Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DW MX 2004 FTP Problem

Options
  • 29-07-2005 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Hi, I can't seem to connect to eircom's free webspace (homepage.eircom.net) through Dreamweaver's FTP ever since I installed my broadband and wireless router. I've added DW to the exceptions list in WinXP Firewall. Should I be changing any settings on my BT Modem or Belkin Wireless Router?

I should mention, I can connect to other sites with the FTP so it's not an internet problem! Seems to be specific to eircom!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

are you sure you have the correct ftp details?
    Anyhow, DW's ftp abilities are pretty crap*. It doesn't see .htaccess type files and also doesn't allow you to CHMOD directories, etc.
    Currently Im using Smart FTP which is quite good.

* as usual I may be wrong but don't think I am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Have you tried connecting with a regular FTP client (like FileZilla)? I'm sure that will provide more information when it tries to connect. There may be a problem with the eircom account itself. This seems especially true since you can connect to other FTP servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

BT Modem? You have to be connected to eircom.net in order to use eircom.net webspace. They block connections from non-eircom IPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Thanks guys!

Ok, I definitely have ftp details correct cos I haven't changed them since I could connect through dial-up (before I installed my bb).

I just tried SmartFTP and got the following error;
    "An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine."

So it's a problem with the eircom servers, they don't like me anymore for some reason. :( Could it be anything related to the new routers/firewalls?

Dun wrote:
    BT Modem? You have to be connected to eircom.net in order to use eircom.net webspace. They block connections from non-eircom IPs.
    F#*kers!! I knew that! I remember I tried to connect to eircom from an NTL dial-up and they blocked that too.

Cheers for jogging my memory Dun! Any way around this do you reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I should mention, I can connect to other sites with the FTP so it's not an internet problem! Seems to be specific to eircom!
    I didn't spot that bit for some reason. As said €ircon won't allow non €ircon ISPd ftpers access.

Yeh, just ditched them anyway :D On a new server no!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Had a similar problem and it fixed it when i clicked 'Passiveftp'. Not ideal but it worked.

Yeh, tried 'passive' but made no difference for me unfortunately. Anyhow, as I said, I've ditched them. Such an annoying company to have to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

When you connect to FTP Server, do you get a connection, will it let you input UID / Password ?????

Can you PING the IP Address of the FTP Server .I.E ping 192.168.230.12. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Ah yeah, can't believe I didn't remember that either. You can only FTP to an eircom account from an eircom IP.

Advertisement