Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric Picnic

• 29-07-2005 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

I heard there's going to be a Silent Disco there which should be interesting.

I'm going to it to see Goldfrapp, kraftwork, Rosin Murphy, fatboy Slim, Royksopp and Stereo Mc's.

I've looked at the line up and to be honest there's alot of people playing i've never heard of, any advice on good people to go see?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

POW! wrote:

I'm going to it to see Goldfrapp, kraftwork, Rosin Murphy, fatboy Slim, Royksopp and Stereo Mc's.

I've looked at the line up and to be honest there's alot of people playing i've never heard of, any advice on good people to go see?

Line-up looks ridiculously good and the organisers seem to have copped on a bit by holding over two days instead of one. I'd be there if I wasn't out of the country.

Check out the Bodytonic tent, Mylo and Laurent Garnier to name a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,589 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

POW! wrote:

If its even half as good as last year we're in for a treat. As long as they (as promised) have sorted out the jacks, bars, buses and how close the stages were.

Line up wise must see's for me are Kraftwerk (Their Olympia show last year was the best gig I've ever seen), Arcade Fire, Sneak, Garnier, Mylo, 2 Many DJ's, Vitalic, Nick Cave, Matthew Herbert and his Big Band, De La Soul.

Hopefulyl the weather is as good as last year and also the festival once again is free of Nik Nak's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

KevIRL wrote:
    If its even half as good as last year we're in for a treat. As long as they (as promised) have sorted out the jacks, bars, buses and how close the stages were.
    Have to agree about the bars, a total farce. Im sure they will have it snorted this year though because they would have lost out on $$$$$$ last year on the bar.

As regards jacks I didnt think there was a problem, mind you most of my fluid went through a fence. Jacks are never going to ideal at a festival.

And I thought the way the stages were so close last year was excellent. Didnt miss much moving between acts. And it meant that it wasnt so bad if two people you wanted to see clashed.

Im gutted Im missing the Saturday, most of the acts I want to see are on then, but sure Ill just have to make up for it on the Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭sur_1_nuage

yep yep!

dont forget Asian Dub foundation, Dj Deep, Herbaliser...hmmmmm :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

LCD Soundsystem too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

weekend camping tickets are sold out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Unfortunately i cant make it this year gbut it looks good,alot better than Oxegen IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

make sure to hit Vitalic, he cracks it out. caught him at electric city earlier this year - best gig i've been at for a while!

i'm off to dance valley on thursday, they've a silent disco on from 12 till 4am, so i'll lt ye know what its like!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 POW!

Ya, the Silent Disco sounds interesting alright.

Serious question, will i be getting offered pills all the time? because that could get really annoying, i drink, but thats it like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Q: about the silent disco...

I'm right in thinking this is what they had at Glastonbury this year (or were suppose to have anyway)? How does this work? Surely they give you ****ty airplane style headphones so you won't steal them and there'd be no bass?

Maybe I'm missing something here!

Oh and if anyone liked Jurassic 5 at the last one they're playing in Vicar St. August 28th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

POW! wrote:
    Serious question, will i be getting offered pills all the time? because that could get really annoying, i drink, but thats it like.
    Serious question? :rolleyes:

Its that much bother to say no?

Anyways, I seriously doubt you will be offered pills all the time. Ive attended enough GK's, WP's and SP's and I never remember being "harassed" with people offering me pills more than a couple of times a night. That said, I didnt find it that hard to say no if they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Trybius

POW! wrote:
    Ya, the Silent Disco sounds interesting alright.

Serious question, will I be getting offered drinks all the time? Because that could get really annoying, nothing worse than drunken flailing fools to ruin a good day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭2tel1

POW! wrote:

It will not be the same crowd you get at GK or GG.

I'm sure there will be no/ fu[k all, skangery types, if you know what I mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

2tel1 wrote:

I'm sure there will be no/ fu[k all, skangery types, if you know what I mean

Its not only skangers who do pills. I will do them from time to time. EP is for true dance fans but it will have its contingent of skangers. Doesnt matter how "true" a dance festival you go to now, you will be offered pills. If that annoys you then either stay away or learn to say "no thanks" and let it roll of your back.

chern0byl wrote:

Its not only skangers who do pills.

I will do them from time to time. EP is for true dance fans but it will have its contingent of skangers. Doesnt matter how "true" a dance festival you go to now, you will be offered pills. If that annoys you then either stay away or learn to say "no thanks" and let it roll of your back.

I know, but what I mean is, the crowd will not be the same as at GG.

I'm not saying there will be no pills, but not the pill head types that go to GG.

I have heard people say that they wouldnt go near EP just because they haven't heard of half the line-up or they think its ****e. The same people wouldnt miss GG or GK for the world just becuse Lisa Lashes or BK are playin at it, full of pills, thinking they're great, not even knowing whos on at the time.

There will be alot of people at EP who will actually have a clue about the music and these will be less obsessed about pills, whether they do them or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

2tel1 wrote:
    There will be alot of people at EP who will actually have a clue about the music and these will be less obsessed about pills, whether they do them or not

They will know whos playing, and be into the music, but they certainly will be horsing into the pills.

The only difference in the crowd will be how there dressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Joey Shabadoo

Mylo isn't playing Electric Picnic.

