Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SG:1 - 9x03 - Origin (Part 3) [SPOILERS]

• 30-07-2005 3:44am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well then what did you make of 'Stargate SG:1 - 9x03 - Origin (Part 3)' ? Post your opinions here!! And vote too! Yay for voting!

What did you think of Stargate:SG-1 - 9x03- Origin (Part 3)? 30 votes

Excellento! Me likey.
    0%
    Pretty darn good
    36%
    D-Generatem1keastrofoolIvanmedjamr_angryOmegaRedmobDunnersLord OzTurdle 11 votes
    Hmm? Hmm...
    46%
    suttyPing Chow Chi_Kaiser_bkehoeStarkScruffMr EWintersixoystackeyeNukemMiloangry_foxLochaber 14 votes
    You know when you don't have much money? Yeah like that
    16%
    Pepe LeFritsjhegartycregsermadrabis_that_so 5 votes
    I'd rather have a Goa'uld wrapped around my medulla
    0%

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Hmm? Hmm...
    Hmm quite enjoyed this one. Originally, when I heard of an all new "more powerful than the Goa'uld" enemy for Season nine I was apprehensive because I didn't see how they could justifiably be introduced without us having met them before. The way it's done here, and the fact it's SG1 who bring them to us (opps!) is actually quite believable - it fits in snugly with established mythology.

I also get a sense of menace from the Ori. The trouble with the Goa'uld, for the past few seasons, is that SG1 kept taking out the lead guy: Apophis, Sokar, and then Anubis. Ba'al never even had the appropriate sense of threat. Any new Goa'uld that came along would clearly be defeated. These evil Ancients though are different though... And I really liked the Prior's performance. Full on Zealot without the campness that sometimes accompanied First Primes and the like.

Mitchell probably didn't get enough to do this week - he just ran around on a few errands. OK, he showed some smarts destroying the communication device but I felt he should've been fleshed out a little more. Teal'c and Gerak could be interesting - it seems likely that there's going to be a divise split over the Ori within the Goa'uld Free Nation.

Daniel was in his element here and he worked well with Vaya who had toned her performance down a bit.

All in all, pretty good and a solid establishment of S9's direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hmm? Hmm...
    Not a bad episode. I understand it was really just a setup episode (introducing the Ori) so I'm hoping the best is yet to come.

Julian Sands (with red eyes) was pretty cool, though.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Hmm? Hmm...
    I did enjoy this episode. The Ori seem to pose a very dangerous threat due to their added powers. I do wonder how our regular weapons will hold up against them. Yer man just burst into flames before they even got to use anything so we wont seem to know yet.

Although, I do think the Ori are meddling in lower plans of existance so how the Anchients take this im not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Pretty darn good
    Fantastic episode. i was pretty reluctant in the begining, as to where the whole season was going, but this works nicely, as far as I'm concerned.

Good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Pretty darn good
    Great episode, though it made me realise how much the show has changed over the years, there seems to be less focus on earth's ancient cultures and it's more like star wars or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Pretty darn good
    Wow.

After the first two episodes, I was skeptical ove where they were going with the whole storyline. Now I'm beginning to see what the build-up was for, and it was worth the wait. The one thing that disappointed me was that they actually showed the Ori (or the Flames of Enlightenment). I think the menace would have been better portrayed by their absense. I was a little dismayed at them being parasitic too - I thought that was a little stale at this stage, especially if their power was comparable to the Ancients.

Interesting stance on creation too - the Ori claim to have created the peoples on whatever world that was, yet they found evidence that the Ancients had visited there, contradicting that mantra. Clearly the Ori are surpressing the truth. Yet at the same time, they may well have created the population of that world in the same manner as the Anicents re-seeded the Milky Way with life using the machine at Dakara. And yet at the same time, the Ori offer "enlightenment", and reveal the secrets of the universe to anyone who achieves that enlightenment. They implied that the Ancients do not offer this, and are selfish. However, there seems to be an obvious contradiction there - Oma Desala did offer a path to enlightenment, and once there, the ascended beings had access to all the great knowledge. In a similar fashion, it would appear that one must reach enlightenment through the guidance of the Ori to attain these secrets their way. The only obvious difference is the path to enlightenment - Oma Desala, or The Ori.

My favourite line in the episode was Daniel talking about "fire" and its perception on Earth. "At some point it became associated with demonic imagery". A little worrying? I'd say so. The Priors were excellent though - I'm really liking their role in this so far. Thats the main reason why I gave this episode full marks. They inspired a true sense of apprehension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hmm? Hmm...
    Hands up who thinks a member of SG1 will meet the Flames up close and personal before the end of the series? A Jackson Prior would be pretty cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Pretty darn good
    My money is on Landry or the doctor. They're "dispensible". Or maybe one of the Jaffa.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

mr_angry wrote:
    My money is on Landry or the doctor. They're "dispensible". Or maybe one of the Jaffa.
    I don't think they'd do Landry, his vaguely teddy-bear like appearance would spoil the effect, and I don't think they'd do the doctor either, 'cos I don't think you're supposed to fancy them...

The new Jaffa leader though, I'd put a punt on that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Hmm? Hmm...
    Once again i have to retract last weeks statment. Thats 2 good and 1 bad.
    This looks interesting - get the Asguard fleet we gotta the game on here(if only).
    Something occurs; imagine introducing one of those fellas to a Wraith? Oh the possibilities.

Thought that guy looked familar and i thought he looked like Jeremy Irons but younger!

Nukem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I actually thought he looked like Jeremy Irons too. I was begining to think I was going mad!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Nukem wrote:
    Something occurs; imagine introducing one of those fellas to a Wraith? Oh the possibilities.
    LOL yeah I thought of that myself while watching it, imagine a Prior preaching to a rabid Wraith :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Hmm? Hmm...
    kaids wrote:
    rabid Wraith :D

Poor Steve all he wanted was a snack :o

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Dunners

Pretty darn good
    All I can say about all three opening episodes...

...Hallowed Are The Ori.

One thing that did bug me though was when the Ori spoke. Am I the only one who thought it sounded too much like the Borg? I would have preferred a more organic sound to the multiple voices, like a demonic choir rather than a group of people linked by whirry machine noises.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mob

Pretty darn good
    just watching this episode again and i never noticed the first time but they were trying to turn jackson into a prior when they said the others are protecting you.

i love new things when i rewatch episodes

Advertisement