Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help picking a watch

• 29-07-2005 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭

Currently wearing this tag, have had it now for 4.5yrs was girlfs 21st pressy to me :p

cyrusir-DSC00031.JPG

Anyway looking for something new, cant afford anything too fancy and as far as i can see in the medium price bracket theres nothing to touch seiko.

Cant decide between these two

SEIKO_SPORTURA_WATCH_SNG029.jpg

or this

SNA017b.jpg

leaning towards first, like the carbon fibre effect

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

i have a omega seamaster and it is by far and away the nicest watch out there, especially in automatic form. everything about it screams quality that no other watch can match including rolex or any of the other stuff like breitling etc etc.

as far as seiko goes, they do a LOVELY one which i am considering buying, and wearing occasionally when not wearing the heavy seamaster. . this is the one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=55196&item=5016529986&rd=1&ssPageName=WD2V
    lovely looker in my opinion.
    ps retail is 375 euro for that here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

thats nice lomb, you're a man of taste re the omega ;)

thanks, i bought it after reading this review http://www.spiffle.com/mix/seamaster/fullreview
    i got the auto as i prefer it, i dont really like quartz watches but that new titanium one with the time superimposed on the dial digitally is super high tech, it looks lovely in real life.
    that tag u have is very nice why not keep wearing it?its an auto as well so really ur not going to beat it. can i ask how many seconds a day it gains or loses and whether it gains or loses that consistantly. the omega is super precise loosing exactly 4 seconds a day, consistantly day in day out.

sorry whats quartz, is that the movement?

I like my tag but im just a bit bored wearing it every day thats all, id like something new, owuldnt mind starting a little collection actually :)

my tag needs a service loses about 5 minutes every fortnight or so :o

have you seen that digi seiko in real life, is it that nice? my main prob is that the face isnt sapphire, and id hate a scratched watch, thats one of the best things about the tag, indestructible!!

how much did the omega cost (if you dont mind me asking!)

Cyrus wrote:
    sorry whats quartz, is that the movement?

I like my tag but im just a bit bored wearing it every day thats all, id like something new, owuldnt mind starting a little collection actually :)

my tag needs a service loses about 5 minutes every fortnight or so :o

have you seen that digi seiko in real life, is it that nice? my main prob is that the face isnt sapphire, and id hate a scratched watch, thats one of the best things about the tag, indestructible!!

how much did the omega cost (if you dont mind me asking!)

i got the omega for sterling 845 delivered to me in the uk from www.watchfinder.co.uk, they seem to be cheaper than anyone else and their watches come with warranty and are def genuine.

yes i have seen the seiko in real life, where im not sure!i think it was in one of gthe jewellers in the square, tallaght but dont hold me to that.

yes saphire crystals are a godsend. although i have whacked my omega off everything the glass is 110% as new, not even the slightest mark the same as your tag no doubt.

actually loosing time doesnt mean it needs servicing, it means it has loosened up, believe it or not gaining time means the mechanism is stiff, and needs to be pulled apart. it actually works in reverse, as long as it is a consistant loss of 20 seconds a day then there is no problem, it can be opened and adjusted easily even by yourself after some careful reading on the internet.

yes quartz is the movement powered by batteries, i prefer a mechanical watch preferably one thats self winding so i dont have to twiddle with it everyday.

• Advertisement

cool i didnt know that :) must check one day what kinda time it loses

so do you think if i get a seiko i should get a kinetic?

i have the tools if u want that can open it if u want a loan. u really need to read up on it, as u can EASILY scratch the back if the tool slips, also u will need a jewellers screwdriver as i dont have one fine enough, u need the TINNIEST fraction of a turn on the adjustment wheel to the + mark, it is fairly simple actually but u need a fine hand. i wont do it for u in case something goes wrong but u are welcome to borrow the tools for a few days if u want but ul def need to buy or order a jewellers screwdriver absolutely ultra ultra fine, with a flat head, i cant desicribe to u how small the screw really is it is tiny!

beats me whether u should get a kinetic, i suppose if u like the watch go for it. the glasses on them do scratch even though they call them 'hardlex' crystal glass. batteries are cheap anyway and if u have a tool to open a watch then they are easily replaced.

thanks for the offer i may take you up on it some day :)

Some of the higher end seiko's have sapphire ie second one listed.

I just wondered would u recommend kinetic as it is self powered instead of quartz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭boardsee

Just make sure its not a Fiat/Alfa as i hear there not the best in the reliability scales.

:confused:

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote:
    thanks for the offer i may take you up on it some day :)

Some of the higher end seiko's have sapphire ie second one listed.

