Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black & White

Options
  • 29-07-2005 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Have a colour photograph opened up in photoshop CS I and want to make it look like it was taken in Black and white.

Is there a simple way to make it look like it was taken in black and white.
    You know like an old photograph

Cheers
    Scribs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Lots of different ways to do it from using PS to switch from Colour to Greyscale modes, using hue and saturation to desaturate or switch to LAB colour and delate the a and b channels. As each RGB channel is in itself a monochrome, sometime the best results, or at least interesting ones, come from deleting two of the three colour channels. If you want more control over how the black and white comes out add two hue/saturation adjustment layers and set the mode of one to colourise and one to zero saturation. Changing the hue on the first channel then is the same as using different colour filters on a B&W film.

If you have CS, there are now the various film filter effects which you can apply to the RGB picture before the conversion to B&W through the LAB mode method. As someone who used to shoot a lot in B&W, this feels a very natural way to do it.

The boxing image are quite dark so you may find you have to boost the levels up before the conversion and again once you have it in B&W.

Hope I have helped rather than confuse.

This is what i am talking about if u dont get what i mean..

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/b-w_better.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Gareth2303

Not sure about CS, But i'm on 7.0..Easiest way on that to make a photo appear to be black and white is to go to

Image>Mode>Greyscale
    Hope his does the trick :D
    Also, If you want to brighten the image up or darken it down when it's greyscale, make sure to Ctrl-U it before setting to greyscale..hope it helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

cheers guys

Advertisement