Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

digital slr recommendations

Options
  • 29-07-2005 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi All, I'm heading off into the great wide yonder for a few months after Christmas and as I'm going to be passing through some pretty stunning areas i.e. New Zealand etc, I'm thinking I'll be needing a camera to do it justice. Thing is I know next to f*ck all about cameras, especially digital, so I have come here to ask the wise and experienced members of boards.ie for advice ;) . I want to really keep the budget as low as possible, anything above 500 is starting to really stretch it (like I want to take class pics of places, but I also want to be able to eat when I'm there :D ). So looking for something that will give good quality, fast shutter speed would be good for action pics, any video capture feature would also be good. I'm also wondering if there would be a big price difference between here and the states as my brother lives there and will be home at Christmas so that's one possible way of cutting costs, another would be picking one up in duty free in L.A when I pass through there, only a 2 hour window between flights there though so that would be more than tight, would maybe have enough time to buy and stick in my bag so would really need to know what I wanted first. Anyway, longer than I intended so apologies for rambling, any ideas on what to look for, good sites for research etc, price differences between here and elsewhere much appreciated.

Cheers

Damo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

I'm heading to NYC in Dec and I'm gonna pick up a Canon EOS 20D digital SLR. Waaaaay over your budget but point is, get your bro to buy a camera from the following store in New York, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ or somewhere else in US and have it shipped to his place. It'll save you a few hundred euro :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I would recommend a Fuji S7000 which is what i have. Its a semi SLR with a shutter speed of 1/10,000 of a second to 15 secs. It produces 6megapixel images but can also shoot 12megapixel shots through Fuji's manipulation of the CCD sensor.

It produces great shots and has most of the functions of an SLR, yet allows you to also take straight forward auto shots.

Currently retailing for €500 bucks in Conns cameras, but i know that Dixons have it on special sometimes for around the €400 mark.

Advertisement