Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Unable to delete SMS from 6680

• 29-07-2005 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently got a 6680 and was just learning how to use it when I got an SMS into my inbox with a question mark beside it as oppossed to the usually envelope or globe (WAP Link). I am unable to view this message, delete it and every time I try to bring up the options, the phone kicks me out to the main screen. This seems to be a known problem, but I have no wish to send the phone back to Vodafone for a week just so they can flash it.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

gogul wrote:
    Hi,

I recently got a 6680 and was just learning how to use it when I got an SMS into my inbox with a question mark beside it as oppossed to the usually envelope or globe (WAP Link). I am unable to view this message, delete it and every time I try to bring up the options, the phone kicks me out to the main screen. This seems to be a known problem, but I have no wish to send the phone back to Vodafone for a week just so they can flash it.

Any ideas?

Get a third party file explorer onto it, then browse through the phones system using it, you should find the message within one of the many folders in the messaging folder, delete it there and then then you will be able to delete this corrupt message from the messaging menu.

I had this problem several times on the 6600, never on my 6680 though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭gogul

Nice one, I'll give that a shot. Any advise on which third party software to use?

Finny

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

fxplorer is the best one to use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mobileplaza

try a hard reset mate thats ya only option if u cannot delete it through fxplorer.
    i had a person with the same trouble and the hard reset worked.

with phone powered off press and hold Green Dial Key, * and 3 at the same time, then press the power key on. phone will say formatting..

you will put the phone back to factory settings doing this so beware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

As far as I know, this occurs when you receive an MMS while roaming. Furthermore, as you mentioned, the only way to fix this appears to be flashing the phone.

But there's drastically little coverage on this out on the web! Can anyone shed some light?

What exactly will flashing the phone do?
    Or a master hard reset?
    What will you lose?
    Can mass backup (and subsequent restore) with Nokia PC Suite bring your phone back to "normal?
    Can you update the firmware whilst flashing so that this won't happen again?

And possibly most importantly, why the hell should we have to put up with this when we paid for the product/service? :)

The "1 New Message" icon is really starting to p*ss me off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

What exactly will flashing the phone do?
    puts new firmware on it.
    Or a master hard reset?
    reset to factory settings

What will you lose?
    everything
    Can mass backup (and subsequent restore) with Nokia PC Suite bring your phone back to "normal?
    yeah, if you back up all contacts, settings etc.
    Can you update the firmware whilst flashing so that this won't happen again?
    that's what flashing is
    And possibly most importantly, why the hell should we have to put up with this when we paid for the product/service? :)
    i don't know. lets go and kill them :v:

as people above said, try fexplorer and try deleting it from the pc suite too

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

I had this problem with my 6680 when I was roaming in England someone sent me a MMS and it happened!

All I did was bring it to the nokia shop on Dawson St and they fixed it for free (if it's under the 24 month nokia guarantee) it takes a few hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Cheers, Commander Vimes. Any idea what version of the OS / firmware sorts this roaming MMS problem? i.e. Which should I flash it with?

Mr. Moon, did they save and restore all your stuff? Could do this myself, but if they can do it all fairly reliably, then I'll let them do it. Also, did they actually put new firmware on it and say "This won't happen again"? I'm back and forth from Sweden seeing my ladyfriend and I've a few mates who send MMS's quite a bit, so it could get messy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

the same think happened to me only days after getting it i thought it was a virus sent by bluetooth,brought it to mprc and they flashed it and sorted my problem

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

deathfunk wrote:
    Mr. Moon, did they save and restore all your stuff? Could do this myself, but if they can do it all fairly reliably, then I'll let them do it. Also, did they actually put new firmware on it and say "This won't happen again"? I'm back and forth from Sweden seeing my ladyfriend and I've a few mates who send MMS's quite a bit, so it could get messy :)

They told me on the phone to save everything first, as the phone will be reset to factory settings when it's upgraded!

They didn't say if it would happen again I never asked them, I was rushing to get back to work!

• Advertisement
Advertisement