Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super King Size Bed ..

• 29-07-2005 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a bed in Ireland that's more than 6' wide ? .. we are looking for a 6' 6" wide or even 7' if such a bed exists. Maybe they're only manufactured for Hotel chains in the US. We've tried a few places around Dublin but they are all saying that 6' is the largest.
    Thanks in advance ..McColl.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

I have seen large beds like that in BT's but they are big bucks, most of the regular stores dont stock anything over 6'. My parents have a 7' in their house but they have that about 20 yrs so no real point in asking them where they got it because I bet they havent a clue, god bless em. Im sure though if you try a few of the destrubutors in the Golden Pages they will give you a lead on where to go, or maybe they might sell direct if you are lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

Why don't you build one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

gregos wrote:
    Why don't you build one?
    you'd still need to source a mattress and that could be difficult & expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

Lex Luthor wrote:
    you'd still need to source a mattress and that could be difficult & expensive.
    True. But if BT's suppliers can find the right size, then so can maccoll. It's not a complicated project to build a bed, and doing it himself he can provide whatever extra design details he requires, such as lighting or storage if required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 maccoll

Yep..we considered building the bed or getting someone to build it but we figured that there was no point if we couldn't get the right size mattress. I haven't tried BT but will check them out.
    A friend of mine found a reference to the following site www.ihg.ie and believe it or not they list a bed which is 6' 6" wide, price of Euro1350. They are located in Naas and Limerick ...so will be checking them out on Tuesday.
    Thanks for the replies..McColl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Im sure classic furniture in blanchardstown have one 7foot bed on display at the moment ! its been a few weeks since I have been in there but im sure its still in stock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Have you tried Brown Thomas on Grafton St?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 rummy

Hi

I have a Super King sized bed and even at that its OVAL!!!

It was my grand-parents bed, then my parents got it, then their house blew up then I got it (long story!!).

Anyway, re: the mattress you can get it made in MATTANAGH which is a furniture shop on the Ennis Road in Limerick. It was pricey but made to measure perfectly. So maybe you should go with the idea of getting one made and then invest in the mattress. By the way a super king is bigger than a king size so getting sheets is difficult. But the solution you could use is 'suspenders' for bedlinen for beds like this. If you want to find out about the suspenders let me know (this isn't a joke!)

Hope this helps.

maccoll wrote:
    A friend of mine found a reference to the following site www.ihg.ie and believe it or not they list a bed which is 6' 6" wide, price of Euro1350. They are located in Naas and Limerick ...so will be checking them out on Tuesday.
    Thanks for the replies..McColl.
    I know that one in Naas. It's a new shop in the new Town Centre Shopping Mall.
    If you're driving from Dublin, exit at globe & drive towards the town centre.
    After Maxol on left, you will see IHG on your rhs about 200yds in front.

Best to turn right up the road in front of IHG and park round back in multi story.

Have looked inside and thought that place was V.expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

I was in IHG in nass at the weekend. Lovely furniture, quality seems really good and reasonable prices form what I saw. They also have a store some where in Dublin and Cork as far as i know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Hi,

I got a super king size in Jondol in Toughers Business park. Between Naas and Newbridge.

The matress was the same price as the leaba!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tirl

Arranmount in Cork oedered a 6'6" for us last year and I think they are nationwide, but like Rummy says above, the bed linen is a curse to get and very expensive, so try and buy enough when the sales are on. www.topdrawer.ie are great for sales in superking bed linen and i think they have a mail order service.

Rummy would be interested in the suspender theory

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

mccoll, dont usually come in here to this forum but here is what you can do. go to www.club8.com and on there you can design your own bed. They are danish and usually take about 4 weeks to deliever. When you have designed it and are happy with it order it and they will deliever it through furniture designs in tallaght. Or you can just go around furniture designs and pick a bed from in there and tell them you want it in 7' or what ever size. They can and will get you what ever size you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

We got a Super King bed only about 2 years ago in the furniture place on the Long Mile Road juntion with EP Mooney. Obviously I can't remember the name of it but it's opposite Des Kelly and beside the fancy light place.
    But it's a pain in the arse trying to find duvet covers and sheets for it, plus we had to get the matress on special order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if it's so difficult to get mattresses and bed linen, and the bed is so damn expensive in the first place why not just get a regular king size bed? unless you're both 25 stone or planning lots of threesomes i can't see what difference the extra width is going to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

loyatemu wrote:
    if it's so difficult to get mattresses and bed linen, and the bed is so damn expensive in the first place why not just get a regular king size bed? unless you're both 25 stone or planning lots of threesomes i can't see what difference the extra width is going to make.
    I was going to ask the same thing .... Why ??!!

loyatemu wrote:
    ....maybe he has loads of super king size bed duvet, duvet covers and wants a bed to put under them

Thanks to everyone for the helpful info .. will be checking all of them out over the next few days.

Loyatemu and Alun .. just for info ... we don't weigh 25 stone and we're not planning a threesome ... we just want a bigger bed. In case you are interested you can order bedlinen online from the US Stores and they have no problem shipping to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Was in the Ideal home and lighting store in Cork today and they had a super king bed on special for 699.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 rummy

tirl wrote:
    Arranmount in Cork oedered a 6'6" for us last year and I think they are nationwide, but like Rummy says above, the bed linen is a curse to get and very expensive, so try and buy enough when the sales are on. www.topdrawer.ie are great for sales in superking bed linen and i think they have a mail order service.

Rummy would be interested in the suspender theory

T

My aunt sent me Elastic Garters which you attach to one side of the bed and then stretch them underneath the bed and clasp it to the other side and the sheets are kept in place. I believe she got themfrom kleeneze (bar code = 012754252913)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Auster

I bought one in January €1700 for a 6 6 X 7 foot sleigh bed including the matress
    Can't remember the name of the furniture shop but if you're standing at the back entrance of Jervis Street shopping street at Abbey street its on the street opposite you on the left hand side
    The sheets and duvet covers are easy to get as well , Arnotts definitely have them , so do BTs and Clerys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tirl

maccoll wrote:
    Loyatemu and Alun .. just for info ... we don't weigh 25 stone and we're not planning a threesome ... we just want a bigger bed. In case you are interested you can order bedlinen online from the US Stores and they have no problem shipping to Ireland.
    do you have any specific sites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Was in the Straffan Antiques shop yesterday, (on opposite corner of junction to Barberstown castle, on main road from Clane to Celbridge).

They had some super king beds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

For ease of supply (bedlinen, mattress, etc) and sleeping comfort als consider the following.

On the continent most double beds are made in one single frame, with two seperate slatted bases and two mattresses next to each other. These come in either 90 or 100 cms wide and 200 cm long.

This gives you a 1.8 or 2 m wide bed with the added advantage that because of the two mattresses you can sleep much more undisturbed while still being next to each other.

Continental size linen and mattresses are becoming ever more widely available and you can still build the frame yourself, if you wish.

Advertisement