Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Installing a new DVD drive having a problem

• 29-07-2005 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

My DVD drive quit on me and had to get a new one,

I installed it as they said,, but it wont work, and it's knocked my other driver out aswell.

When i start the computer up.. while it's starting i can press the Eject button on the new driver and it will work, open and close no problem, but when it gets to a point in the start it it will go dead, and not work from then on, but if i restart and press eject in teh strat up it will eject and close no pronlem on seem to happen when windows is started. (i'm running XP home)

I've tried to install new hardware from the control panel. but it doesnt find it,

Neither of the driver are in my device manager,

any ideas???

none of them are working,

Just to add the computer came with 2 drives, 1 CD R and 1 DVD drive.

The DVD one broken and as you read above i got new one, the other drive the CD R one stll has power to it, it wil open and close , but nothing else..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

i switched the drives around so the new one is at the bottom and it worked.

if i get any more problems i'll post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

I presume the jumpers are set correctly...Maybe when you switched them you tightened a power cable. Anyway hope it stays fine for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'd imagine your old one your still using was configured as master or slave, and the new one was on cable select, so when your swapped them around it picked the other one.
    Ah, you know what i mean.

Advertisement