I just wondered would u recommend kinetic as it is self powered instead of quartz?

no probs, and didnt know some have saphires, i suppose kinetics never need batteries and their warrantys are good, but to be honest i cant see the point , u can buy 5 batteries on ebay for 10 and they will last years. u will get at least 3 years out of 1 battery. if u have a tool to open it then u can change it urself.

also kinetics are dearer than the normal ones. it all depends whether u like the look of the watch , i was looking at watches today and i can honestly say i didnt like a single rolex in the window or any other omega except my own or any breitling , the only watch i saw today i liked was the tag carrera! its horses for courses, whatever floats ur boat!watches are a discretionary purchase especially a nice one, no one needs a watch even anymore with most mobiles having the time built in.

boardsee wrote:
    Just make sure its not a Fiat/Alfa as i hear there not the best in the reliability scales.
    lol :D

lol, im a bit like that when i get into things it becomes a bit of an obsession!

SNA017 is the second one listed, is it not nice in person? it can be got on ebay for circa €300 from reputable dealers, good bit less than the 495 it is here.

Id spend around 300 i spose any recommendations?

anyone hear of those u-boat watches, they look very like those expensive pan something or others

are they just a rip off

i try avoid singapore etc as chances are you get hit by customs, generally uk or germany for me!

thanks for the advice, opinions and links!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

edit: images on members.boards.ie are currently b0rked!

I originally bought one of these...
    Citizen_Skyhawk_Titanium
    Citizen_Skyhawk_Titanium.jpg

but then I realised that it was far too expensive (€550 in Europe! I got mine from Canada for a good bit less, the stainless steel version is much cheaper at about €200) to be worn everyday! I now only wear it when I'm trying to look sharp.

So I had to go and buy this...
    Casio PRG-60t
    Casio_prg_60t.jpg

which costs something ridiculous in Europe (€300!) but can be gotten for less than half that in Hong Kong. It's my everyday watch and I treat it like crap but it still looks fine. The (rechargable) battery went funny in it and I had to remove it, reset the watch and put it back in, other than that it's been through a lot of abuse including prolonged swimming in the Adriatic. Don't like some aspects like the single alarm and no countdown timer.

saw that still much cheaper online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I want this one (on the left)

B00028WWTW.01-A164N6M12PLVJT._SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif10A05b.gif

Stupid Amazon.com not shipping this outside of the US. :mad:

The one on the right is one I can get shipped to here. Still prefer the first one though.

what make model are they??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sorry, should really have given details.

The one on the left is a Wittnauer W6245100, a sub brand of Bulova watches iirc. List price $525, sale price $249 on amazon. Linkage

The one on the right: Wittnauer Men's Orpheum Stainless Round Blue. Rough sale price: $359 Linkage

Another I like and am tempted by: P417558.jpg

Another Bullova sub brand:

Accutron Men's Black Dial Chronograph Watch. List $650 (Outlet Sale) $170
    25 year warranty, as per Bullova products. Linkage

List price is only the recommended retail price from the manufacturer btw. Not necessarily what price you can find it for normally. Although, with watches, it's generally what a jewellers will charge. Useful as a rough idea though.

I'm looking for a dress watch that I could also wear casually, rather than just a watch for around the place. i.e. I want something that will go as well with a suit in work as out in the pub.

I've a weakness for Bulova watches, I think they look nice and work well on "larger" guys. Nothing worse than a small delicate looking watch on a large guy imho.

• Advertisement

that last one posted is nice man! who are bulova? a good brand i take it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

lomb wrote:
    i have a omega seamaster and it is by far and away the nicest watch out there, especially in automatic form.

Nice to see some love for the Seamaster - I wear a Seamaster Chrono Diver on my wrist most days. Don't forget though, it is just a fancy Swatch :)

The new Seamaster Planet Ocean and GMT models are very cool - have a funky co-axial movement.
    lomb wrote:
    it is by far and away the nicest watch out there

Not so sure I agree with you on this though. Lots of very nice pieces out there - I have got an eye on some of the stuff from Blancpain (again, another Swatch SA brand) which are simply stunning. Hard to find a compelling reason to buy one, though...
    bedlam wrote:
    I've just hit the "a watch for every day of the week" milestone.

Any chance of some details? How about some pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This is the most recent watch I bought.. Its 300 sterling online but paid 350 dollars in the State's back in Feb...

pr557b.jpg

Have 4 decent watches that I collected over the past 5 or 6 years but my ould fella keep robbing them and has literally butchered one to death somehow...

Advertisement