Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading processor?

Options
  • 29-07-2005 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

Friend has p4 1.7Ghz, 384 mb ram. plays fm05, old games that don't need a lot of grfx. Would there be much point in upgrading too a 3Ghz prescott and an extra 256 ram. Not looking to break the bank just give a new lease of life. Would he need any additional cooling for running at stock as prescotts get very hot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

assuming the P4 1.7ghz is a socket 478 you'll need to be sure the mobo supports 800FSB for one of the latest skt 478 chips. If it only supports 533FSB then the best CPU available is the 3.06Ghz Northwood with HT. Either way you'll need a better heatsink than the one on your current CPU.

Inqui

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

You would want to make sure that the motherboard will take a 3ghz PCU. But if you got a new CPU it should make a differince.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

going from a 1.7ghz p4 to a prescott 3.0ghz you will notice a fair bit of preformance increase and the ram will help also, it would be a good idea to upgrade your cpu alrite. As mentioned you'd have to check if mobo can take a 3ghz prescott, what make+model is the mobo (and if you buy a retail box of a 3ghz prescott you will get a heatsink with it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

a 3 year old Dell ffrom the 4300 series(remember them?). n retrospect it probably won't take the processor as it would not support the 800Mhz fsb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

it would, it just wouldn't run at 800MHZ FSB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

But is the speed not the front side bus times the multiplyer or am i confusing it with bus speed times the multiplyer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

That chip is 100mhz FSB, and the mobo in that comp uses the Intel 845 chipset. Check in the bios to see if there is any option to change the FSB from 100mhz to 133mhz. If it only supports 100mhz, which Quad Pumped is 400mhz, then you cannot upgrade. If it supports 133mhz then, as I stated previously, the best chip you can get hold of is the 3.06ghz Northwood with HT.

Inqui

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I reckon its a 423 socket. Does it have 256 L2 cache. If so i think they stopped at 2Ghz but if its 478 its a 850 chipset so 2.4Ghz will be your limit. You'll have to get a P4a aswell as the base frequency is 100MHz. P4b use 133 and p4c & e uses 200Mhz

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

buy him an A64 bundle on komplett.ie

Advertisement