Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom wins the court case

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Just comes down to sloppy legislation!

I almost feel sorry for ComReg.

If this were soccer, the world cup final would take several years as each time the referee blew his whistle there would be a long drawn out battle at a FIFA tribunal.

Some has to give ComReg some legislative support and some teeth! How can anyone regulate an industry if they've no power or authority to do so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Solair wrote:
    Some has to give ComReg some legislative support and some teeth! How can anyone regulate an industry if they've no power or authority to do so?
    Being strongly critical of ComReg, especially because of their damaging, systemic misinformation agenda, I'd agree they are victims as much as they are cause of the general failure: Without teeth it is only natural to discard of the backbone; that's almost like the psychological self-defence mechanism in individuals.

With regards to the Regulatory Framework I found this differing view on the issue. It makes perfect sense to me and I don't understand how this court decision came about?
    The Framework Regulations provide for the establishment of an Appeals Panel to whom any user or undertaking that is affected by any decision of ComReg may appeal. They also set out the steps to be taken and the time limit within which any such appeal must be taken.

The Appeal Panel will have the power to compel the attendance of witnesses, to examine witnesses under oath and to compel the production of documents. Any decision of ComReg will stand until such time as the Appeal Panel overturns it.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That's an interesting snippet of information. I would assume though that the court had considered this though. Also, I believe that the appeals panel wasn't fully set up at that stage 5 months ago.

It's sloppy legislation vs. a company with an army of the highest payed lawyers it can get its hands on.

Irish legislation's often woefully full of loopholes and weakspots it's by no means unique to the telecommunications sector!

The nature of the legal system is that it will automatically look for the weak points in any act of the oireachtas. There's no question of wheather the decision is in the greater good, it's just a dispassionate argument about legal technicalities. The result of which is that eircom will delay LLU again.

I'm not 100% sure of the technicalities, but it does sound like implementing an automatated local loop unbundling system would place a very heavy burden on eircom (financially).

ComReg need to look at some kind of a mechanism that provides decent compeditive access to local loops without burdening eircom with huge costs in rolling that sollution out. Their network wasn't designed to have unbundled local loops, so it will probabally require signifigant amounts of work to make an automated system possible.

Perhaps they should look at installing equipment at exchanges that would be owned / manged by a company controlled by comreg but owned and paid for by the other telcos who are interested in accessing the local loop directly. LLU Ltd or something. It could handle all of the administration / technicalities of these requests for unbundled lines. It would also mean that eircom would only have one authorised entity "fiddling with" it's exchanges which would greatly simplify things.

A sort of a common unbundling platform. It could be held in common ownership, something along the lines of the INEX (Internet Neutral EXchange) that interconnects the various ISPs in Ireland.

So, if you requested an unbundled line, LLU Ltd could do all of the technical work and you, as the other telco, would connecto to LLU Ltd's equipment and not directly to eircom's distribution frames.

I think part of the problem is that ComReg implements regulations in this area without thinking the practicalities of them through.

I'm no fan of eircom, don't get me wrong here, I can just see why they would be unwilling to spend money upgrading exchanges and on administration systems simply to allow other operators in.

If LLU signifigantly impacted on eircom's costs, you could see how they would be doing everything to prevent it going ahead.

I'm not for a moment trying to say that eircom shouldn't be made to open up their network. I'm just saying that perhaps there are far better ways of doing it in a more creative, efficient and less painful way.

Any measures to increase competition in the market should be fair, if there are any increased costs to bare, they should be distributed evenly amongst all of the players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Solair wrote:
    Perhaps they should look at installing equipment at exchanges that would be owned / manged by a company controlled by comreg but owned and paid for by the other telcos who are interested in accessing the local loop directly. LLU Ltd or something. It could handle all of the administration / technicalities of these requests for unbundled lines. It would also mean that eircom would only have one authorised entity "fiddling with" it's exchanges which would greatly simplify things.

That is a very good idea... If only Comreg were this inciteful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Solair wrote:
    Their network wasn't designed to have unbundled local loops, so it will probabally require signifigant amounts of work to make an automated system possible.

Could this have been deliberate?

Every telco in Europe and as far as I know the US is required by law to provide access to the local loop.

