Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CTYI "Back in the Day"

• 29-07-2005 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Well then, CTYI 05 is over forever now, and as I sat and reminisced about my last three years I couldn't help but think how much has changed about the place even since I began back in '03.

Which lead me to wondering what the very first CTYI was like...and the subsiquent ones that I am far too young to remember...what has changed, for good, for bad.

Anybody?

Please don't nuke me with your spell-checking bombs, I'm far too tired to be fully literate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

My first year was '02 and since then the food believe it or not has gotten better, much better range of courses, way more little people and disco's have been in the canteen

And Willie has gone from Asst. Site Director to Site director since Feargal left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Eva

I remember CTYI in '94. Vaguely.
    Oh lordy I feel old :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

94? Wow....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Were you even born then liz???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Very Witty Col :p

I was 3....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭LordCran

Well, I have no idea, but I know someone who does *shouts*
    "OH KEVIN!"
    Now here's one of the few old CTYI stories I know:
    My very talented brother Kevin (psy A TA 2005, if you didn't know) and my cousin Greg both went to CTYI for 3 years, '94-'97, I believe. One day, Greg dropped his hat in the (now drained) pond-thingy. Kevin has a picture of him fishing it out.
    And since Kevin was back 9 years after leaving, he's the perfect "things were better in my day" person. Now where is he...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

Biggest change for me was the movement-ification of the discos...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Manda5678

Biggest change for me was the movement-ification of the discos...
    Yep I disliked that change greatly! They had to do it in my nevermore year and all....I don't like it I tell you.
    Discos in the hub were tradition.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

I remember the discos back in '02 - they were in the Hub and they used all the Hub's special lights and everything.I much preferred that to the canteen..

Yeah, what's with the bullsh*t about them not being able to get the hub? They'e known for the last year at least that we'd want it. Street Spirit in the Canteen is damn scary, even Grafton Street was cleaner!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

Nownow, back in the DAY day, (i.e. 2000/2001) the discos were in the canteen, so REALLY, they were just going retro this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

Who cares?The Hub is better. End of.

Outcast wrote:
    Yeah, what's with the bullsh*t about them not being able to get the hub? They'e known for the last year at least that we'd want it. Street Spirit in the Canteen is damn scary, even Grafton Street was cleaner!

I would have thought that after we had to have two canteen discos last year (and known how unpopular they were) that they would have done their best to get the hub for this year. If they couldn't get the hub on Saturday couldn't we have had a disco on Friday in the hub?

Yeah I agree with you there Niamh street spirit in the canteen was scary. I mean the food they serve you is scary enough whens its on a plate but when there was possible (and most likely) remains of it on the floor where we were lying..that is damn scary

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

And I think I heard from the super-duper aul' wans a few years ago that the discos used to be in the library, as in pre-2000, but I may have dreamed it. Can any aul' wans please come out of the woodwork and confirm/deny this?

The library?!? well in that case i may nver complain about the canteen again..tho the library may have been cleaner..

The old library, that is. Or maybe it was the meals that were in the library, because there was no canteen... But really, I probably just dreamed it!

The new library won't let us study in there let alone have a disco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

I can confirm that in 1999 the old library was where meals and discos were. Don't know about before that though.

See, you weren't dreaming. :D

claire h wrote:
    I can confirm that in 1999 the old library was where meals and discos were. Don't know about before that though.

i cant imagine that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Chris IS Cool

Really makes it sound much more like nerdcamp, having discos in a library, doesn't it? ... but it's strangely appealing... discos in the library... especially if it used all the library... with all the different levels and racks of books and stuff... and groovy disco lights.... and really loud music.... good vibes... *slaps some sense into self*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I remember the library food from the minis.

claire h wrote:

Yay, I wasn't dreaming! It just sounded so improbable and ridiculous, and I couldn't remember where I'd got the idea from, so I thought I might have made it up. But um, yeah, having a CTYI disco in a library seems like a bad idea to me because it gives me visions of bookshelves toppling over and knocking others over in a kind of domino effect, scattering books everywhere and crushing screaming teenagers.... But I've never been inside the old library, so in fact I have no idea where this idea comes from either. Oh dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Eva

Way back in the day, the discos were always in the canteen. (Which back then, was orange and brown... Ah, good times) DCU started renovating the place in 99, turning it into the exciting and ultramodern food hall it is today. CTYI had nowhere to have dinner or discos though, so they moved everything into the old library area. Not the main one, it's the glass room that's to your left when you're walking from the canteen to res.
    Is the fountain back on yet in DCU by the way? We used to push RAs in there on the last day. Though I'm sure that can't be the only reason they emptied it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭CONOR!!! f...

hmm..the library stopped letting ctyi study there in my 1st year. '03. and i can tell you why. the command prompt. dont use it. aoife and i...and liam...jackass were sending messages on the command prompt. the college students complained. end of library study. very sorry. and yeah my 1st year had discos in the hub too. the upside to the canteen is theres not as much room. in the hub there was WAY too much space. still. hub=better.

What class was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭CONOR!!! f...

class? legal studies session 2 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

The second ever CTYI, a certain female sibling of mine went that year, shared a room with Sarah MacElwee, (Psychology tutor in 03+04), food was in canteen as were discos. Beat that for a memory.

I just know someone will beat that for a memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

I was in the minis the year before they started renovating - memories of the old layout are tres blurred. I remember the meals in the old library when they used let the minis stay res. Then they got sense! (or ran out of space...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

oi! i fecking sweeped that floor! and cleaned tables at one point - it was damn clean i'll have you know.

but anyhow - yeah my disco days were always in the hub.

and for the record, they have tried their best to get the hub.

• Advertisement

Yeah, to give credit where credit is due the Ra's tryed pretty damn hard to sort something. And putting the tables back on the last night with people crying their eyes out was a classic moment

Advertisement