make the difference.
    The router is located in an upstairs front room of the house.

The 3com one I have doesnt display signal strength but generally drops off at around 50 foot.

I have 2 brand X one of them gets about 50% in the room directly under the router.

Heres the surprise tho.
    I have one of the G wireless USB Netopia ones from Eircom themselves. This by far gives the best signal and I can get 70% strength down in the garage at the end of the garden through 3 block walls. (Direct distance is about 100 foot)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Yeh I hadnt tested out the download speeds but now that I have they are grand. Only thing is that when the connection goes below 50% it will drop...kind of odd but is that expected?

Advertisement