Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Civic coupe 1.7 vtec (2003) - Rare??

Options
  • 29-07-2005 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the story with these cars is:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=257384

I haven't seen any around, and they are even hard to find on the net (apart from the US). Does anyone know about the European production details, country of release, etc.? I do know they are more common in the US, but this is the first right-hand drive I've seen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

It look likethe version that the Amercians get. Maybe its a Amercian that is selling it after moving over here and changing to RHD.

Definitely not Irish by any means, sweet looking ride though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

Definitley not european?? ......dont sate facts when u dont kno siht!
    whats so special about it , its just a coupe version of the current civic.
    you can buy them all over europe , japan etc. they have them at dealers all over europe. particulalrly popular in the UK and Germany(24k new).

its not unique, its just u dont see many of them becuase we , irish , prefer our "sensible" cars such as micras , corsas and yaris's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

These are common as poo in England!!

Limited production of these, they were only being built for a bout two years in Swindon, UK :cool: That's why they're somewhat of a rarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

Thought these were built in the US and then imported to europe/japan, same for the rest of the later model civic coupes. plus the engine is not really that power only about 120bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

there's one of these going round my area, pretty nice looking imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Thought these were built in the US and then imported to europe/japan, same for the rest of the later model civic coupes. plus the engine is not really that power only about 120bhp

Nope, the European version of this generation is built in Swindon UK. For the UK domestic market the Coupe was only on sale for 2002-2003. It flopped by all accounts as was over expensive and not particularly exciting. As such they stopped selling in the UK.

They were never imported into Ireland by the Irish distributers here, but some dealers, notable Clonskeagh Motors (Honda Dealer) imported them directly. Only a handful were imported as the good old VRT made the cost of them ridiculous! €31,000 for a Civic coupe anyone? The 2.0 litre Type R at the time cost only €32,500!

Anyhow, the cars themselves offer a ride similar to the current 4 door Civic still on sale here, but have quite a few standard extras, sunroof, heated leather seats, front-fogs, etc. The engine is a 1.7 SOHC VTEC (D17A1)putting out 125BHP. The torque output makes it a smooth ride also and it does 0-60 in 9.2s. So it's a reasonable car but not wild.

I've seen a few, in fact I was in Clonskeagh motors on Monday getting the car serviced and they've one on the forecourt. Nice from the back, bland from the front. If you can get one for a good price it would be worth it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Playaflow

Learn how to spell lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

kluivert wrote:
    Playaflow

Learn how to spell lad.

ooooh...burn!

learn how to not talk crap , big man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

jayok wrote:
    Nope, the European version of this generation is built in Swindon UK. For the UK domestic market the Coupe was only on sale for 2002-2003. It flopped by all accounts as was over expensive and not particularly exciting. As such they stopped selling in the UK.

They were never imported into Ireland by the Irish distributers here, but some dealers, notable Clonskeagh Motors (Honda Dealer) imported them directly. Only a handful were imported as the good old VRT made the cost of them ridiculous! €31,000 for a Civic coupe anyone? The 2.0 litre Type R at the time cost only €32,500!

Anyhow, the cars themselves offer a ride similar to the current 4 door Civic still on sale here, but have quite a few standard extras, sunroof, heated leather seats, front-fogs, etc. The engine is a 1.7 SOHC VTEC (D17A1)putting out 125BHP. The torque output makes it a smooth ride also and it does 0-60 in 9.2s. So it's a reasonable car but not wild.

I've seen a few, in fact I was in Clonskeagh motors on Monday getting the car serviced and they've one on the forecourt. Nice from the back, bland from the front. If you can get one for a good price it would be worth it IMO.

Ya have seen them clonskeagh motors but you could also just import one of the new integra type s, not type r but still a better looker and performer.

Laugh of the thing aswell the euro spec civic type r and jap spec type r were both made in swindon, again the europeans get the lower equiped model.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

jayok wrote:

I think the Civic coupe was always built in the US as it was based on the Civic saloon rather than the Swindon built Civic 3dr and 5dr hatchbacks. Check out this at http://www.honestjohn.co.uk. The last generation from 2001 was never sold in Ireland offically as demand was poor. The new generation Civic being launched in October will not have a coupe come to Ireland/UK either as I think Honda are looking at relaunching the CRX model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Interesting. I've always been into the Civic Coupe look, and the 03 VTEC really caught my eye, so was curious as to why they aren't more common. I'd say in a couple of years you will see a lot more of them around (look at all the import 99 Civic coupes that are popping up at the moment!).

I wouldn't be too enthusiastec about buying one of the Swindon built machines though, from what I've heard it *does* make a difference if you get a Jap built model, and the same applies for the Toyota Corolla.

So is it US or UK built? I know the previous generation were built in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

My bad, the coupe is actually built in the US. You can find some info about the Civic's include the Coupe here.

http://cars.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/cr_12267794-1230/100354123.html
    I wouldn't be too enthusiastec about buying one of the Swindon built machines though

Interesting this, yes, the originally built 6th gen Civic's in Japan and they were better built, but in 2001 manufacturing of the Type-R and all European Civic's was transferred to here. So much so that the Type-R is exported from Swindon to Japan! They must be building something right - the Japs have no tolerance of poor quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Dagon wrote:
    Interesting. I've always been into the Civic Coupe look, and the 03 VTEC really caught my eye, so was curious as to why they aren't more common. I'd say in a couple of years you will see a lot more of them around (look at all the import 99 Civic coupes that are popping up at the moment!).

I wouldn't be too enthusiastec about buying one of the Swindon built machines though, from what I've heard it *does* make a difference if you get a Jap built model, and the same applies for the Toyota Corolla.

So is it US or UK built? I know the previous generation were built in the US.

Well I had a 1994 Honda Accord a couple of years ago as a company car and can honestly say it was one of the best cars I ever had. That was built in Swindon and build quality was top notch. The only Hondas on sale here that come from Japan these days are the HR-V and Civic saloon. My father currently has a 2003 Civc 3 door and has had no issues. The Accord, Jazz, Civic hatchback, Stream, FR-V and CR-V are all built in Swindon.

The same goes with Toyota, the Yaris, Corolla hatchback and Avensis are all built in the UK. The new Rav4 is going to be built in their factory in France. The Corolla saloon and estate are built in Turkey while the Aygo is built in the Czech Republic along side the Citroen C1 and Peug 107.

Advertisement