Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10th planet discovered

Options
  • 30-07-2005 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

"Astronomers at Palomar Observatory Discover a 10th Planet Beyond Pluto"
    http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~mbrown/planetlila/

It's funny that this story was around for a while today but no major sites picked up on it that promptly, clearly it had followed on from the previous announcement about 2003 EL61 very quickly, I suppose the American team could live with someone stealing their thunder about that, but not on this one!

Also if you look in the URL you may get a hint as to what they propose calling it...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4730061.stm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

This is actually really exciting. I hope they relegate Pluto to the large planetoid status and give the new guy a place on the Planet team. 9 is a good number. 10 is too human and mathematical for the universe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭falteringstar

Would it not be 11th, I thought Sedna was a planet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd be reluctant to describe any of those three planets, Pluto is a ball of ice with a daft orbit, Sedna is 3 times further away than Pluto, beyond the Kuiper Belt, now this one which is larger than Pluto but again with a very eliptical orbit but I suppose if the orbit is around the sun no matter in what fashion then its a planet.

2003ub313.gif

Oh yes 2003 EL61 another "planet" with a moon was also offically announced yesterday.

Handy graphics here which show just how far out 2003 EL61 is at its furthest point.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Would it not be 11th, I thought Sedna was a planet?
    Sedna got demoted to planetoid apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

whats the difference between planetoid? and stuff?

and how can a planet have a daft orbit

sorry for the questions i am interested but big huge texts blow my mind .. Summarys r0x0r my panties

thanks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

afew ceturies ago this would be huge news...but no one gives a s**t anymore

they should name it peanut

lol.... I think they named it after a chocolate bar instead...

milka%20lila%20pause%20nuss.gif
    or maybe

13495.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kurisu

we should name the tenth planet rupert for douglas adams

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It is fascinating news. It is of interest to anyone interested in astronomy and it has made the general news too. With Discovery currently in orbit, it also adds to this being topical.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Staying on the purple theme instead of Lila, how about ...
    leela.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

whats the difference between planetoid? and stuff?

and how can a planet have a daft orbit
    A planetoid is a rock that orbits the sun but isn't big enough to be considered a planet. (Pluto is only 1/10 the volume of Mercury.)

A daft orbit is one that is several degrees off the other planets' orbits: it goes too far "up" on one side and too far "down" on the other

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Given that Pluto's status as a planet has been pretty much in question now for over a decade, and the fact that astronomers have been finding increasing number of icy "planetoids" in the Kuiper Belt for much the same time, I think that we should be really careful about proclaiming the discovery of a 10th planet. If the newly discovered object was the size of, say, Neptune, there would be no arguement but this discovery is a blurred category in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

would it not be a little bit late in the day and unecessary to reclassify pluto? its only difference is they'd be adding oid on the end. it would still be recognised by the majority of people.

is sedna definitely an 'oid now?

and this new one?

Advertisement