Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N Roses

Options
  • 29-07-2005 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Guns N Roses is one of those bands whose songs simply cannot be remade. Their style cannot be reproduce. They(Guns n Roses)on the other hand can make virtually any song better. The Spaghetti Incident is evidence of this statement. I agree with one of the people here that said Axl Rose and Slash are one of the best duos of all time. I believe Mr Rose's raw musical talent has been overlooked because of shallow people's petty interest in his personal life and his troubled ways. Slash is simply the most soulful musician I have ever heard with maybe the exception of Ludwig Van Beethoven. I have studied and am trained in classical music and have studied the great composers in music history(Beethoven,Mozart,Chopin,etc..) therefore I can appreciate the exceptional musical talent and deep emotion these two individuals put into their music, especially Mr. Rose.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I think the Spaghetti Incident is one of the worst albums I have ever heard, whose only redeeming feature was the relief felt when it was turned off. Personally, I would've said that Izzy Stradlin was the real soul of that band, evidenced by their descent into rock cabaret after his departure. Slash is a decent guitarist for sure but I think a lot of his hype is due to the impact his more blues based style of playing had at the height of the late 80's where technical ability at the expense of taste was quite in vogue. Certainly I wouldn't rate him as one of the best or most soulful guitarists ever, let alone compare him to a great composer. He is an iconic figure for sure but is in no way comparable IMO to any of the true genii mentioned, he just doesn't have too much competition in this day and age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

They were amazing up until the early nineties. Now they're a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭confetti

amazing up until the early 90's and now theyre a joke??

what kind of twat are you, they havent released an album of original material since 1991, and you say they were amazing then??

so by releasing nothing they have become a joke in your books,

fact: guns n' roses are untouchable

Doctor J wrote:
    I think the Spaghetti Incident is one of the worst albums I have ever heard, QUOTE]

well its a good thing they didnt release that album to gain respect or impress, they covered songs that weren't known but were songs that influenced them growing up, they did it for themselves as a tribute,

read the inlay card on the album, gnr even say themselves to do yourselves a favour and go buy the originals

and oh yeah, theres some great songs on TSI, like down on the farm, attitute, black leather,new rose, hair of the dog, f.uck it the whole album is great,
    most people dont like it because it says Guns N' Roses on the cover and it dont sound like gnr originals, fair enough for some,

its also the kind of album that these people who are into music that isnt popular just because it isnt popular (you know who you are) should like but they dont because it says Guns N' Roses o the cover,

Basically its an underrated album caught in the middle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

Pulling out of shows at the last minute is a joke. Everyone but a diehard fan will admit that.

• Advertisement

Actually, I knew quite a few of the originals, thanks. I commented on the album on the merits of the music, rather than the motive behind it or whatever was written in the inlay. I didn't enjoy it. I thought it was weak by a band who had run out of steam IMO.

Geiger wrote:
    Pulling out of shows at the last minute is a joke. Everyone but a diehard fan will admit that.

yeah that happened every night,

what it is is disapointing, who laughed?

Doctor J wrote:
    Actually, I knew quite a few of the originals, thanks. I commented on the album on the merits of the music, rather than the motive behind it or whatever was written in the inlay. I didn't enjoy it. I thought it was weak by a band who had run out of steam IMO.

what i was defending was the fact that people judge guns on an album that was never meant to contain number ones and they label it a flop or shi...te,

yeah your opinion is your own and its true for you so thats fair enough,

those songs are good IMO and played well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Top band!
    I thought the spaghetti incident was dire.
    Slane 1992 was freaking excellent.

Doctor J wrote:

P.s are you Julius Erving or is it coincidence

• Advertisement

No, I'm his nephew.

Doctor J wrote:
    No, I'm his nephew.

cool, you must be good with balls then

confetti wrote:
    most people dont like it because it says Guns N' Roses on the cover and it dont sound like gnr originals

I think that's a fairly ridiculous generalisation tbh. How the hell do you know what "most people" think? You don't think people have the strength of mind to evaluate the merits of a recording based on the music alone? Are you really that arrogant?
    confetti wrote:
    what i was defending was the fact that people judge guns on an album that was never meant to contain number ones and they label it a flop or shi...te,

I don't recall any GnR album which was meant to be chock full of number ones? I thought they were a rock n roll band? That album was recorded at a time when they were running on empty, the band was falling apart, they were largely wiped out on drugs and it shows in those flat recordings. Besides, where has anyone suggested that because it wasn't meant to contain "the hits" that it was a flop? If it was meant to be a hits package, they would've chosen more commercially viable songs, no?

Let me clarify:
    Based only on the sounds which come from the speakers, I view that album as fairly weak. I thought the same when it came out originally. I would say the same of about half of the Use Your Illusion albums, there was the potential for an unbelivably good rock album there but when it came out it was half great, half bloated self indulgence. The Spaghetti Incident sounds, to me, based on the music contained therein, tired and uninspired. By anyone's standards, let alone GnR's, it isn't a great record at all.
    confetti wrote:
    cool, you must be good with balls then

Cool, you must be, what, 15? :rolleyes:

confetti wrote:
    yeah that happened every night,

what it is is disapointing, who laughed?

Not laughable, but ludicrous. Dictionary.com is both fast and free.

http://www.drownedinsound.com/articles/5608.html

It didn't have to happen every night man, they just cancelled it all in one fell swoop.

Doctor J wrote:
    I think that's a fairly ridiculous generalisation tbh. How the hell do you know what "most people" think? You don't think people have the strength of mind to evaluate the merits of a recording based on the music alone? Are you really that arrogant?

I don't recall any GnR album which was meant to be chock full of number ones? I thought they were a rock n roll band? That album was recorded at a time when they were running on empty, the band was falling apart, they were largely wiped out on drugs and it shows in those flat recordings. Besides, where has anyone suggested that because it wasn't meant to contain "the hits" that it was a flop? If it was meant to be a hits package, they would've chosen more commercially viable songs, no?

Let me clarify:
    Based only on the sounds which come from the speakers, I view that album as fairly weak. I thought the same when it came out originally. I would say the same of about half of the Use Your Illusion albums, there was the potential for an unbelivably good rock album there but when it came out it was half great, half bloated self indulgence. The Spaghetti Incident sounds, to me, based on the music contained therein, tired and uninspired. By anyone's standards, let alone GnR's, it isn't a great record at all.

Cool, you must be, what, 15? :rolleyes:

Firstly, it doesnt take a genius to know that the majority of people bought TSI based on their liking of prvious gnr albums, which were original material,

the spaghetti incident? contains cover versions which are nothing like gnr originals nor were meant to be....

not everyone has the same musical taste as gnr so a lot of peole did not like it....even though they liked the gnr original music,

therefore im not being arogant, its pretty obvious.
    guns n roses albums (original material) was their music, i did not say that they intended to get number ones,
    what i said was TSI never intended to get number ones ,
    IF GNR HAD RELEASED ORIGINAL MUSIC, THEY WOULD HAVE GOT A NUMBER ONE ALBUM AND MOST LIKELY SUCCESFUL SINGLES, im not being arogant and i dont think i know it all in saying this but i do know the talent of gnr and the success they were riding would have guaranteed this..

so, what i am saying was that they never expected TSI to be that succesful (yet again, they released it cos they wanted,)

oh as for the cool you must be 15 comment... no im not 15, not as if that matters, i didnt claim to be the nephew of a basketball legend,
    that sounds pretty pre teen if you ask me

and finally, dont go repsonding with a big long comeback, i havent the energy and im going to collapse, so if you must keep it short please!!

Geiger wrote:
    Not laughable, but ludicrous. Dictionary.com is both fast and free.

http://www.drownedinsound.com/articles/5608.html

It didn't have to happen every night man, they just cancelled it all in one fell swoop.

dictionary.com eh?? good for you, well done

eh guitarist buckethead was actually quite ill

anyway i thought we were talking about original gnr?

Geiger wrote:

and since when has cancelling the remainder of a tour been the crime of the century? every band has cancelled tours at some stage.

confetti wrote:
    dictionary.com eh?? good for you, well done

eh guitarist buckethead was actually quite ill

anyway i thought we were talking about original gnr?

No. I think the old Guns n Roses stuff is great, I wouldn't have spent money on it otherwise. This is what we disagree on:

As good as they were , I don't think they were ever 'the best'.
    and since when has cancelling the remainder of a tour been the crime of the century? every band has cancelled tours at some stage.

Seriously, stop bumping your post count with this junk, just edit your posts. It's like I said before about diehard fans, they will never admit their favourite band can do something wrong.

confetti wrote:
    IF GNR HAD RELEASED ORIGINAL MUSIC, THEY WOULD HAVE GOT A NUMBER ONE ALBUM AND MOST LIKELY SUCCESFUL SINGLES, im not being arogant and i dont think i know it all in saying this but i do know the talent of gnr and the success they were riding would have guaranteed this..

oh as for the cool you must be 15 comment... no im not 15, not as if that matters, i didnt claim to be the nephew of a basketball legend,
    that sounds pretty pre teen if you ask me

and finally, dont go repsonding with a big long comeback, i havent the energy and im going to collapse, so if you must keep it short please!!

Oh I must, I must :D

Do you really believe GnR were capable of writing original music at that point (to the standard of their previous efforts)? If means nothing, it's just speculation neither of us are qualified for. It's been, what, 15 years now since an original album? Sure there would've been a lot of hype (just as there was for The Spaghetti Incident IIRC) but they didn't have the tunes and, as a band, they were disingtegrating. Was Duff still even in the band when TSI had been released? That album (which is the point of this in the first place, let us not forget) is an accurate representation of the state of the band at the time. Based on the strength of the music, it's a pretty crap album.

Oh, by the way, if you don't want to be called a child then don't make stupid childish jokes and don't call people twats because you disagree with them, then people might talk to you like a grown up. It's very simple :)

Geiger wrote:
    No. I think the old Guns n Roses stuff is great, I wouldn't have spent money on it otherwise. This is what we disagree on:

As good as they were , I don't think they were ever 'the best'.

i'm not trying to be a smartass here, but use that dictionary, untouchable doesnt mean that they are undisputably the best band ever,

i was using it in the context of they have secured their place in rock n roll history, no cancelled shows or bad press can remove them,

appetite for destruction alone made them untouchable in rock history

• Advertisement

confetti wrote:

I agree entirely, but the band who recorded Appettite For Destruction and the band who recorded The Spaghettit Incident were very, very different (and I'm not just talking about the line-up here) :)

Doctor J wrote:
    Oh I must, I must :D

Do you really believe GnR were capable of writing original music at that point (to the standard of their previous efforts)? If means nothing, it's just speculation neither of us are qualified for. It's been, what, 15 years now since an original album? Sure there would've been a lot of hype (just as there was for The Spaghetti Incident IIRC) but they didn't have the tunes and, as a band, they were disingtegrating. Was Duff still even in the band when TSI had been released? That album (which is the point of this in the first place, let us not forget) is an accurate representation of the state of the band at the time. Based on the strength of the music, it's a pretty crap album.

Oh, by the way, if you don't want to be called a child then don't make stupid childish jokes and don't call people twats because you disagree with them, then people might talk to you like a grown up. It's very simple :)

when someone says they were amazing up until the early 90's and now theyre a joke?? they didnt exist as a band after the early 90's!!!!! how could i resist a 'name' of some sort? i stand by it :D

and yes i do believe that gnr were capable of writing music at that point,
    capable being that they had the ability, what they didnt have at that point was the same goals,

duff was in the band till 1996.

i dont think its fair to say TSI is an accurate representation of the band at that time, they had played some of those songs in gigs, and had planned for some time to release that album.

