Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mail Server Recommendation for FreeBSD/LDAP

• 29-07-2005 11:56am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

Another round at setting up an email server.

I've found that sendmail won't deliver to procmail and maildirs using LDAP so that's a non-runner.

The mail users are also system users (i.e. they can log in). The only big requirements are that users will be only in the LDAP directory and only accounts like root, operator etc will be left in /etc/passwd. I want maildir format as the only delivery method and I need procmail as I had some very good rules set up before. Whether it delivers to /home/user/Maildir or to /var/Maildirs/user is not really an issue as long as Courier IMAP can read it.

Postfix looks like a good fit, plenty of documentation on the internet. However I had one bad experience with it and LDAP before although I think it may have been inexperience. Would be prepared to try it again.

Courier MTA is interesting as it seems to integrate quite well together, and if it's quality is comparable to Courier IMAP then i'd be very happy.

Exim and QMail both look alright tpo although I can't really make out too much about whether they'd be a good fit ot not.

Basically it boils down to Postfix vs. Courier (plus the LDAP issue). Has anyone set up either of these in such a configuration before?

Advertisement