Break eircom in two and you may get the result you seek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

paulm17781 wrote:
    That is a very good idea... If only Comreg were this inciteful.

I don't think this is within ComReg's terms of reference. BTW, this LLU Ltd, sounds a bit like E-Net in a way.

I don't think those telcos that want to do LLu would go for that as they'd all have various ideas on what kind of equipment to use and what kind of components to add. However this would be a really good idea for all the exchanges eircom are not willing to upgrade. Intall the equipment, connect the exchange to a MAN, plug into a resellers network at various points. It's just bitstream then but eircom free bitstream.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

paulm17781 wrote:
    If only Comreg were this inciteful.
    Most accurate typo I've seen in a while.

This is a typical unbundling setup:
    (In this case, France Telecom.. oddly enough they use the same switches as eircom)

4.gif

What I would propose is that LLU Ltd would manage the whole process of disconnecting the line from the eircom exchange and patching it over to the other operator's equipment.

eircom's unwilling to do it at a reasonable cost.

So, what I'm suggesting is that the other operators pool their engineering resources, with the approval of eircom (forced through ComReg/Legislation if necessary) this new entity would have a team of engineers and an IT system dedicated to Local Loop Unbundling.

They would have access to the exchanges' distribution frames & to the other operator's equipment and would do the cutting over.

The same entity would manage and control plant rooms / external facilities to house other operators gear.

i.e. a room within the eircom building or a building located outside which would have Air conditioning, power supplies and UPS facilities, access to the local MAN and other fiber infrastructure and a mast on the roof for access to microwave links etc.

This building would be available to any other operator, provided they made their contribution to the company that operates it.

LLU can't really be automated per se, unlike carrier preselect which is entirely handled software installed on the switch, LLU requires a physical tie lines to be provided between eircom's distribution frames and the other operator. So, perhaps this might be a way around relying 100% on eircom to do it?

It would also mean that LLU could be done in a co-operative way in smaller exchanges. e.g. you might have a number of companies sharing a single pooled MSAN node.

And again, as Damien suggested, it might also lead to an alternative non-eircom source of DSL in exchanges that they haven't bothered to upgrade yet.

For those of you who have never seen one:

ocs1.jpg

That's a relatively small distribution frame for a telephone exchange.

LLU involves connecting a pair of cables from there to another operator's distirbution frame and onto their voice switching or DSL equipment.

Not as neat and tidy as you might think :) and also explains why you occasionally get crosstalk if it goes horribly wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Eircom gets paid very good money for unbundled lines, so they have very little to complain about. If LLU works in other countries at half the money, there's no reason why it wouldn't work here.

• Advertisement

Blaster99 wrote:
    Eircom gets paid very good money for unbundled lines, so they have very little to complain about. If LLU works in other countries at half the money, there's no reason why it wouldn't work here.

I believe that they are saying setting up an automated process would be expensive which does make you wonder why they should have to pay to reduce their own revenues.

That is why I like Solair's idea so much.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Eircom is deliberately hindering the process. ComReg is incapable of dealing with the issue in the appropriate way. The EU Commission might have to intervene again, as they did back in 2002 when they threatened court action against the ODTR (name-changed to ComReg since) for failing to regulate for LLU.
    "The introduction of LLU was scheduled for April 2001 but by the end of the year none of the nation’s alternative operators
    had installed co-location facilities in any eircom exchanges. In March 2002 the European Commission (EC) announced plans to
    launch legal proceedings against the ODTR for failing to fully implement LLU legislation and ensure that new entrants are able
    to gain fair access to the ‘last-mile’ infrastructure into subscriber homes.
    Officials at eircom, however, were quick to jump to
    the ODTR’s defence, pointing to a January 2002 LLU consultation carried out by the ODTR which showed that there was no
    interest from the nation’s alternative telecoms operators in taking the service. eircom executives also observed that the
    company’s local loop had been unbundled for 15 months, but that no one had requested access to its unbundled local
    exchanges during that time."
    From this pdf
    P.

Enn reports about an IT article/interview with ECAP
    New telco panel set to hand down rulings
    According to a report in the Irish Times on Tuesday, the Electronic Communications Appeals Panel (Ecap) will rule on appeals lodged by Vodafone, O2, Three and Eircom over the next few months. All of the appeals deal with earlier decisions by communications regulator ComReg -- a body that Ecap has the power to overrule following its establishment in 2004....
    P.

paulm17781 wrote:
    I believe that they are saying setting up an automated process would be expensive which does make you wonder why they should have to pay to reduce their own revenues.

