Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accelerator

Options
  • 24-03-1999 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Is it worth hanging on for the TNT2 or should I just get a Voodoo2 ot TNT, 'cos the cashflow is sort of at a minimum now!
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Helv

Hard enough to say, really depends on your comp and if ure upgrading. tnt adoptha agp 2x bus but tnt2 will have a 4x bus but it will not benefit from the current intel chipset. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong pls but with limited cash it'd probably go for th e tnt

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Toms hardware had an interesting TNT2 Vs Voodoo2 article. TNT2 looks scary. It seems to beat Voodoo2 on Intel based machines. And that's one less card than a Voodoo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

nnnggh ignore next post, i was looking at an older article..

btw tomshardware is sometimes quite biased..
    "2D-performance of a card may be a great as it wants, it doesn't have the slightest impact on real world computing"

If you ever use software rendering in any game (quake, for eg.), you are not using the 3d capabilities of your system at all, you are relying only on the CPU, and the 2D gfx card.. so what is "real world computing" then?

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 24-03-99).]

you should be comparing the tnt2 to the voodoo3, cos both of them havent been released yet.
    no point in comparing something thats already on the market to something thats promised.
    toms hardware is doing it not to downplay voodoo2 SLI, but to give a 'benchmark' for tnt2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Fiend

Errr Sam,
    when you are using software rendering in ancient games like quake which hardly anyone plays these days (can't resist =)..), the performance of the modern graphics card doesn't really matter. The graphics card only displays the images on the monitor, all the complex number crunching are done on the cpu and that is why you get a faster frame rate on a faster cpu etc

Yes, and read the tnt2 vs voodoo3 review in www.tomshardware.com and www.sharkyextreme.com, basically everyone is predicting tnt2 will kick voodoo3's butt and they have benchmarks to back it up.

• Advertisement

agp only gets used if you do not have enough texture memory on your gfx card.
    basically it is a marketing load of sh!te(and it wastes CPU time), i'd go for the PCI version, so you can buy another later on and have an SLI system.

Glows (rockets, etc.) use your gfx card , not your cpu. Most framerate slowdowns are due to glows.
    About the tnt2 vs voodoo3, i know, read the first post i made smile.gif

pah hardware rendering, my super-cool 2 and a half yr old gfx card gives me 1.5 FPS in GLquake =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Helv

Nobody has yet answered the question in hand. Oi be reconing the riva tnt at 99 squid in game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement