Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

VISTA - Just Installed it. PICS included.

• 29-07-2005 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Or Longhorn Build 5112.

Haven't got the wireless working yet so got switch back to XP to post his.

Seems pretty stable so far. Recognised my 6600GT, had to install sound drivers manually.

Looks very nice.

9lk8id.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

wtf. Vista? Neverheard called this.
    Is this longhorns offical name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Yup, kinda crappy name though, I really liked "XP", Do you think it could be used as your primary OS, Im just after doing a fresh install of XP 2 days ago and Im thinking of just installing it over XP to try out for a while, Or I might just try a Dual boot?

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

definately do a Dual-boot. stability seems ok but its just not compatible enough with 3rd party software.
    Having said that all i cant get going is the wireless intenet. If it did work I'd probably use as my main OS for a while.

It makes it easy to allow you to add it to your system if XP already exists on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Did I not read somewhere did Microsoft were going to use a standard user as default instead of everyone having Administrator logged in as default, for security measures ?
    It's not been like that with all the screens I've seen.
    Like linux has done for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Ste- wrote:
    Did I not read somewhere did Microsoft were going to use a standard user as default instead of everyone having Administrator logged in as default, for security measures ?
    It's not been like that with all the screens I've seen.
    Like linux has done for years.
    Yes indeedy you did. And about fuggin' time too.

Mind you, I would assume that since everyone who has downloaded it so far would be an MSDN subscriber, they would want to play with the Admin options.

• Advertisement

Can you order it on cd yet, evaluation one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Webmonkey wrote:
    Can you order it on cd yet, evaluation one?
    Only if you have an MSDN subscription, and it will be released to selected people via the Microsoft Beta site on August 3rd.

I see. Cool thanks man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

eh ive also installed this i cant get my sound drivers to work at all and when i run the installed i get xp only

also if anyone knows how do i get the transperent effect windows

also net is slower but i blame windows firewall ima try with it off now and ill post what happens

update:sound workin still no idea on transperency

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Transparency has stumped me too. Got a few hacks installed but it's still not working. Try TweakVista.

tryed it ive even got the ati drivers installed

my card tnot compatable but the hacks should do it.....i installed the ati dna hacked drivers for all cards mine is a radeon 9250 128MB

You need the drivers that are marked LDDM. Then download TweakVISTA and select the "Enable DWM on unsupported cards". I just got it working on my 6600GT but I only have a choice of 3 resolutions at the moment.

desktop.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

looks sweet totally looks like a linux os i assume it has high specs?

High enough. It can be pretty slow on an AMD 64 3000+ 1gig ram 2x200gigs in Raid 0 with a 6600GT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I presume this os will be taking advantage of 64bit computing, if so is there any notable difference?

I don't have the 64 bit version so I don't know.

the official lddm wont work with my card but ive hard tell of a copy with a hacked inf floating around if anyone knows where to get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Just wondering if Vista has Multiple Desktops like KDE/Gnome in Linux has, I remember hearing a while back it was supposed to be in it. But just looking at these screenshots they dont seem to be present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

So they released a new colour scheme for XP.

So what ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i see paint has gotten a much need makeover and new tools lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Cremo wrote:
    i see paint has gotten a much need makeover and new tools lol
    Yes, it hardly looks at all like the version bundled with Windows '95. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

silas wrote:
    Just wondering if Vista has Multiple Desktops like KDE/Gnome in Linux has, I remember hearing a while back it was supposed to be in it. But just looking at these screenshots they dont seem to be present.

Should do, Windows has actually supported multiple desktops for a long time, they just didn't add it to the interface for some reason. You can download a PowerToy from MS that lets you use multiple desktops on XP (2000 too, AFAIK, I think all versions of NT have virtual desktop support)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Should do, Windows has actually supported multiple desktops for a long time, they just didn't add it to the interface for some reason. You can download a PowerToy from MS that lets you use multiple desktops on XP (2000 too, AFAIK, I think all versions of NT have virtual desktop support)
    Thanks I found and downloaded all the PowerTools, great collection of stuff altogether, never even knew they existed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

isnt vista suppoed to be gone absolutely mad on drm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Scruff wrote:
    isnt vista suppoed to be gone absolutely mad on drm?
    Not from what I could see, then again the stock install only has WMP10.

I installed Vista yesterday and I have to say, I don't like it one bit. Some of the newer bells and whistles are looking ok, like the very fadey, 3Dness of all the windows, and how they open and close. I'm sure under the hood there have been alot of changes but from what I've seen so far they're yet again copying things that have been in the Mac OS for years, particularly Mac OSX. For me, there's not enough new things in this OS to warrent a seperate OS release, it's just XP with a few bells and whistles. And I don't care what M$ say, there's no way Longhorn or Vista has been built from the ground up, hell when I installed one of the very first alpha versions all those moons ago, the OS title in my computer said 'Microsoft Windows XP Longhorn'. Surely there's not going to make that kind of mistake if it was built from the 'ground up'.

Not to mention that even installing the damned OS is a hassle within itself. For some reason this release of Longhorn refuses to install onto anything that isn't the Master Hard Drive, something which I simply cannot understand and have done with countless other OS installs, be it Windows, Linux or FreeBSD.

There's another thing to that annoys me about installing Vista, the installation process itself. It's way too simplistic, it's like staring at a screen that says 'hey dumbass, just click here and get on with it already, you obviously don't know what you're doing'. The install routine gives you absolutely no information as to what it's doing either, just says 'Please Sit Back And Wait Whilst We Install Windows'. It's just M$ pandering to the masses of people who don't know any better again and to be honest if they're too stupid to install an OS onto their PC (not that they'll have to thanks to M$ licensing) then they shouldn't have one, period, no matter how 'Easy' they make it.

Ok, rant over, now deleting Vista Partition.

Advertisement