They will know whos playing, and be into the music, but they certainly will be horsing into the pills.

The only difference in the crowd will be how there dressed.

I just think pills are muck. I have no intention of ever doing one again, but if you want to thats your choice and I couldnt care less.

They're will be a good crowd and good music all round imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭weak infant

i find this very interesting.
    in other countries, i've never been, do you get the same differences in crowds? it seems very cut and dried in ireland as to what attracts who.

i remember a quiz/test thing in mixmag, what type of clubber are you. it slagged all the clubbers equally, but it took down the stereotypical 'hipster' (I absolutely hate that word), iPod using, yuppie, too cool for school, student type who thinks they're great because they think they know their music. i was gutted! soon i copped on.

made me realise what a knob one can be when you define yourself in terms of the clothes you wear and the music you listen to, even to a small extent.

the other difference, as i see it, is that crowd A) is more likely in my eyes to kick the sh*te out of somebody than crowd B)

As crowd A) is as nutted on crowd B) on pills, nobody cares, nobody gets hurt! that's what the whole rave thing was originally about, or am i wrong? have you ever seen someone getting their head kicked in at an event like any of the above?

at oxegen where the two crowds meet, you get people complaining about the shirtless wonders. i wonder do they complain about the sneering posers looking down their noses at them trying to enjoy themselves?

Dont read mixmag

• Advertisement

i find this very interesting.
    in other countries, i've never been, do you get the same differences in crowds? it seems very cut and dried in ireland as to what attracts who.

i remember a quiz/test thing in mixmag, what type of clubber are you. it slagged all the clubbers equally, but it took down the stereotypical 'hipster' (I absolutely hate that word), iPod using, yuppie, too cool for school, student type who thinks they're great because they think they know their music. i was gutted! soon i copped on.

made me realise what a knob one can be when you define yourself in terms of the clothes you wear and the music you listen to, even to a small extent.

the other difference, as i see it, is that crowd A) is more likely in my eyes to kick the sh*te out of somebody than crowd B)

As crowd A) is as nutted on crowd B) on pills, nobody cares, nobody gets hurt! that's what the whole rave thing was originally about, or am i wrong? have you ever seen someone getting their head kicked in at an event like any of the above?

at oxegen where the two crowds meet, you get people complaining about the shirtless wonders. i wonder do they complain about the sneering posers looking down their noses at them trying to enjoy themselves?

Lol nah I'm only messin

I see your point. Even at the more skangery events where DJs play I've seen little or no fights. If your got the same types at their local pub/ sh1t club drunk there would probably be endless agro

mixmag was well capable of slagging off yuppies tho. says a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭gungo

I've seen and continue 2 see things from both sides i'm sure i'm not the only one who has friends on both sides of the "divide". Truth is it seems like people try to latch on to the bits they remember usually the bad stuff. The one "skanger" out of thousands that gets into a fight or the "hipster" that takes the p!ss or looks down there nose. I'm gettin round to thinkin that the more circles ya move in the better imo- variety is the spice of life and all that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BogOak

not only have i friends on both sides but depending on what i'm wearing or who i'm with i'm sure i've appeared at different times in other people's eyes to be both. just worry about your own fun you freaks. if someone tries to beat you up then thats different obviously but don't expect them to because of the way they look or talk. and if you get that annoyed by people offering you pills just think of the starving children in africa (etc blah etc). just love everyone and everything and you'll be fine.

Well i wouldn't be classed as being on either side of this arguement, the reason people me offer pills alot at these sort of things is probably because i look like a drug taker. For example: At Oxegen i was wearing a red scarf, a jimi hendrix t shirt and an afro wig. It annoys me that people think you have to take drugs to enjoy yourself and wear stuff like that. I've done hash but thats it, I wouldn't even consider pills.

POW! wrote:
    I've done hash but thats it, I wouldn't even consider pills.

Your such a square!

Is it an excepted drug nowadays?

Every drug is accepted in the right circles except heroin and crack(unless you move in really dogy circles)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

POW! wrote:
    I've done hash but thats it, I wouldn't even consider pills.

I always find quotes like that odd... I mean, I'd understand it if you said you had considered it, weighed up the pros and cons and decided it wasn't for you. But just completely ignoring the option seems strange, especially for someone who professes to take hash (unless you took hash and really didn't like the effects - but even then, how do you know that pills would also effect you in a negative way?). Even for those that only drink alcohol... why do they take such a strong stance against drugs but happily guzzle alcohol till the cows home? I'd respect decisions like that a lot more if there was some good reasoning behind it apart from, well cos they're bad like.

• Advertisement

all boils down to people thinking they have the moral high ground by staying away from drugs, so they have been led to believe, by parents and other authority figures.
    they just have the legal high ground.

all puns intended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BogOak

"It annoys me that people think you have to take drugs to enjoy yourself "

jesus you have a weird way of looking at the world. people don't think you have to take them to enjoy yourself, they just know that if you do take them, you will enjoy yourself. the fact that you get annoyed by what other people think worries me (annoyed by something that's going on in someone's head? you're a nutcase). you're at a festival/gig, just enjoy yourself for chrsit's sake. at least you're (probably) not a goodlooking girl who gets knobs like me coming up to her every five minutes trying to chat her up. now that would be annoying.

Advertisement