Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking problems

• 29-07-2005 9:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I've had the Netopia Cayman 3341 for about 8 months without any trouble at all.

I just bought a 3Com OC Wireless Gateway kit from Komplett, which includes a Wireless Router and a USB Wireless Adapter.

Leaving the USB Adapter aside, I can't get the Cayman Modem and 3Com Router to work together.

Originally, I could get internet access back easily by simply resetting my old arrangement, but now I can't get internet access at all.

Has anyone any ideas? Anyone successfully used the two together?

Comments

Not being cheeky but have you read the manual for sample setups etc? Your devices are both routers which is probablt why you are having a problem.

Also you have two choices:

1: Connect the Cayman to a normal lan port on the 3Com and forget about any routing on the 3Com...

2: Use the two of them as routers - this would be trickier. EG my setup is like this: (This will involve you connecting the cayman to the wan port on the 3com)
    <Internet>-----<DSL Modem/Router>-----<Wireless Router>-----<Home Lan>
                          192.168.1.1/24               192.168.4.1/24
                          (Static Prvate IP)            (Static Private)
                                                              (Wan port gets dynamic ip)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Third option (and best, IMO) - configure the Cayman in bridge mode. Basically this makes it act as a DSL modem only, so your ISP-assigned public IP address is given to the WAN port of the 3Com.

Advertisement