they also planned to record the next album straight away, the rest is history... (don't even think about going into it)

confetti wrote:
    amazing up until the early 90's and now theyre a joke??

what kind of twat are you, they havent released an album of original material since 1991, and you say they were amazing then??

so by releasing nothing they have become a joke in your books,

First of all no need to attack someone for having an opinion
    Secondly, No album of original material in 14 years, constant line up changes, cancelled tours, not turning up at shows. Not exactly the hardest working band are they?
    Thirdly, Grow up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

i truly love appetite, but can't get into the later stuff to the same extent.
    Axl is mesmirising to watch in the videos for appetite, but he isn't the same in the lateR ones

Doctor J wrote:
    I agree entirely, but the band who recorded Appettite For Destruction and the band who recorded The Spaghettit Incident were very, very different (and I'm not just talking about the line-up here) :)

yes they were a very different band, but of course they were, they couldnt not be. way side tracked here!!

you think the the spag incident sucks, i like it, but i like it because i love guns n roses, it interests me to hear songs that influenced them done in their way, i think they did justice to them, fans of the originals may disagree and thats understandable, i probably would if situation was reversed

Cungi wrote:
    First of all no need to attack someone for having an opinion
    Secondly, No album of original material in 14 years, constant line up changes, cancelled tours, not turning up at shows. Not exactly the hardest working band are they?
    Thirdly, Grow up

im not attacking you, stop being so sensitive, and what do you mean by grow up??? im giving my opinion and backing it up, what do you want me to do?? i actually repect the opinion of dr j i just dont agree with all of it, but thats life isnt it?

that guns n roses finished in 1995/6.
    stop saying no album in 14 years, thats like saying nirvana are a joke cos they havent released an album in whatever years.

constant line up changes and no album for the new band??

firstly the fact that there is no album is nothing to do with you or me or anyone else, none of us are owed anything, how many bands are outthere now that havent made it and are goign through countless line up changes and have no album??? thats what axl is goign through now, just beacuse hes in the spotlight of sorts dont mean you can judge, hes owes us nothing.

secondly, i said it all above

i truly love appetite, but can't get into the later stuff to the same extent.
    Axl is mesmirising to watch in the videos for appetite, but he isn't the same in the lateR ones

yeah i prefer the appettite days also, nothing like them

confetti wrote:
    i'm not trying to be a smartass here, but use that dictionary, untouchable doesnt mean that they are undisputably the best band ever,

i was using it in the context of they have secured their place in rock n roll history, no cancelled shows or bad press can remove them,

Yes, Guns N Roses have secured a place in rock history. Yes, Appetite for Destruction is a *classic* album. Nobody can take that away from those guys, we are agreed. But this was over 10 years ago and times have changed. Modern day Guns N Roses have done more harm than good to the GnR legacy. It's a shame because I think Axel Rose is a talented guy and maybe without the pressure of GnR's name, he could have released some more quality material with another band.

How can you compare a band that dosen't exist anymore to a band that does

• Advertisement

Geiger wrote:
    Yes, Guns N Roses have secured a place in rock history. Yes, Appetite for Destruction is a *classic* album. Nobody can take that away from those guys, we are agreed. But this was over 10 years ago and times have changed. Modern day Guns N Roses have done more harm than good to the GnR legacy. It's a shame because I think Axel Rose is a talented guy and maybe without the pressure of GnR's name, he could have released some more quality material with another band.

mostly true, but i dont think any harm has been done to the gnr legacy,
    true axl should have came up with a new name, i agree on that,
    but the one thing i do know, axl is a seriously talented person so just wait and see what happens when the album is released, hopefully it will be soon, i believe it is mostly legal issues that stop it, duff and slash are suing, other things also,
    but what do i know?? no one knows the real truth we'll just have to wait and see,

the thing abut the qulaity stuff with another band, thats what hes trying to do now, thats what took so long, he has said illusions were released before he was ready and this time its not coming out till hes 100% happy with it, hes also said hes doing this new album for himself, maybe we'll never hear it

Advertisement