Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CTYI "Back in the Day"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭LordCran

Sounds like it. Cleaning up after the discos was damn annoying. Bring back the Hub!

Ok, I don't actually remember when it was in the Hub, but... Shut up! Don't look at me that way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

Yeah the hub rocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Manda5678

LordCran wrote:
    Sounds like it. Cleaning up after the discos was damn annoying. Bring back the Hub!

Ok, I don't actually remember when it was in the Hub, but... Shut up! Don't look at me that way...
    you dont remember?
    *gasps*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Chris IS Cool

LordCran wrote:

*looks at LordCran that way*
    You can't remember the hub? That IS odd... probably the only disco ever which featured people sitting outside playing chess, Monopoly and armwrestling, and in one guy's case (Teapot, what a man) reading a fantasy novel for most of the disco...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Chris- Wheel of time I believe it was

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Ah.

But where exactly IS the old library?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Walk from spar to the canteen. It's the curved building on your right rith the blue rail and the moat of stones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Love

crash_000 wrote:
    oi! i fecking sweeped that floor!
    LordCran wrote:
    Cleaning up after the discos was damn annoying

I apologise to anyone who had to clear up after the disco. I was the owner of the red boa in '04. And also in '05.

Don't kill me...

Oh, it was you. I was trying to remember who it was, and was failing utterly. It was my RA group that cleaned up at that disco. Thanks.
    And I wouldn't remember the Hub. N00b this year, y'see. I'm sure I would have remembered it, but...

LordCran wrote:
    Oh, it was you. I was trying to remember who it was, and was failing utterly. It was my RA group that cleaned up at that disco. Thanks.
    And I wouldn't remember the Hub. N00b this year, y'see. I'm sure I would have remembered it, but...

Oooh! well that makes sense, i just thought you coudln't remember the hub or something! Dont worry you would have remembered it had you been there before this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

I too remember back in the day of canteen discos (and library discos too for that matter, when I was in the mini-ctyi).
    Oddly though, the food realy does seem to improve each year (exepting the orange juice, which invariably tastes like ****[pick one]). Of course, this leads to the question, what did the food taste like in '93?
    ....a matter which may be too disturbing to consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Mr.D.Leprachaun

Outcast wrote:
    Yeah, to give credit where credit is due the Ra's tryed pretty damn hard to sort something. And putting the tables back on the last night with people crying their eyes out was a classic moment
    Certainly bloody wasn't for us who had to do it! There's me in a hurry to get some sentimental things done and I have to arrange furniture! Badly! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Hehehe, i sweeped that floor, then aileen slagged me over my sweeping technique, so i went on crowd control :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Mr.D.Leprachaun

Amusing story: Disco 2 S2 '05. I was sitting down waiting for a good song to come on when I noticed a little mouse strolling across the floor. I was the only one who saw it and it seemed to find the goings on nothing out of the ordinary. Always brings a giggle to think of what havoc would have been caused if one particular girl in high-heel sandals had noticed that it was less than 3 inches from her exposed toes! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Love

LordCran wrote:

Sorry! Hub = better

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

All you youngsters are being somewhat misled or at least you don't understand.

1998 - disco was in the old restaurant (same place as the new one)
    1999 - there was no restaurant so the building across from it (now CSD/Computer Services) was the restaurant and that's where the disco was
    2000 - the new restaurant was there and so were the discos

It's not, nor was it, the library - in the way you're thinking of it. It may have been a study area in the past but that's somewhat different. It wasn't used to house books, to my knowledge.

Well, there's proof that we should stop talking about things we only have vague ideas about. Maybe I should actually ask Kevin at some point, instead of using him as an excuse to post here...

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭JenLorigan

Kevin are cool! Tell him I say hi.

He was my TA. I don't make random people say hi to their siblings from me.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Johnee

halenger wrote:
    All you youngsters are being somewhat misled or at least you don't understand.

1998 - disco was in the old restaurant (same place as the new one)
    1999 - there was no restaurant so the building across from it (now CSD/Computer Services) was the restaurant and that's where the disco was
    2000 - the new restaurant was there and so were the discos

It's not, nor was it, the library - in the way you're thinking of it. It may have been a study area in the past but that's somewhat different. It wasn't used to house books, to my knowledge.

You see, this is the problem with you youngsters. The CSD-Computer Services building was the old library back in the days when DCU was a lot smaller, there was only the one (old) residence, there were several football pitches and the nipple-topped library was but a distant dream.

CTYI students would have used the library/CSD/'99 temporary disco building as evening study way back in the 93-97 period when it was the only library on campus. Apparently DCU students didnt need much in the way of books.

As I said, study area - not library in the sense of having rows of books.

No point in calling me a youngster, even though I am in with regard to some people - I was there back when there were football pitches.

Nevermind "nipple-topped" library. I remember when there was no X-Block. That was just being started when I started at CTYI.

Then again I know people who were in DCU in '89 and they'd put you and your '93 to shame. :) Back in the days when there was Albert College and there was Grattan (at best).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Johnee

No, it was a library. The college library. Books on the ground floor, periodicals on the first floor and an extension where they had all the newspapers available on microfilm.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Shiney

The fees for CTYI have gone up for next year. Residential is 1000euro and Communter is 500euro

Johnee: Ah go away. I know what I'm talking about and you know what you're talking about. Enough said.

they've gone up again?
    ah well unfortunatly it doesn't concern me anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Shiny: How'd you find this out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

My school has a Talent Search 06 leaflet up....maybe hers does too?

2 of my friends got leaflets the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Oh, well our school works on a 'everyone is equally smart' policy so we dont have any up.

they keep it quiet in my school. they only give leaflets to about 2 or 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Back in the day, the career guidance teacher approached me to tell me about it. This was several months after I'd already done the SAT.

Advertisement