That is why I like Solair's idea so much.

It's very simple really. Ignore completely what Eircom says and look at international precedence. If it works in other countries, it will work here too regardless of Eircom's excuses. Eircom is forced to do LLU so an automated process would be in their interest as they can process the orders more efficiently. Solair's idea is good but it's not really necessary to complicate this stuff.

Blaster99 wrote:
    It's very simple really. Ignore completely what Eircom says and look at international precedence. If it works in other countries, it will work here too regardless of Eircom's excuses. Eircom is forced to do LLU so an automated process would be in their interest as they can process the orders more efficiently. Solair's idea is good but it's not really necessary to complicate this stuff.

Would you run a business where you have to spend money to help your competitors?

That's an irrelevant question in this context. Eircom has to do LLU whether they want to or not or whether their competitors make money on it or not. Given that, it makes sense for Eircom to implement a system that allows them to make as much money as possible on LLU. They would do this by dealing with it as efficiently as possible.

Blaster99 wrote:
    That's an irrelevant question in this context. Eircom has to do LLU whether they want to or not or whether their competitors make money on it or not. Given that, it makes sense for Eircom to implement a system that allows them to make as much money as possible on LLU. They would do this by dealing with it as efficiently as possible.

They are making more by keeping customers than they would from LLU. Keeping LLU slow moving for other customers is good business for Eircom. Sadly fair rarely applies to us customers.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Blaster99 wrote:

Last Friday's victory for eircom highlights a number of issues:

1. ComReg are powerless to issue new directions with out leave to appeal of 28 days, plus 4 months as is stated as the time to hear an ECAP appeal.

2. ComReg only has powers over existing measures and enforcing same.

3. ComReg can either stick with the Lamborghini style directions or withdraw same. In favour of something more palateable.

4. The access regulations, while transposed properly may prove flawed.

5. Competition Acts may need to be brought over to effect ComReg's clout in enforcement of dominance, unlikely to happen.

6. The nation is unlikely to see motion on LLU in less that six months from now.

7. The Minister should have convened the appeal panel for reference awaiting outcome of judicial review.

Friday was a moral and principled victory for eircom. It effects very little in the context of business/consumer operations. What it does solidify is ComReg's issue with regulation ex ante (Latin work applied as during lifecycle).

Ex Post (Latin word for after the point/fact) competition law reviews are protracted and unwieldy. We may find ourselfs as a nation stuck with them. The EU Framework was designed to foster Ex Ante approaches to utilities.

ComReg's other options:

A. Appeal judgement (unlikely)
    B. Seek changes to legislation/s (Untimely)
    C. Withdraw directions in part / retain SMP - Significant Market Power status.

So SNFAU - Situaiton Normal All Fouled Up. :rolleyes:

Re: Quote. EU Precedent means nothing at the moment with regard to the position of industry and constitutional rights. While your point is a nice to have it's unrealistic.

Justice McKechnie was in rather a hurry to delivery this judgement last Friday, so perhaps I have missed something.

Tom

I just think that eircom will continiously come up with hurdles for LLU so the only way forward is to simply bypass eircom and, if you pardon the pun, take them out of the loop completely.

Also, given Ireland's demographics it might be a way towards making full scale LLU in all areas economically viable if operators could have a framework for sharing infrastructure rather than all duplicating and triplicating equipment in tiny exchanges and being forever beholden to eircom's bullying tactics.

It would mean that a new operator could simply come along to this new entity, without ever approaching eircom at all. Have their equipment installed and connected to the network without any eircom involvement at all.

I honestly don't think either ComReg or the Government is capable of regulating eircom into submission. We've also got a rather different legal framework to many other european countries, so every regulation is open to legal challenge it's just a fact of life! Look at any infrastructural project, planning decisions, etc etc .. it's the same endless farce! There's no question of looking at the greater good.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Maybe but there are question's of replication and then also investment. Question, do you propose some type of compelled handover of copper pairs?

There's been talk of various things ultimately the monopoly remains.

Wait to see what UPC/UGC do with cable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement